✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Photini,:wave:

A belated thanks for the icon link you gave me.

On your post topic, one of our local Papers here had a Headline this week
"Academic says ADHD does not exist!" I did not get to read the article, but I have long pondered and debated about this current generation just "got" this Syndrome? I was a lively, outspoken kid in class and my teachers could handle me! So what gives?

Anyhow, it's log off time for me. I did confession at Vespers tonight for tomorrow and my fast starts now. I better get some shut-eye.

Good night all.:wave:
May the Blessing of the Trinity and the Protection of our beloved Theotokos and of all the Blessed Saints be with you all.

Many years!

Kolya

I'm pretty sure that it's a bit overprescribed for kids, but I'm equally sure it has given much positive effects to many kids. As an adult with ADD (at times ADHD, you can actually have a combo of both) I can say that the meds made a huge difference. My grades in college went from C average to almost straight As. I got stuff done in a reasonable timeframe and order. And by treating the ADD my constant low grade depression went away which is apparently very common (it masks the symptoms for ADD). We had been treating the depression but it didn't really do much. Then I got a book for my mom about ADD (my brother is very much ADHD) but read it myself first and recognized so many symptoms and it all clicked. I wish my brother had had the option for meds (they weren't common at all when he was still in school) because I believe he would have enjoyed school so much more. It truly helped me a lot and as an adult where you are functional even without meds, being on the meds helped me develop coping skills so now I'm rarely on the meds anymore.
I never had much of side effects, minus the jitters when I didn't think and downed a venti with them :D. I took a very minimal dose.
DH has it too but had a very involved mom and teacher (his elementary school teacher would read all the assignments and texts on tape for him - try to find a teacher like that anymore), but he early learned to self medicate -caffeine. It's funny to see now, he can be all over the place but after a cup or two of coffee he is the most focused person.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Pens have called back the mighty Pesonen!!!! :clap:

SCHWEEEET! :D

Have you ordered his jersey yet? LOL!

Mrs G. bought me a sewn Jack Lambert jersey at the mall on Thurs at a store that was going out of business. She got it for $40 less than the going price for such a jersey.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty sure that it's a bit overprescribed for kids, but I'm equally sure it has given much positive effects to many kids. As an adult with ADD (at times ADHD, you can actually have a combo of both) I can say that the meds made a huge difference. My grades in college went from C average to almost straight As. I got stuff done in a reasonable timeframe and order. And by treating the ADD my constant low grade depression went away which is apparently very common (it masks the symptoms for ADD). We had been treating the depression but it didn't really do much. Then I got a book for my mom about ADD (my brother is very much ADHD) but read it myself first and recognized so many symptoms and it all clicked. I wish my brother had had the option for meds (they weren't common at all when he was still in school) because I believe he would have enjoyed school so much more. It truly helped me a lot and as an adult where you are functional even without meds, being on the meds helped me develop coping skills so now I'm rarely on the meds anymore.
I never had much of side effects, minus the jitters when I didn't think and downed a venti with them :D. I took a very minimal dose.
DH has it too but had a very involved mom and teacher (his elementary school teacher would read all the assignments and texts on tape for him - try to find a teacher like that anymore), but he early learned to self medicate -caffeine. It's funny to see now, he can be all over the place but after a cup or two of coffee he is the most focused person.

I definitely agree that there are authentic cases where the meds are beneficial and make a huge difference. The problem I've seen is with teachers who somehow think they are qualified to diagnose a child. This happened to me when my son was in third grade. His teacher was an older woman and complained about him because he couldn't sit still in class. She also thought he needed to be on anti-depressants in addition to ADHD meds.

I would have considered her opinion seriously if he had problems at home, but this is a child who could sit and read for hours on end. He never had an issue with his grades, and never a complaint from any other teacher. The fact was, that he was insanely bored in her class, and she had ZERO patience with children. I just wonder how many other parents she talked to and how many gave in to her pressure.

Noah finished that year with straight A's. Her diagnosis of my child was totally bogus, and I refused to medicate my child for the convenience of an old bag who needed to retire.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I definitely agree that there are authentic cases where the meds are beneficial and make a huge difference. The problem I've seen is with teachers who somehow think they are qualified to diagnose a child. This happened to me when my son was in third grade. His teacher was an older woman and complained about him because he couldn't sit still in class. She also thought he needed to be on anti-depressants in addition to ADHD meds.

I would have considered her opinion seriously if he had problems at home, but this is a child who could sit and read for hours on end. He never had an issue with his grades, and never a complaint from any other teacher. The fact was, that he was insanely bored in her class, and she had ZERO patience with children. I just wonder how many other parents she talked to and how many gave in to her pressure.

Noah finished that year with straight A's. Her diagnosis of my child was totally bogus, and I refused to medicate my child for the convenience of an old bag who needed to retire.

Photini,

I am glad that you stood your ground.

Teachers and other professionals often think that they know it all, but they do not. As Rus has said in many of his education threads, there is an agenda out there. In the beginning classes in the education curriculum they talk about the philosophy of education where they assert that parents do not have the right to educate their own children because they are biased. Yet teachers refuse to admit their own biases.

In California, there was a lesbian teacher who invited her young students to attend her gay wedding and called it a "teachable moment." Ah, the land of the fruits, nuts, flakes, riots, fires, floods, and earthquakes.

Again, good for you. I am glad that you are a strong woman with the courage to stand up to teachers who believe in drugging America's children so that they will have an easier job. You are right. That teacher should not be teaching. I do pray that she retires soon.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well anyways, I learned pretty quick that once you have a child everyone wants to give you their opinion and advice on what's best and right for your child even when you don't ask for it. I'll be as respectful as I can when someone offers their criticism, but in the end, they are in my care and I have to do what I feel is best. So far they've turned out okay. :)

LOL...my son is a teenager now though, and relayed to me the other day that his family embarasses him. In light of that comment, maybe I am doing something right?! ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Well anyways, I learned pretty quick that once you have a child everyone wants to give you their opinion and advice on what's best and right for your child even when you don't ask for it. I'll be as respectful as I can when someone offers their criticism, but in the end, they are in my care and I have to do what I feel is best. So far they've turned out okay. :)

LOL...my son is a teenager now though, and relayed to me the other day that his family embarasses him. In light of that comment, maybe I am doing something right?! ^_^

Most definitely :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I am having a hard time getting accustomed to thinking of you as being the mother of a teenager...

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Usually that means all is okay.

Like today. There were three acolytes (myself included) plus the subdeacon. We had a bit of a gaffe during the Gospel and so after Liturgy our subdeacon basically had us practice about seven times until we did Gospel stuff to his expectations! I didn't mind, but the other two guys (one is thirteen, the other I believe around nine or ten) seemed to complain when we went through it again! :D

Humility, good for the soul.;):cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.