Should we take "In God We Trust" off the dollar bill?

Brookelowe454

Nov 7, 2015
✟15,774.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I am Buddhist, but I believe in God, and I was wondering, regardless of your religion, how do you feel about God being a figure in American documents such as the Declaration of Independence, the dollar bill, and even the Constitution has some laws based off of the Bible. I am curious to know what others think.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, I am Buddhist, but I believe in God, and I was wondering, regardless of your religion, how do you feel about God being a figure in American documents such as the Declaration of Independence, the dollar bill, and even the Constitution has some laws based off of the Bible. I am curious to know what others think.

All laws are based off the scriptures.
Tradition is good for conversation.
Christian traditions are worth discussing
and offer no tangible benefit if removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: patrick jane
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There would be no point in changing the Declaration of Independence; it's not a legal document, its relevance is purely historical. And history should be preserved.

I don't particularly care about what's on the money... frankly if people want to get all offended about money, Andrew Jackson on the $20.00 bill should be the biggest problem, as he was involved in the genocide of Native Americans. If they want to change the pictures or words on money, it doesn't bother me as long as it's still recognizable and I can still use it to buy things.

As for the Constitution, there's nothing explicitly religious in it. Obviously some laws are shared between the Constitution and the Bible, like the prohibitions against murder and theft, but do you really think it would be a good idea to repeal those?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There would be no point in changing the Declaration of Independence; it's not a legal document, its relevance is purely historical. And history should be preserved.

I don't particularly care about what's on the money... frankly if people want to get all offended about money, Andrew Jackson on the $20.00 bill should be the biggest problem, as he was involved in the genocide of Native Americans. If they want to change the pictures or words on money, it doesn't bother me as long as it's still recognizable and I can still use it to buy things.

As for the Constitution, there's nothing explicitly religious in it. Obviously some laws are shared between the Constitution and the Bible, like the prohibitions against murder and theft, but do you really think it would be a good idea to repeal those?
Doubt the US Constitution even mentions murder or theft, does it?

Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
St. Louis - Ephesians 2:6-8
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christians founded America; Pilgrims. I wouldn't have it any other way !!!

Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The "we" part is a lie.

So long as theists are in the majority and OK with telling lies about what "we" think, it'll persist.
We know that deep down inside YOU know that Jesus IS the Son of God who died for you !! see signature

Reactions: m551sheridan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We know that deep down inside YOU know that Jesus IS the Son of God who died for you !! see signature

Yeah no.

If you aren't a parody, reread my post about how I think people should stop telling lies about what other people believe, I don't think you got it.

Upvote 0

Brookelowe454

Nov 7, 2015
✟15,774.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

http://www.faithfacts.org/christ-and-the-culture/the-bible-and-government I found this interesting website.

Upvote 0

Brookelowe454

Nov 7, 2015
✟15,774.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

With all due respect, every person who conquered America and made it America was involved in the genocide of Native Americans. I don't believe people were offended, I just think it's a little ironic that not everyone believes in God, yet the U.S. dollar bill says "in God we trust." I sent a link where it shows that some of the Constitution was based off of the Bible. I don't think it would be a good idea to repeal murder and theft punishments, I was just wondering about simple things like the word God or when people base laws off of their religious moral values. I don't particularly care either way though. I was just asking.

Upvote 0

Brookelowe454

Nov 7, 2015
✟15,774.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
The "we" part is a lie.

So long as theists are in the majority and OK with telling lies about what "we" think, it'll persist.

I understand where you are coming from. I feel that it is unfair to people who don't even believe in something that is on an official currency. Pretty ironic.

Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
With all due respect, every person who conquered America and made it America was involved in the genocide of Native Americans. I don't believe people were offended, I just think it's a little ironic that not everyone believes in God, yet the U.S. dollar bill says "in God we trust." I sent a link where it shows that some of the Constitution was based off of the Bible. I don't think it would be a good idea to repeal murder and theft punishments, I was just wondering about simple things like the word God or when people base laws off of their religious moral values. I don't particularly care either way though. I was just asking.
You mean like gay marriage ? PP slicing and dicing ? Those laws ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah no.

If you aren't a parody, reread my post about how I think people should stop telling lies about what other people believe, I don't think you got it.
yuh huh, that's why I said that !!!

Attachments

• 6ad2474926abba5dce37be1fae8ee6c3.jpg
    6ad2474926abba5dce37be1fae8ee6c3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 0

Brookelowe454

Nov 7, 2015
✟15,774.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
You mean like gay marriage ? PP slicing and dicing ? Those laws ?

Gay marriage is not based on moral values. A marriage between a man and a woman is, because marriage was meant for two people to be able to have children together. Gay marriage is based on the right given to the couple. Going against gay people just because you disagree is a form of discrimination, and it is against the Constitution, thus, it is a right, not moral value. But that's a different story. It's interesting to see your views.

Reactions: Ilovegod888
Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Gay marriage is not based on moral values. A marriage between a man and a woman is, because marriage was meant for two people to be able to have children together. Gay marriage is based on the right given to the couple. Going against gay people just because you disagree is a form of discrimination, and it is against the Constitution, thus, it is a right, not moral value. But that's a different story. It's interesting to see your views.
God speaks plainly about gays and perverts.

Upvote 0

Ilovegod888

Nov 1, 2015
✟8,233.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
All laws are based off the scriptures.
Tradition is good for conversation.
Christian traditions are worth discussing
and offer no tangible benefit if removed.
I guess it could save ink? I'm not sure. I just think it applies to more people without it. What if it said in Allah we trust? I don't think I would be happy even if it was our "foundation".

Upvote 0