• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Stand Back and Stand By

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by whatbogsends, Sep 30, 2020.

1. whatbogsends

whatbogsends Senior Veteran

+6,403
    Atheist
    Trump was given a softball question at the debate, and he answered it just like I would have expected him to. He not only refused to condemn white supremacists, but he tacitly acknowledged they were his boys and they should wait in the wings.

Wallace: I'm asking you a question. (Interrupted). You have repeatedly criticized the Vice President for not specifically calling out Antifa and other left wing extremists groups. But are you willing tonight to condemn white supremacists and militia groups and to say that they need to stand down and not add to the violence of the cities that we saw in Kenosha and that we saw in Portland.

Trump
    : I'm prepared to do that. I would say almost everything I see is from the left wing, not from the right wing.

Wallace
    : Well what do you say?

Trump
    : I'm willing to do anything...I want to see peace.

Wallace
    : Then do it, sir.

Trump
    : Who do you want to call them? Give me a name. Who would you like me to condemn.

Wallace
    : White supremecists. Proud Boys.

Trump
    : Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what - somebody's gotta do something about Antifa and the left, because this is not a right wing problem, this is a left wing...

The exchange begins at 1:05:20 into the video (full video of the debate):

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. KCfromNC

KCfromNC Regular Member

+9,983
    Atheist
    Private
    To me the most important part of the quote is here :

Trump: Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what - somebody's gotta do something about Antifa and the left, because this is not a right wing problem, this is a left wing...
    Instead of condemning violent white supremacist groups, he's giving them orders of who to target.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  3. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+6,371
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Look with your own eyes at an inside video with one of the Portland area Proud Boys.

It's very informative, and you see that violence in Portland has been increased (significantly) by this clash of groups --

Sympathetic and fair and useful inside look:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,170
    Christian
    Single
    What exactly do you think "stand back and stand by", means?

5. Quartermaine

Quartermaine Well-Known Member

+1,365
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Just a guess on my part "keep your guns loaded and wait for my signal...."

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+2,679
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    It means both the President of the United States of America and the “Proud Boys” acknowledge that Trump is their leader and that that “leader” has issued instructions to “wait until I say ‘go’!”

Why?
    What did you think it meant?

7. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+4,308
    Seeker
    I’m not sure he meant it that way, but at best it was careless. And if the responses I’ve from them are any indication, they took it the way.

8. JosephZ

JosephZ Well-Known Member

+931
    Philippines
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. JosephZ

JosephZ Well-Known Member

+931
    Philippines
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    The media has been heavily reporting on his "stand back and stand by" remark and it's been trending on social media. It's been many hours since the debate and Trump has been active on Twitter both last night after the debate and much of today. If he didn't mean it the way many are taking it, including the proud boys, then why hasn't he issued a statement or tweeted that people are taking what he said the wrong way. His silence speaks volumes.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Kenny'sID

+6,170
    Christian
    Single
    Thanks for the reply.

11. Kentonio

Kentonio Well-Known Member

+8,655
    France
    Atheist
    Single
    As Maya Angelou famously said “When someone shows you who they are, believe them”.

He didn’t ‘mis-speak’ he said exactly what he wanted to say, like he always has.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+16,558
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Everything in his response communicated his disinterest and lack of concern regarding white supremacists. He had to be cajoled into denouncing them and only did so in the most minimal, half-hearted way he could imagine before trying to change the subject back to antifa. Whatever you think he meant by "stand back and stand by", the point he was getting across was that he's not concerned about them.

13. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+8,546
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I think that Trump's shout out to Proud Boys means he is the "UNlawful and DISorderly" president.

BTW, "Antifa" is a buzzword the right uses to lump together isolated individual incidents of vandalism. "Antifa" has no website. No corporate address. No FB page. No Twitter. No instagram. No leadership. No structure.

There is no Antifa.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Kenny'sID

+6,170
    Christian
    Single
    "Go"do what?

Me? I've drawn no conclusion.

15. Kenny'sID

+6,170
    Christian
    Single
  16. Dryskale

Dryskale Itchy, itchy

+53
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    I doubt Trump will have the Proud Boys do anything. I found it to mostly be pandering. It is concerning that Trumpndoes want people to go and Watch the polling places. A couple states have already had to state that anyone comming to monitor the polls at Trumps request there will be attested for intimidation.

17. Tone

Tone "Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great." Supporter

+5,209
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    When they were talking about whether the voting would be fair or not...I gotta tell you...that capital 'C.W.' phrase came to mind. There seemed to be some thinly veiled threats in the exchange.

18. evoeth

evoeth Man trying to figure things out

+1,911
    Atheist
    Married
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+15,716
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    “Yeah, I would say the Democrats owe a lot to Chris Wallace,” responded Santorum. “Because Chris Wallace asked those two questions, not Joe Biden. It was Chris Wallace who asked those two questions. And he asked them for a reason. Because he asked two questions where he was asking the president to do something that he knows the president doesn’t like to do.”

“Which is?” asked Borger.

“Which is, say something bad about people who support him,” replied Santorum. “Right?”

“The white supremacists?” asked David Axelrod, nearly simultaneously with Borger asking, “White supremacy?”

“Well, yeah, the white supremacists,” Santorum agreed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Kenny'sID

+6,170
    Christian
    Single
    I see.