Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever going to service in a language you don't understand? I went once to a monasymon and everything was in Greek. I also want to go to one in Latin.
Much of the Divine Liturgy I attend is in Greek, which I don’t understand. Many years ago, I attended a Roman Catholic Mass in Latin, and a few years later one in French.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This happened to me every holy week for the four years that I lived in Albuquerque, NM, because the Coptic community there would at their request get a priest sent to them from Egypt, and none of these priests happened to know any English. So the entire service as concerned the priest's parts would be in Arabic and Coptic, as it is usually in Egypt, whereas our usual services would be primarily in English (~ 80% English, ~ 20% non-English), because HG Bishop Youssef, our bishop, mandated that all of the churches in his diocese use primarily English in their Sunday services, to be open to the wider society and the younger generation who sometimes don't know Arabic.

It was interesting. It turned out I knew more Arabic than I thought I did, but still not enough to do the entire service in that language (the sermons, for instance, required someone to help me understand them; I usually got the gist of what abouna was saying in the sense of "He's talking about grace" or "He's talking about this part of the readings", but couldn't pick out specific points). It was more fun in the post-liturgy Agpeya meal, when the priest would try to talk to me. There were already a few non-anglophones in the community (one of them knew Arabic and Italian, but wasn't very confident in her English, even though it was okay for basic greetings), so I was used to that dynamic, but never with a priest. It was kind of sweet, in a way.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my experience attending Orthodox services in other languages, since I know the rhythm of the Liturgy, I always know about where we are in the service at any given time, and I can pray along in English. Trying to bother with a bilingual service book is too cumbersome for me.

• Informative
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wish there was a Latin Liturgy around.

Dang! I forgot to mention English. I still feel a certain nostalgia for Latin but I firmly believe that services should be in the common language of the congregation.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I've been to Catholic Mass in Spanish as well as a Latin Low Mass. I have also been to multiple Episcopal Eucharists that were bi-lingual Spanish and English, and some ELCA bi-lingual Eucharists as well. I also used to visit an Orthodox church that did the Lord's Prayer in multiple languages, but only that part. The rest was in English.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Have you ever going to service in a language you don't understand? I went once to a monastery and everything was in Greek. I also want to go to one in Latin.

1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wish there was a Latin Liturgy around.

The more traditional Catholics continue to hold services in Latin.

Specific elements of the traditional (Latin) Catholic liturgy have been set to music and are widely available.

• Informative
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been to Catholic Mass in Spanish as well as a Latin Low Mass. I have also been to multiple Episcopal Eucharists that were bi-lingual Spanish and English, and some ELCA bi-lingual Eucharists as well. I also used to visit an Orthodox church that did the Lord's Prayer in multiple languages, but only that part. The rest was in English.

I've been in churches that were bilingual also. I still remember singing "Cordero de Dios" to post-Vatican II Spanish folk music, or singing the psalms in Spanish.

One of the unfortunate things about my current church is that we are not all that bilingual, even though we do have hispanic members of our congregation, we have a separate Spanish service. More bilingualism would recognize the reality of our congregation.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I've been in churches that were bilingual also. I still remember singing "Cordero de Dios" to post-Vatican II Spanish folk music, or singing the psalms in Spanish.

One of the unfortunate things about my current church is that we are not all that bilingual, even though we do have hispanic members of our congregation, we have a separate Spanish service. More bilingualism would recognize the reality of our congregation.
One thing that you can mention to your pastor, they actually make bilingual individual booklets for the Eucharist. Might be a way to introduce the idea.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
One thing that you can mention to your pastor, they actually make bilingual individual booklets for the Eucharist. Might be a way to introduce the idea.

Everybody understands English, so that isn't the issue. But having more Spanish language hymns would be a nice gesture.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Everybody understands English, so that isn't the issue. But having more Spanish language hymns would be a nice gesture.
Not quite what I meant. These booklets have the Spanish and English ELW Eucharist opposite each other. That way you can do the words bilingual and even those who don't understand spanish will know what was going on.

Upvote 0