Slave Bible From the 1800s Omitted Key Passages That Could Incite Rebellion

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Slave Bible From the 1800s Omitted Key Passages That Could Incite Rebellion
On display now at the Museum of the Bible in Washington, D.C., is a special exhibit centered on a rare Bible from the 1800s that was used by British missionaries to convert and educate slaves.

What's notable about this Bible is not just its rarity, but its content, or rather the lack of content. It excludes any portion of text that might inspire rebellion or liberation.
"About 90 percent of the Old Testament is missing [and] 50 percent of the New Testament is missing," Schmidt says. "Put in another way, there are 1,189 chapters in a standard protestant Bible. This Bible contains only 232."

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"About 90 percent of the Old Testament is missing [and] 50 percent of the New Testament is missing," Schmidt says. "Put in another way, there are 1,189 chapters in a standard protestant Bible. This Bible contains only 232."
I am reminded of the various passages to not add to or take away from the text.

Deuteronomy 4:2
You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32
“Whatever I command you, you shall be careful to do; you shall not add to nor take away from it.

Revelation 22:18
I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I am reminded of the various passages to not add to or take away from the text.

Deuteronomy 4:2
You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32
“Whatever I command you, you shall be careful to do; you shall not add to nor take away from it.

Revelation 22:18
I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.
I wonder if those passages were removed. But if they were, would an enslaved person who only knows the Slave Bible be affected? It would seem that regardless of the edits, these passages would encourage continued support of slavery.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Quort

May 6, 2017
Elgin
✟10,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suppose that one must be dishonest and take extraordinary measure to keep people convinced that they are not only slaves but are not being unfairly oppressed by those that say they ought to be slaves.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
What's the difference in taking out references of slavery from the Bible, and not believing the references of slavery in the Bible?

Nothing? Both are dishonest.

Quort
Should we take from this that you support slavery?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if those passages were removed. But if they were, would an enslaved person who only knows the Slave Bible be affected? It would seem that regardless of the edits, these passages would encourage continued support of slavery.
I was thinking more along the line of those who removed the texts and what they will have to face on judgement day.

• Agree
Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I changed my vote from "informative" to "useful"

because today in 2018, as in 2017, 2016, 2015, etc.....we still have many people in churches that only hear selected passages, some other passages carefully avoid always, in order that the agenda and ideology/doctrine of the pastor or church is protected from

...from the powerful Living Word, which is sharper than any sword, and would destroy many ideologies people have if they listened to His Word fully.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Should I take it that you don't believe what the Bible says about slavery?
As Tinker is an atheist, I would guess he does NOT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
You should take it that I believe what the Bible says about slavery. Should I take it that you don't believe what the Bible says about slavery?

Quort
Does that mean you would advocate a return to slavery or just that you wouldn't object to it?

Upvote 0

Quort

May 6, 2017
Elgin
✟10,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Does that mean you would advocate a return to slavery or just that you wouldn't object to it?

I'm not sure what it would matter to you as I base my beliefs on the Bible. You don't, so we really don't have much to say on the matter.

Quort

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You should take it that I believe what the Bible says about slavery. Should I take it that you don't believe what the Bible says about slavery?

Quort

What does the bible say about slavery that you believe to be true?

Absolutely.

What does the Bible say about slavery that you find to be incorrect?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's the difference in taking out references of slavery from the Bible, and not believing the references of slavery in the Bible?

Nothing? Both are dishonest.

Quort

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, but here's a passage I bet they took out and made sure to not include:

15 If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand them over to their master. 16 Let them live among you wherever they like and in whatever town they choose. Do not oppress them.
(Deuteronomy chapter 23)

That would not have helped them much as slave owners.

But, while also the revolutionary 1 page letter Bible Gateway passage: Philemon - New International Version (not good for your slaves to read much of that one!), which Paul wrote to make an escaped slave the social equal, in all ways, to his previous master no doubt was also missing, here's the verse I really wonder about as a very interesting one --

Matthew 7:12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

I think this statement by Christ made the short little revolutionary letter Philemon totally inevitable.

Upvote 0