Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SO brethren We have probably all heard of the event referred to as a "Pub Crawl" it is an a event, sometimes ticketed and organized, where a group of people fgo toegther on a walk through a twon stopping at designated pubs and sampling special drinks. Once finished, it is on to the next one. Perhaps some here have participated in this already.

SO I got the inspiration today for a Christmas Eve Church crawl. Now here is my idea and inspiration.
I have always held the belief that Christmas is a deeply spiritual experience. It reflects a very deep and inspiring revelation of the act of God manifesting and revealing Himself to mankind. While Christmas Morning is a time for gifts, and Christmas day a day for revelry and fun, eating, drinking, parting, Christmas Eve, to me is my favorite religious holy day. I have always dreampt of a CHristmas Eve devoid of noise, devoid of festivities, but kept instead with religious services and quiet meditation. Sadly, I have rarely been able to achieve this, having obligations to family, children etc Now I have ALWAYS made it to Midnight service, but My hope one year would be to start dusk at a Church service, then to move on to another one, and to another one, ending at Midnight Mass.

SO this year, our go to congregation is holding their latest service qt 9PM instead of 11 However, the catholic cathedral down the street IS holding an 11 PM service. So, we will attend both. Then I got an idea, there are many other churches in walking distance, why not start at 6PM at the Methodist church, walk to the Presbyterian church for a 7 PM service, then to the Episcopal Church at 830 then the cathedral at 1030?
A few rules. No talking, unless spoken to. No mindless chatter. Focus on the Divine Inspiration present on the Holy Night. Be prayerful and silent. Carry gifts of charity, to present to random strangers, gifts to those who would need them

Afterwards, take a silent and prayerful ride home and meditate on the Mystery of the Incarnation, the Greatest Gift of all time and the Peace, Love and Joy manifest at Christmas.

Instead of a Pub Crawl, I would like to start a CHRISTMAS EVE SERVICE Crawl.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
SO brethren We have probably all heard of the event referred to as a "Pub Crawl" it is an a event, sometimes ticketed and organized, where a group of people fgo toegther on a walk through a twon stopping at designated pubs and sampling special drinks. Once finished, it is on to the next one. Perhaps some here have participated in this already.

SO I got the inspiration today for a Christmas Eve Church crawl. Now here is my idea and inspiration.
I have always held the belief that Christmas is a deeply spiritual experience. It reflects a very deep and inspiring revelation of the act of God manifesting and revealing Himself to mankind. While Christmas Morning is a time for gifts, and Christmas day a day for revelry and fun, eating, drinking, parting, Christmas Eve, to me is my favorite religious holy day. I have always dreampt of a CHristmas Eve devoid of noise, devoid of festivities, but kept instead with religious services and quiet meditation. Sadly, I have rarely been able to achieve this, having obligations to family, children etc Now I have ALWAYS made it to Midnight service, but My hope one year would be to start dusk at a Church service, then to move on to another one, and to another one, ending at Midnight Mass.

SO this year, our go to congregation is holding their latest service qt 9PM instead of 11 However, the catholic cathedral down the street IS holding an 11 PM service. So, we will attend both. Then I got an idea, there are many other churches in walking distance, why not start at 6PM at the Methodist church, walk to the Presbyterian church for a 7 PM service, then to the Episcopal Church at 830 then the cathedral at 1030?
A few rules. No talking, unless spoken to. No mindless chatter. Focus on the Divine Inspiration present on the Holy Night. Be prayerful and silent. Carry gifts of charity, to present to random strangers, gifts to those who would need them

Afterwards, take a silent and prayerful ride home and meditate on the Mystery of the Incarnation, the Greatest Gift of all time and the Peace, Love and Joy manifest at Christmas.

Be sure to leave enough time to get to places early enough to get a seat. Or you too might find yourself with no room at the inn.

At my age the idea of Midnight Mass is more of a fond memory than a current plan. But go for it.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Man, this is a great idea. :) Just make sure the church services line up right for this Church Crawl to work well.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Be sure to leave enough time to get to places early enough to get a seat. Or you too might find yourself with no room at the inn.
There was a Midnight Service that I attended once in my younger days I found out on arrival that a ticket was required to enter. Now this was in a large Episcopal Cathedral, and the usher said "no problem I have an extra one" In other words "NO room at the INN"
The church was what I would call "Snot nosed" a very high and lofty wealthy and snooty Episcopal place. While the service was beautiful, the people less so. I think that is where my focus began to get away from the people and to focus strictly on the service and the meaning behind it. While I did attend that location a few times in the future (with a ticket) I never had any desire to go there other than at Midnight. And over they ears, the company I kept made any effort unfathomable.

That being said, we did find a way to do the "Crawl" Although it does involve car trips. The Methodist service actually starts at 5 and ends strictly at 6. A ride to the city, 45 minutes, takes us to the Presybeterian church which starts at 7 and ends at 8. The Episcopal Church music starts at 830; the Catholic Music starts at 10:30 and those are less than a 5 minute walk

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There was a Midnight Service that I attended once in my younger days I found out on arrival that a ticket was required to enter. Now this was in a large Episcopal Cathedral, and the usher said "no problem I have an extra one" In other words "NO room at the INN"
The church was what I would call "Snot nosed" a very high and lofty wealthy and snooty Episcopal place. While the service was beautiful, the people less so. I think that is where my focus began to get away from the people and to focus strictly on the service and the meaning behind it. While I did attend that location a few times in the future (with a ticket) I never had any desire to go there other than at Midnight. And over they ears, the company I kept made any effort unfathomable.

That being said, we did find a way to do the "Crawl" Although it does involve car trips. The Methodist service actually starts at 5 and ends strictly at 6. A ride to the city, 45 minutes, takes us to the Presybeterian church which starts at 7 and ends at 8. The Episcopal Church music starts at 830; the Catholic Music starts at 10:30 and those are less than a 5 minute walk
You might even be able to take a taxi if you do not want to use your own car, and some taxis are hybrid (such as the Prius), so one can cut down on CO2 as well. But yeah, some churches can be snot-nosed. I'd stay away from those churches. Hopefully your Church Crawl goes well.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might even be able to take a taxi if you do not want to use your own car, and some taxis are hybrid (such as the Prius), so one can cut down on CO2 as well. But yeah, some churches can be snot-nosed. I'd stay away from those churches. Hopefully your Church Crawl goes well.
I spoke to some members online at the churches we had thought about attending. According to what we were told, sadly, less than 50% of the seats are filled.
Which is sad, because I would hope that the places would be full

I think back to my younger years, where a Christmas Eve service was a huge affair. Everyone went.
Then I thought about how many people in the general population went to church services then vs now. Many churches are reporting decreased attendance year round, not just at Christmas. Attendance figures across the board are dropping, as is the percentage of Americans who define themselves as Christian.
It would seem that people are not just staying home on Christmas Eve, but year round. Which is a shame.

And for us, the highlight of the year IS the Christmas Eve service. It is the most beautiful of all services, all the best music, sights sounds and an expression of pure love and joy. I would still go even if only a few people went, but do not complain when I find a packed house. It just seems, sadly, that a packed house in any church is rare any more. People have other things to do.

But regardless, I would never miss it regardless of who else is there or not. It is like the birthday celebration of one's closest family member or bet friend....we make it a priority.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I spoke to some members online at the churches we had thought about attending. According to what we were told, sadly, less than 50% of the seats are filled.

I think back to my younger years, where a Christmas Eve service was a huge affair. Everyone went.
Then I thought about how many people in the general population went to church services then vs now. Many churches are reporting decreased attendance year round, not just at Christmas. Attendance figures across the board are dropping, as is the percentage of Americans who define themselves as Christian.
It would seem that people are not just staying home on Christmas Eve, but year round. Which is a shame.

And for us, the highlight of the year IS the Christmas Eve service. It is the most beautiful of all services, all the best music, sights sounds and an expression of pure love and joy. I would still go even if only a few people went, but do not complain when I find a packed house. It just seems, sadly, that a packed house in any church is rare any more. People have other things to do.

But regardless, I would never miss it regardless of who else is there or not. It is like the birthday celebration of one's closest family member or bet friend....we make it a priority.
Nothing we can do about dwindling church numbers, but to spread the Good News.

Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm not as young as I used to be so midnight mass, while I'm interested, is less a viable option for me. But I remember many such midnight masses for Christmas and Easter where it was SRO and I often ended up standing. Covid made a mess of things in general, and shutting the churches down sent the message that spiritual health is worth less than physical health.
My parish is finally back to normal, but it took a lot of effort. Some churches of various denominations are sort of like dead men walking, already done for even if they haven't closed just yet.

It does seem like Covid advanced the process of secularization by at least a decade. Not that it HAS TO BE that way, but there is a lot of momentum in that direction. And now because of Covid the momentum has increased. We see a nasty militant secularism burning churches, vandalizing churches, disrupting services, doing the things they are now enabled to do. So we get to raise the level of our game, to be what we were supposed to be all along.

There was a comment by Joseph Ratzinger from 30 or so years ago about how he expected the Church to become much smaller in the future but more focused. That's what we need to do. Maybe not have a packed church at Christmas and Easter but one that goes deep into the mystery of Christ.

So this Christmas Monday I'll be sleeping in and going to the morning mass. I will have been at the fourth Sunday of Advent mass the day before. And then the Sunday within the octave of Christmas, and then the octave mass, because Christmas is so big it cannot be confined to just a day, but it gets eight whole days.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not as young as I used to be so midnight mass, while I'm interested, is less a viable option for me. But I remember many such midnight masses for Christmas and Easter where it was SRO and I often ended up standing. Covid made a mess of things in general, and shutting the churches down sent the message that spiritual health is worth less than physical health.

So this Christmas Monday I'll be sleeping in and going to the morning mass. I will have been at the fourth Sunday of Advent mass the day before. And then the Sunday within the octave of Christmas, and then the octave mass, because Christmas is so big it cannot be confined to just a day, but it gets eight whole days.
I'm not a spring chicken physically but my heart and mind are. I will go to the Midnight service. I will probably sleep late Monday too, but worth it.

I would rather stand at a service than to Miss out. But you are correct, Covid has hastened a decline of religious attendance. On the other hand, it has taken many congregations mainstream via media, a portal which was once limited to TV charlatans and entertainers.

I have not encountered any secular opposition to Christmas. The only individuals whom I have encountered opposition were either certain fundy Christians or Biblians who do not celebrate Christmas and mistakenly think that they have some God-given right to impede or prevent others from doing the same. Whom I just ignore and move on, pointing out that I will not follow their lead because I do not want to be like them. I would never, ever be part of a group that does not celebrate Christmas.
Instead, I celebrate JOY-fully with like minded believers who come together as a community and a church family to celebrate the most beautiful service.

Last night, we had the Festival of Lessons and Carols. I think I appreciate it more now (And I have always appreciated it) because I spent a couple of hours helping to decorate it.

And we had a good turnout for the event yesterday

We have our usual schedule Sunday with two evening services, then after the 9 PM Service we will walk down the block a little ways to the Catholic Cathedral and celebrate Midnight Mass there. Christmas Mornign is one 1030 service which is Monday, then we have our Wednesday NOON service on the 27th all of which focus around the Christmas theme.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
… then we have our Wednesday NOON service on the 27th all of which focus around the Christmas theme.
Ah, between the feast of Stephen on the 26th and the feast of the holy innocents on the 28th. I think on the 27th the gospel comes from the beginning of John 1.

And then after a while comes Epiphany, and the Christmas season starts to wrap up. The stores are already into trying to clear their stock and will have what is left put away by the 26th and on to Valentine’s Day. They don’t get it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, between the feast of Stephen on the 26th and the feast of the holy innocents on the 28th. I think on the 27th the gospel comes from the beginning of John 1.

And then after a while comes Epiphany, and the Christmas season starts to wrap up. The stores are already into trying to clear their stock and will have what is left put away by the 26th and on to Valentine’s Day. They don’t get it.
no they don't

They dont get it

BUT today I heard a song on the radio "that's what Christmas Means to me"
It said
… Candles burnin' low
Lots and lots of snow (alright)
Christmas bells are ringin'
Christmas choirs singin'

Christmas mistletoe...

And it made me think about what Christmas Means to me

SO Christmas to me is a deeply Spiritual holiday
And you are right...it goes until January 5 EPIPHANY
and the stores do not get it......because Christmas is not money..., spending... materialism,,,

It is family.....love...charity...giving ,,,yes but more

I had a discussion with an devout Islamic friend He told me how he had, daily, to pray 5 times, give alms, attend a mosque on the sabbath....abstain from sin in thought and deed .... ALL with hope that God would come to him and notice him.

Then Christmas shows something much more powerful ...God coming to mankind. Not God forcing mankind to come to him though commandments or sacrifices or prayers...but coming TO people..Revealing HIMSELF by coming to humanity Not forcing people to come to HM but Coming to PEOPLE...Revealing himself not as a king, as the Hindus teach, or not as a Prince, as Buddha, or a great Warrior as in Islam, or as a great tribal chief, but as a child, born to poor parents, in abject poverty, to the common people, in fact revealed first to the lowest class of people...then through His life and Death, Rising to become King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Christ shows us God in the flesh...not as a far away Spirit, not as residents of Olympus not as something reached only through ritual or dogma, but as the Living Breathing Manifestation of the word made flesh.

No other can claim that and no other can give that

meditate on that which is to come...the Birth of the Christ....
ADVENT thus is a powerful time, when we shut out the world for a few minutes a day and focus on that which is greater than us. It is a time when we prepare spiritually for Christmas....
Then on Christmas Eve, we celebrate that birth....we Rejoice in the manifestation of the Word made flesh....we are excited about God among us...we honor His birth with our Midnight church service....not as an obligation, but as a celebration, a joyful and spiritually uplifting event that brings us to the reality of Christ Among us

All else is FINE ...The Christmas Trees (I have Several) ...the lights which symbolize that the people who have walked in darkness have seen a great light,,,,,My house is covered in lights....the gifts...symbolizing the Greatest gift the world has ever known....the mistletoe...which says that in the winter, life goes on through Christ....the candles...which burn to celebrate the Light of the World....the food, to feast on a sumptuous Celebration fit for the King of Kings....
All are good and all are worth enjoying.........
But for me, there would be NO Christmas without CHRIST first....
Christ...His Birth...THAT is what Christmas means to me

Upvote 0