Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 40:22. He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

Yes I know it doesn't say sphere, but it is round not flat.
Isaiah wrote this around 700 BC when scientists thought the earth was flat.

Job 26:7-10 He spreads out the northern [skies] over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing.
8. He wraps up the waters in his clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their weight.
9. He covers the face of the full moon, spreading his clouds over it.
10. He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters for a boundary between light and darkness.

The earth is basically hanging in space, held to our solar system by gravity. Job is the oldest known book of the Bible and here is very scientific information.

Upvote 0

CJF

...love alters not...
Feb 26, 2002
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,250.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, here is a scripture that tells us God DID create the Earth. Job 26:7-He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

Here is something I found quite interesting. But just so you know, I didn't write it. SO DON'T YELL AT ME!!!

Space Scientist's Discovery
By Harold Hill

Oneof the most amazing thigs happened recently tot he astonauts and space scientists at Green Belt Maryland. They were checking the position of the sun, moon and planets in space and where they would be 100 years and 1000 years from now. We have to know this so that we do not send up a satellite and have it bump into something later on in it's orbits. We have to lay out the orbit in terms of life of the satellite and wgere the planets will be so that the whole thing will not bog down.
They ran the computer measurments back and forth over the centuries and it came to a halt. The computer stopped and put on a red signal, which meant that there was something wrong, either with the information fed into it, or with the results as compared to the standards. They called in the service department and said, "There is something wrong with the I. B. M. equipment." They checked it and said that is was perfect.
The I. B. M. head of operations said, "What's wrong?"
They replied, "Well, we have found that there is a day missing in space in elapsed time over the last thousand years. A day is missing!"
"You cannot have a day missing in elapsed time, because any scientist knows that the sun does the same thing everyday, and so does the moon." They stretched their heads and tore their hair. There was no answer!

Will finish in the next couple of posts. It's kinda long.

Upvote 0

CJF

...love alters not...
Feb 26, 2002
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,250.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Continuing.....

One memeber of the team, who was religious, said, "You know, one time I was in Sunday school and they talked about the sun standing still!"
"Well," they said, "It couldn't stand still, but we don't have any answer, show us!"
"So he got his Bible and went back to the book of Joshua, were they found a pretty ridiculous statement for anybody who has common sense. Here is what they read: The children of God were in some kind of trouble at that particular time, and they were running out of daylight. They needed more daylight to deal with the enemy. The Lord said to Joshua, "Fear them not, for I have delivered them into thine hand; there shall not a man of them stand before thee." (Josh. 10:8) This was telling about a future event as far as Joshua was ceoncerened, because he was surounded by the enemy. There were thousands comming down on them. Well, he had the battle going his way because the battle was the Lord's; but if it got to be night-time the enemy could suround them.
Joshua spoke to the Lord. "Then spoke Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Isreal, and he said in the sight of Isreal, "Sun, stand thou still Gibeon." The sun stood still and the moon stayed." For how long? Until the people had avenged themselves upong thier enemies.
"So the sun stood still in the midts of heaven and hasted not to go down about the space of a whole day." (Joshua 10:12,13)

Will finish the rest in mext post.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Lanakila
Isaiah 40:22. He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

Yes I know it doesn't say sphere, but it is round not flat.
Isaiah wrote this around 700 BC when scientists thought the earth was flat.

Umm, there were no scientists in 700 BC. And at that time, I think there we many differnt views of how the world/universe was constructed.

Upvote 0

CJF

...love alters not...
Feb 26, 2002
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,250.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The spce men said "There's the missing day!" They checked the computers going back in History to the time it was written and found it was close, but not close enough. The elapsed time that was missing in Joshua's day, according to the computers, was 23 hours and 20 minutes, and that is not a day! They read it again, and it does not say a day; it says about a day. That means approximately a day. They said, "That is good, but not close enough for space work; for if you cannot account for 40 minutes, you are going to be in trouble a 1000 years from now. That 40 minutes is multiplied many times in the orbits. Wr have to find the missing 40 minutes."
"Well," this fellow said, "there was another occasion when the sun went backwards."
"They said, "Now you're out of your mind, the sun went backwards? But get the Book. We have no other answer." These were the space exsperts at Green Belt, Maryland, the heads of the program, not a bunch of school kids. These were Ph. D.'s completely baffled. So they turned up 2 Kings 20. King Hezekiah was sick and the doctors told him he was going to die soon. The prophet of the Lord came and said, "You are not oing to die." Hezekiah said, "The doctors say I am going to die. I've got to have something better than your statement." Isaiah said, "That's understandable. What kind of a sign do you want? Do you want to run the sun ahead 10 degrees- make the sun dial shadow go ahead 10 degrees?" No." said Hezekiah. "that's nothing new. It always goes ahead. Run it backwards. That will be different."
Look what it says, "Hezekiah said, It is a light thing for the shadow to go down ten degrees, but let the shadow return backwards 10 degrees. And Isaiah cried unto the Lord and he brought the shadow 10 degrees backwards by which it had gone down on the sundial of Ahaz."
Ten degrees in rotation of the sun and and the earth is 40 minutes by clock. 23 hours and 20 minutes in Joshua, and 40 minutes in 2 Kings make the missing 24 hours the space trackers had to log in the log as being the missing day in the universe. Is not that amazing?

Upvote 0
Darrions,

I feel that you have been taken in by an urban legend. Here is a page on it from snopes, which is a site devoted to addressing urban legends in the internet age.

The Lost Day, part of which is quoted below.

Regardless of the amount of time involved, the discovery of a "missing" period of time remains implausible. If the sun had indeed stood still for a day a few millennia ago, we would have no way of determining that fact through astronomic observations today. We have no frame of reference, no "cosmic calendar" or "master clock" to check against to see if we're overdrawn at the Bank of Time. The concept described here would be like giving someone a non-functioning clock and asking him to determine how much time had elapsed since the clock had stopped running. One could note the positions of the hands on the dial and make a reasonable guess about what the time of day was when the clock stopped running, but without knowing whether that time was A.M. or P.M., and without knowing the calendar date on which stoppage occurred, one could not possibly make any reasonable estimate about how long ago the clock stopped.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CJF

...love alters not...
Feb 26, 2002
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,250.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But we DO have a way of looking back to see if the sun did stop. It's a Book called the "BIBLE." I mean, how many books and/or coursework have you read and stidied on evolution to bring you to the knowledge you have obtained? In comparisson- Have you taken courses from a Bible College or church that teach scripture as truth?

Upvote 0
Originally posted by ashibaka
Beat you to it, Rufus! Hee hee... I was sitting and waiting for her to finish typing it out :p

I honestly wish you had gotten to it earlier to saved her the trouble. This is not a thread to bully or make fun of these two girls and others like them. I hope we can all be on our best behaviors here.

It's not hard to be convinved that science is wrong if you don't haven't been exposed to it yet. We have all been in similar situations, I hope you will act more diplomatically next time.

Upvote 0

CJF

...love alters not...
Feb 26, 2002
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,250.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And Rufus, if it's not hard to be convinced that science is wrong, because we haven't been more exposed to it yet, then wouldn't it be JUST as easy for YOU to be convinced that the BIBLE is wrong because you haven't been more exposed to THAT yet?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ashibaka

ShiiAce
Jun 15, 2002
Visit site
✟9,047.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't trying to be mean... it's just that this board isn't dynamic, and she was busy typing out the third bit when I showed up, so posting it earlier would probably just make her skip it over. Sorry about that.

But we DO have a way of looking back to see if the sun did stop. It's a Book called the "BIBLE."

How do you know the Bible is true? I find it highly suspectable to exaggeration.

wouldn't it be JUST as easy for YOU to be convinced that the BIBLE is wrong because you haven't been more exposed to THAT yet?

Don't assume that Rufus hasn't read his Bible.

Upvote 0

CJF

...love alters not...
Feb 26, 2002
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,250.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm glad you asked asibaka. I know the Bible is ture, but looking around me. Everything that has been happening in the world, today, is predicted in the Bible, LONG before the WTC buildings were even designed. 2 thousand years before we all were born, God gave (John, I think it was) the visions of the End Times, and the signs before the End Times begin. No, the Bible does not mention the WTC, but, it DOES mention earthquakes, wars erupting, and rumors of wars will start to grow. Watch the television ou you will see that wars are happening al over the world, and we are hearng more and more rumors of wars. All of this is predicted in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
People make the same claims about Nostradomus.

Does that make his writings true?

You can squeeze so much into things when you want them there. That's how TV psychics manage to fool people. Cold reading, a technique that works really well, relies on people making themselves believe what they want to believe.

How do you know you're not shoehorning modern events into Revelations in the exact same way some poor woman is shoehorning her husband's words into a psychic's mouth?

Upvote 0
Isn't this thread drifting away from a discussion of science and toward something more appropriate to the General Apologetics thread?

Evolution doesn't have anything at all to say about Bible prophecy or apocalyptic visions, or about the putative fulfillment of them... I think it is important to understand that some people who accept evolution have religious beliefs like Darrions' and others do not. If we are to discuss religious beliefs, lets be sure we don't confuse skepticism with science.

Upvote 0