United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's right, the dead language.
I took two years of it in high school so for me it is a nostalgic thing. And I can fantasize about being a medieval monk chanting psalms. But I have no desire for TLM for some reason. I think when it comes to Mass, the language part gets in the way and can be mistaken for sacred mystery or something when in actuality the exoticness or mystery of it is simply not being as familiar with the language as with the vernacular.

So I continue to plug away at it and enjoy quotes from the stoics as well as Roman statesmen. But it is easy to bogged down in all the grammar.

Spanish is more fun and koine Greek more useful. Sanskrit look coolest. But I am lucky to gain proficiency in jus tone language other than my own.

I like Facebook learning Latin group. They usually have an airing of church v.s. classic Latin.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's right, the dead language.
I took two years of it in high school so for me it is a nostalgic thing. And I can fantasize about being a medieval monk chanting psalms. But I have no desire for TLM for some reason. I think when it comes to Mass, the language part gets in the way and can be mistaken for sacred mystery or something when in actuality the exoticness or mystery of it is simply not being as familiar with the language as with the vernacular.

So I continue to plug away at it and enjoy quotes from the stoics as well as Roman statesmen. But it is easy to bogged down in all the grammar.

Spanish is more fun and koine Greek more useful. Sanskrit look coolest. But I am lucky to gain proficiency in jus tone language other than my own.

I like Facebook learning Latin group. They usually have an airing of church v.s. classic Latin.
One of the benefits of Latin is that it makes Greek easier. So many words are crazy similar. I was reading yesterday something Bruce Metzger, the famous Bible scholar, wrote about the various Indo-European languages and how many words are cognates with some very predictable changes. Latin will use a 'd' often where Greek uses a 'th'. Thus Greek 'theos becomes Latin 'deus'. So many other predictable changes, when figured out make Greek easy if you already know Latin. They were almost dialects with different alphabets.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics