Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
✟741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'm new here. I grew up in the ELCA. Not by choice, though. My dad disliked the Catholic Church and made the whole family go to a Lutheran- ELCA Church. As I grew older, I did go to many Catholic masses (my mom is Catholic and my wife is also Catholic) and I felt like I disagreed with some of the things the Catholic Church did. Closed communion being one of them. I also do not understand how they believe in transubstantiation. My younger brother decided he agreed more with the views of the LCMS and got confirmed there. I disagreed with the idea of closed communion so I knew I could never go to an LCMS service. I think the idea of rejecting someone to partake in the Body and Blood of Christ is a violation of what Jesus taught. So, I stayed in the ELCA church. Though as time went on, I realized I also disagreed with some of the views of the ELCA. I lean conservative on some issues and agree on the idea that homosexuals should not be ordained. Another reason why I stick to the ELCA is they allow you to not 100% agree on everything that they do. I dislike the idea that I have to agree with everything Martin Luther believed in and his interpretation of the bible so I would definitely not fit in with the LCMS. As I continue to explore my faith, I've started to avoid identifying myself as any denomination or branch of Christianity and attend service as a Christian. I think identifying as a denomination creates division, which is something Jeus taught against.

Danny&Annie&theChristmas

Nov 11, 2023
Houston
✟2,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in the Episcopal Church. I left that decades ago. I tried reattending, but found it too much against my beliefs. I believe the true Body of Christ to be scattered all over the world amongst all the man made denominations.

Upvote 0

compwiz02

Nov 28, 2023
✟741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might get a lot of satisfaction from an NALC church.
Jeez, how many Lutheran sub-denominations are there? I recently learned that an LCMC "denomination" exists and they position themselves between the ELCA and LCMS. Is the NALC similar to the LCMC?

It blows my mind how there are disagreements within the Lutheran community. Some Lutherans calling other Lutherans "heretics" or "non-Christians". I decided to no longer identify myself as a "Lutheran" or even as a "Protestant" and simply identify as a "Christian". The division that is caused by people aligning with different denominations is shocking. Though admittingly, I feel myself being more comfortable in the ELCA church simply because they open themselves to everyone, which I believe Jesus advocated.

Also, after doing some research, I've realized that Lutherans also believe in the Real Presence in communion and reject what most Protestants call "consubstantiation". I personally believe that the bread and wine become the real Body and Blood of Christ but are still bread and wine. I think the concept of "transubstantiation" makes everything confusing.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Jeez, how many Lutheran sub-denominations are there?
Lutheranism is one denomination with different synods or governing bodies not unlike Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, etc.

It blows my mind how there are disagreements within the Lutheran community. Some Lutherans calling other Lutherans "heretics" or "non-Christians". I decided to no longer identify myself as a "Lutheran" or even as a "Protestant" and simply identify as a "Christian".

Well, calling yourself "Christian" doesn't really clear up your issues with disagreements and distinctions now does it. Protestant is a category not a denomination so calling yourself a Protestant would make more sense then the overly reductionist "Christian."

Though admittingly, I feel myself being more comfortable in the ELCA church simply because they open themselves to everyone, which I believe Jesus advocated.

Sure, they are so open they no longer hold to Christian beliefs and truths, historic or biblical.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

compwiz02

Nov 28, 2023
✟741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lutheranism is one denomination with different synods or governing bodies not unlike Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, etc.

Well, calling yourself "Christian" doesn't really clear up your issues with disagreements and distinctions now does it. Protestant is a category not a denomination so calling yourself a Protestant would make more sense then the overly reductionist "Christian."

Sure, they are so open they no longer hold to Christian beliefs and truths, historic or biblical.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
At the end of the day, the question I ask is: would Jesus be ok with this? "Christian" is a man-made term but it implies no divisions. I guess a more appropriate term would be "follower in Christ". Jesus encouraged everyone to be united as one body and discouraged division. I'll follow His advice and identify myself as His follower rather than align myself to any denomination.

Every synod/denomination asserts they know and follow the truth. the LCMS and WELS think they know and follow the truth and bash the ELCA for "not being Christian". I am of the belief that every person who accepts, beliefs in, and follows Jesus is a Christian regardless of your denomination, branch of Christianity, or synod. Like I said, as long as Jesus is ok with it, then so be it. You may think "The ELCA are not Christians" but does Jesus agree with you? The truth is.....we don't know. We can only assume that what we think is the truth.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Is the NALC similar to the LCMC?
In my understanding, LCMC is a few years older and somewhat larger by parish count. However, they have a partnership with NALC. NALC allows parishes to have dual affiliation with both bodies. Many of the clergy are on both rosters.

Culturally, there are some general differences. LCMC seems to have been more influenced by American evangelicalism. Whereas, NALC churches love to tell me which legacy synod they were founded in: ALC, LCA, Augustana or whatever. I would characterize NALC as being more mindful of their tradition. I don't think you would ever find a case of gently used Service Book & Hymnals in the attic at an LCMC church.

Upvote 0