Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm on am epic road trip with the family to visit grandparents and see lots of sights, so my Internet time is somewhat limited, but I'll have good pics and stories to share. I. kind if getting my groove back after a devistating special election in my state and one too many discussions with Calvinists, so I imagine I'll be back to full posting capacity soon.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Elections? Don't even mention elections.
Not now.
So many mixed feelings and thoughts.
But seriously, sounds like you're up to some cool stuff MG. Hopefully it will clear your mind and get you back to 100%. :)

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have just had a General Election in the UK , Emerald Flame , and much of what you say resonates with me .

I have briefly been on a local forum discussing the election , and I find that it starts to dominate my life . I come away feeling agitated , and that is not a good thing .

I also watch very little news , and I don't think I am missing out on much .

I come on here , and avoid any sections of CF where people are at each other's throats .

By the way , I hope you are feeling better .

Yes, I was always agitated too when I was still involved in politics and native activism. I was frustrated and short tempered most of the time. But now I feel like a whole new person since I've stopped watching the news and stopped my involvement in politics and activism. I'm much happier, more optimistic and I'm not stressed out anymore. I don't feel frustrated or angry anymore either. I'm enjoying life so much more now and I'm branching out to meet new people too. I think making the decision to remove myself from participating in politics and activism was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It has made a world of difference in my life. My physical and emotional health have both significantly improved and so has my spiritual life. My family has noticed the difference in my life and they're very happy about the changes I've made too. We've become closer as a family.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here's a shot from my demo yesterday at the co-op gallery I belong to. I sort of liked it.

DSCN6753.jpeg

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm doing...okay.
Think my depression is flaring up a bit.

Hopefully going to go to a protest on Saturday as part of my being more political thang, with a date. Not sure I can be bothered to go if he changes his mind though...

Other than, trying not to eat too much unhealthy food and get daily exercise.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi all!
I'm back! 4500 miles in the car, lots of visiting, sightseeing, family time, etc. I think I'll start up a new fitness thread tomorrow when I get unpacked...but for tonight I'm exhausted.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
*Pokes head into thread*

Hi everyone. Know I'm a bit late to this party, but life lately has been waaay too busy. I'm on leave at the moment and having time for more random chatting (in this case, while I eat lunch).

Emerald, glad to hear that the changes you've made have been so positive for you. I hadn't realised, and was wondering why I wasn't seeing your name around so much!

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Paidiske. It's good to hear from you again. Yeah, I'm not around as much anymore. I'm trying to keep a healthy distance away from politics and political activism. I've been filling my time pursuing other interests and enjoying the extra time with my family and friends. I feel happier now and I also feel better emotionally and physically too. I'm attending church with my family again and life has generally taken a very good turn for me. My life has immensely improved since I stopped being politically active.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What I'm discovering is that this is a really good time to be a Catholic. As we get roiled by these arguments from the left and the right, I find the Church to be a place of refuge and inspiration. As TLT has quieted down and I've wandered off into other parts of the boards it's not the politics which clang in my ears so much but the cacophony of voices proclaiming a 'gospel according to me'. This was a stumbling block for me for the first 40 years of my life and the boards just serve as a reminder of why I stayed away from the faith for so long.

My pastor tells me that our spiritual journeys are like a walk in the desert. There's time in the oasis, but there's also the long trudges through the dry parts. When I came into TLT I was experiencing a dry time. No crisis of faith, just faithfully moving forward in a totally unremarkable way. The past year here has been good for me, but now as most of us have moved on to other things, I too am feeling called again out to the desert. Thing is, I like it out there. I've made it a point to get out more this year and though I feel a bit selfish about it, I'm really enjoying my time alone in the wilderness.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Emerald, it's awesome you've been able to step away from politics and online debating! I've tried, but get sucked back sometimes.
But it's been a good day today in a lot of ways. I've just picked up my 12 year old from a four day overnight basketball camp. This was his first time staying away from home on his own, and after a rough first night, he got the hang of it more or less...but we texted a lot at night to help stave off the homesickness. He's signed up for another overnight camp in a month....this one is out if state so no option to get picked up easily by mom! This camp was good prep for that one, but for now I'm just glad he's home! His basketball game improved exponentially, which is good because he was asked to play for his small Catholic school last year because they were shorthanded and he's so tall...but he didn't know much about the game..now he's looking forward to next year.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Mountain Girl. I will humbly admit that it hasn't been easy for me to step away from politics and activism. Both were a part of my life for so long and I went 'cold turkey' to willfully separate myself from them. So, it's been a little bit of a struggle for me but I'm doing good considering how many years I was involved in politics and political activism. It is getting a little easier as each day goes by though.

I wanted to share with you about my own children and them being away from home. They have stayed with grandparents out of state and a couple of them have attended church camp. So, they are relatively accustomed to being away from home. I honestly think I miss them more than they miss me or miss being home. My oldest son and daughter (age 23 and 21) already live on their own. My daughter lives about 5 hours from home and my son lives about 45 miles from home. My 20 year old daughter has been talking about moving out soon too. I don't like it, but it's a part of life. I miss my children.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My oldest daughter is coming home this weekend so she can be here for my birthday, which is on Sunday. All seven of my children will be home at once again. I'm really looking forward to that. You know, birthdays just aren't as exciting for me as they use to be. I'm middle-aged now and I find that rather depressing sometimes. Two of my children have already left home and I hardly get to see them anymore because they both work and have their own life now. I've also been thinking of my husband and I celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary in January. I don't know where the time has gone.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I felt my first earthquake last night...it woke me and my youngest son, who called out asking what was going on. It as during a thunderstorm but it didn't feel like the shaking was from a nearby lightning strike. No damage here, seemed like not much serious damage or injuries reported anywhere.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My world is in flames. The mountain just outside Tucson is on fire burning some of my favorite birding spots. It's also a popular spot for recreational shooters. That whole area is shot up. Maybe this will slow them down a bit. :)

We got to go camping over the weekend in some other mountains far, far away. Sunday night, smoke from a distant fire blew in and turned everything a funky bluish/purple color, except for the sun which was reduced to a fiery reddish/orange ball.

Hopefully, the rains will come this weekend.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How awful, Tad. I have been glad it's been raining in California--seems like we need to be praying Arizona gets a little more rain, too.

We were in NY one week and St. Louis the next. In NY we went to the neighborhood my husband grew up with and had a reunion with the kids he grew up with on the block. I enjoyed getting to know his childhood friends better, and, of course, we also visited some family, saw a Broadway musical, "Waitress," and went to Jones Beach. We tried to visit Teddy Roosevelt's home, Sagamore Hill, but it was only open Wednesday-Saturday.

We went to St. Louis for my oldest son's birthday and took in a Cardinals game together and spent an enjoyable weekend with him.

This is my first week of my twenty hour schedule, my way of easing into retirement. I don't expect to do much more traveling for awhile, but we have some fun activities coming up.

• Friendly
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Going to London Pride on Saturday with a date. Will be my first Pride, so it should be interesting.

Will also be my third date with this guy; I've been pretty shy at our last two meets, but he gave me permission to be more romantically assertive since, so I'm looking forward to meeting him again. :p

Watched Soylent Green last night. Wasn't quite what I expected. Felt the love interest was shoehorned in and the ten minutes of them faffing about hurt the pacing of the film, but otherwise, it was good.

Upvote 0