Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Handmaiden,

I will pray for you and the thousands who are losing their jobs during this coming season of the Nativity. I probably will not find a job either after Christmas. The jobless rate is dramatically increasing everywhere in the USA. We are in difficult times and it is criminal.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
okay my baklava recipe:
INGREDIENTS

• 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
  • 1 pound chopped nuts
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup honey

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C). Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. Chop nuts and toss with cinnamon. Set aside. Unroll phyllo dough. Cut whole stack in half to fit pan. Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work. Place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle 2 - 3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top. Top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go. The top layer should be about 6 - 8 sheets deep.
  3. Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. You may cut into 4 long rows the make diagonal cuts. Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
  4. Make sauce while baklava is baking. Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
  5. Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. Let cool. Serve in cupcake papers. This freezes well. Leave it uncovered as it gets soggy if it is wrapped up.
Yes...I freely admit it...I got it here

Though I did reduce the sugar and increase the honey...I think it tastes better...and I also omit the vanilla on occasion...

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
okay my baklava recipe:
INGREDIENTS

• 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
  • 1 pound chopped nuts
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup honey

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C). Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. Chop nuts and toss with cinnamon. Set aside. Unroll phyllo dough. Cut whole stack in half to fit pan. Cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work. Place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle 2 - 3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top. Top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go. The top layer should be about 6 - 8 sheets deep.
  3. Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. You may cut into 4 long rows the make diagonal cuts. Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
  4. Make sauce while baklava is baking. Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
  5. Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. Let cool. Serve in cupcake papers. This freezes well. Leave it uncovered as it gets soggy if it is wrapped up.
Yes...I freely admit it...I got it here

Though I did reduce the sugar and increase the honey...I think it tastes better...and I also omit the vanilla on occasion...

MMmmm yup that's your basic baklava (except I rarely see people use vanilla as a flavoring in Baklava). Basically once you know how to make that, you can tweak the ingredients for different flavors and textures.

One of my all time favorites is made with pistachio nuts, and the syrup is flavored with Rose Water:bigeye:

Walnuts, Almonds, or a combination are great. There are also so many different ways of flavoring the syrup. Some use orange peel (or other citrus), others use cinnamon sticks, others cloves, Blossom Water (A fragrant water made from orange blossoms), Rose Water, and my family favorite is Rose Geranium leaves (aka citronella, and you may think it wierd because of those nasty scented insect candles but as a flavoring in sweets it has a mild fragrance halfway between a citrus and rose and makes for an amazing syrup)....

Now I want Baklava :sigh:

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Definitely salted butter for baklava because it's not getting mixed into a dough or batter. Unsalted butter has that sweet smell that you look for in a cake or frosting and doesn't really fit the flavor profile that you expect from those buttery flaky layers of phyllo. I've even seen a baklava made with olive oil (very distinct flavor, I actually really enjoyed it, but I don't think most people would like that combination)

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Dear Handmaiden,

I will pray for you and the thousands who are losing their jobs during this coming season of the Nativity. I probably will not find a job either after Christmas. The jobless rate is dramatically increasing everywhere in the USA. We are in difficult times and it is criminal.

Thank you Maria, and I too shall keep you in prayer. :crosseo:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Definitely salted butter for baklava because it's not getting mixed into a dough or batter. Unsalted butter has that sweet smell that you look for in a cake or frosting and doesn't really fit the flavor profile that you expect from those buttery flaky layers of phyllo. I've even seen a baklava made with olive oil (very distinct flavor, I actually really enjoyed it, but I don't think most people would like that combination)

Gotcha. Thanks muchly. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Emmanuel-A

Cedant arma togae, concedat laurea linguae
Mar 11, 2005
Paris
✟10,084.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good morning to those who mentioned baklava, to those who like baklava, to those who can make baklava, to those who post baklava pictures, to those who whish they'd knew how to make baklava, and to other baklava friends.

What ? Me ? Obssessed aboud baklavas ? Noooo :yum::tutu:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good morning to those who mentioned baklava, to those who like baklava, to those who can make baklava, to those who post baklava pictures, to those who whish they'd knew how to make baklava, and to other baklava friends.

What ? Me ? Obssessed aboud baklavas ? Noooo :yum::tutu:

Are you hungry Emmanuel?

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, please.:)

I just bottled my Dopple Bock today and it tastes very good! It is kind of hard to get a good feel for the taste of a beer when it is just bottled because it has yet to carbonate, but from what I can tell of the taste I am very happy with the results!

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unfinished ode to Baklava

I choose Baklava to beer any day.
I gag. I choke. I sneeze. I cough. I wheeze.
Whenever I pass by Budweister bay.

Greg, do you have a Baklava recipe or two that you can share?

Luckily the world is big enough for people who do not like beer. It is just good that you don't live on my block!

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
LOL, and here I had Brazilian food for lunch. Still not hungry (oh way too many delicious choices!).

I have heard that there are many Brazilians in Japan.

What does Brazilian food taste like? Now you have got my curiosity.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.