Should we take "In God We Trust" off the dollar bill?

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
And actually the word "God" is not a religion. Nor does He represent a specific god. Whomever you serve is your god! Whether it be yourself or Muhammad or Jesus or.....

It is neutral! Obviously we have had men of different faiths in office, if our Constitution was not neutral, there would be only men of a certain faith in there. In Islam, they are not neutral, you cannot see the difference? No, you fight from some deep hatred toward your idea of God, I fight for what's right.

Such a motto is not neutral. It makes the claim of the existence of a god. A significant number of people have no such belief. So the motto is, at the very least, making a false statement with the use of the inclusive "we".

"In God some trust" would be accurate, but something tells me that you wouldn't accept it.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Rosanna Miller

Oct 28, 2015
Missouri
✟15,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No-one accepts your semantics about God. You change the definition of 'God' to be completely meaningless. I don't believe in a supernatural entity of any kind.

Really? Tell me, who is in control of your life? You, right? Do you believe in yourself? Yes, right?

1. God
a.
A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.
2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: They were their own god.

YOU ARE THE "GOD" IN YOUR LIFE. God is the one who is in control in your life. God is the one that you worship daily.

Reactions: mickiio
Upvote 0

Rosanna Miller

Oct 28, 2015
Missouri
✟15,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Such a motto is not neutral. It makes the claim of the existence of a god. A significant number of people have no such belief. So the motto is, at the very least, making a false statement with the use of the inclusive "we".

"In God some trust" would be accurate, but something tells me that you wouldn't accept it.

Do you believe in yourself? More than God? Yes? Then you are the god in your life.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Really? Tell me, who is in control of your life? You, right? Do you believe in yourself? Yes, right?
I'm not a God.

1. God
a.
A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
a. I'm not perfect, omnipotent, omniscient or the "ruler of the universe."
b. see above.

2. I'm not worshiped, nor supernatural.
3. I'm not an idol, I'm not an image of a supernatural being.
4. Being a 'God' is more than just making decisions. I am the primary mover in my life but external forces still restrict what I can do. Others can stop me, convince me not to do things and even end my life. I am not a limitless agent.

YOU ARE THE "GOD" IN YOUR LIFE. God is the one who is in control in your life. God is the one that you worship daily.
I do not worship myself. I am not the sole controller of my life.

Upvote 0

Rosanna Miller

Oct 28, 2015
Missouri
✟15,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a God.

a. I'm not perfect, omnipotent, omniscient or the "ruler of the universe."
b. see above.

2. I'm not worshiped, nor supernatural.
3. I'm not an idol, I'm not an image of a supernatural being.
4. Being a 'God' is more than just making decisions. I am the primary mover in my life but external forces still restrict what I can do. Others can stop me, convince me not to do things and even end my life. I am not a limitless agent.

I do not worship myself. I am not the sole controller of my life.

This is the definition of worship: it is the attention, honor, and respect you give to something or someone else.

Where ever you give most of your attention, honor, and respect that is something you are worshiping.

God receives all of my attention, honor, and respect. He receives the most and best of me. It is for Him that I seek to please, more than myself and others. Yet, others come before me....their needs, wants, etc. and God takes care of my need.
While for you, worship revolves around yourself....filling your needs, wants, etc. Making sure that your life is comfortable and that you are happy.

Just because you are not perfect, omnipotent, omnipresent, or the ruler of the universe, doesn't mean that you are not the god of your universe and life. Do you have children? Friends? Family? They follow you, just as you follow them.

See, you have an incomplete idea of who God is, He is the one in control of your life. Many, like me follow the Lord Jesus Christ because we know that we cannot do things on our own and we trust Him. If you do not follow God, then you are the god of your life.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
This is the definition of worship: it is the attention, honor, and respect you give to something or someone else.
By your logic simply liking anything or not hating anything constitutes respecting it. You negate not only the word 'God' but 'worship' to mean nothing.

God receives all of my attention, honor, and respect. He receives the most and best of me. It is for Him that I seek to please, more than myself and others. Yet, others come before me....their needs, wants, etc. and God takes care of my need.
While for you, worship revolves around yourself....filling your needs, wants, etc. Making sure that your life is comfortable and that you are happy.
So you assume that I am selfish and don't care about anyone else?

Just because you are not perfect, omnipotent, omnipresent, or the ruler of the universe, doesn't mean that you are not the god of your universe and life. Do you have children? Friends? Family? They follow you, just as you follow them.
You again relegate the term 'God' to mean nothing of significance. I do not believe in a God(s). I have no religion.

See, you have an incomplete idea of who God is, He is the one in control of your life. Many, like me follow the Lord Jesus Christ because we know that we cannot do things on our own and we trust Him. If you do not follow God, then you are the god of your life.
"The God of your life" is a semantically meaningless term. I do not only trust in myself or expect to be able to do everything on my own. I am not the sole arbiter of my fate.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟558,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is already in on there, I don't need to explain why we should keep it. The burden of proof is on those who say that it needs removed because it goes against the Constitution.
Sorry but the only reason it was added to our currency is due to anti-communist paranoia. Now that we know communism isn't a threat we can drop the false image of a Christian nation that is united in the belief in God. We don't all believe in the same God, we don't all believe in God, and for the government to make a statement of faith on behalf of 300 million people is a flat out overstep of its power. It is specifically barred from establishing a national religious belief or opinion.

The government cannot speak for me in matters of faith or what I put my trust in and it shouldn't speak for you either. That you're ok with it is besides the point that it shouldn't ever happen. Unless you agree that same-sex marriage and abortion are also religious beliefs supported by our government.

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Do you believe in yourself? More than God? Yes? Then you are the god in your life.

That is meaningless. If you are going to make that motto so vague, it may as well not be there.

Regardless, do you really think your government had that interpretation in mind when they coined it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brookelowe454

Nov 7, 2015
✟15,774.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
It is already in on there, I don't need to explain why we should keep it. The burden of proof is on those who say that it needs removed because it goes against the Constitution.

Yes you do, because that was the question that I asked. You don't have a reason, and I find your argument weak. I found a lot of arguments from both sides valid and good, but so far, yours was one of the weakest.

Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brookelowe454

Nov 7, 2015
✟15,774.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
No, it isn't making the statement for me. It seems pretty sad that you or others feel that. Either you believe or not in God. There are many gods in this world, many religions. Everyone worships a god. Who is god? God is the one who is in control in a person's life. So if a person rejects the God of the Bible or the god of any of the many other faiths, he assumes the position of being god.

So the saying, "In God We Trust," as you can see, takes on different meanings, based on who the person serves. If a person is offended by the Truth of things, then that is on them to prove how it does.

It is in only denying the existence of God, that conflict arises.

So according to you, you should just blindly believe in God so that you can prevent conflict? Typical thing for a religious person to say. No offense, but I choose to believe in things that are clear to me. The saying ignorance is bliss applies here, especially to you. I'm not trying to offend your religion, but you just said that God is in control in a person's life. That is simply not true. I believe in God but he does not control my life. You are talking about your CHRISTIAN god, which I and billions of others do not follow. So, do not put the definition of god in a box. You sound ignorant. Plus, you aren't gaining anything from commenting, because you literally have no argument. I am not trying to be rude, but you are being very offensive to others, and that, to me, is very disrespectful.

Upvote 0

Grandpa4

Sep 25, 2015
Jacumba, CA
✟15,553.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Although America was supossedly founded on Christian principles, It has actually never been a "Christian nation". Not all those who signed the Declaration of Independence were born again Christians, if any of them were. With the US turning its back on God and on morality by legalize same-gender marriages, this country is on the fast track to hell.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
And actually the word "God" is not a religion. Nor does He represent a specific god. Whomever you serve is your god! Whether it be yourself or Muhammad or Jesus or.....

It is neutral! Obviously we have had men of different faiths in office, if our Constitution was not neutral, there would be only men of a certain faith in there. In Islam, they are not neutral, you cannot see the difference? No, you fight from some deep hatred toward your idea of God, I fight for what's right.

The term god clearly favours a theistic worldview over an atheistic worldview. It is not a neutral term.

And I don't fight from hatred of anything, I fight for the principles that any modern secular democracy should run on, and for the rights of all citizens.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"It" is? What is? Invisible enemies? Are you sure that God doesn't exist after all? lol

If it said "In Santa We Trust", it would make me laugh but it wouldn't offend me. Actually, if it said that I think it would fit better with this materialistic world. But I digress... lol

I am confident in the idea that god doesn't exist. Likewise, if your argument is devolving into comparing your god with Santa Claus... well, I don't know what else to say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

1. God
a.

I don't see how that definition fits any person... I am not a supernatural being, I didn't create the universe, I'm not omnipotent, omniscient, etc. Likewise I don't worship myself, as the very concept is ridiculous.

So, no... I'm not the "god" in my life. I'm just a guy, and I enjoy life. I don't believe god exists, and I don't believe the motto of the United States should be a blatant lie about a decent chunk of the American population.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Moxie123

Aug 19, 2011
Southern California
✟16,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Federal Reserve Notes (Promissory notes) and associated coins not of precious metal bearing the words "In GOD we trust" are promises to pay. Remember the country has been in bankruptcy since 1933.

So the GOD stands for Government Obligated Debt. NOT the God of the Bible.

The US GOV-CORP is a purely secular organization. The symbols on dollar bills are Masonic, not Christian. That eye on the pyramid is NOT God's eye, that is the eye of Horus, and it's all based in Satanism. The money itself is worthless paper, and it is used to mock and re-indoctrinate the masses to slavery.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Federal Reserve Notes (Promissory notes) and associated coins not of precious metal bearing the words "In GOD we trust" are promises to pay. Remember the country has been in bankruptcy since 1933.

The US GOV-CORP is a purely secular organization. The symbols on dollar bills are Masonic, not Christian. That eye on the pyramid is NOT God's eye, that is the eye of Horus, and it's all based in Satanism. The money itself is worthless paper, and it is used to mock and re-indoctrinate the masses to slavery.

LOL

Reactions: jacknife
Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I don't think the world works the way you think it does.....

Upvote 0