✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone,
I am from New Zealand and my wife and I are starting (restarting) on our journey in Christianity (my wife was a Christian in her teens and I was a JW in my teens - family were attending). We are now finding ourselves drawn to Christ (sensing the increase in evil in the world and being drawn in the opposite direction) and wanting to find the purest form of Christianity (as Christ taught) and are working through this process via research, to determine what denomination may be appropriate for us. High level research led me to the Eastern Orthodox denomination (the 'original church', which included what also later become the Roman Catholic Church, after the schism?) but I am little unsure of the kissing of icons, the saints etc and the rigirous requirements to fully enter the church as a member (not afraid of hard work but just seems like barriers to potentially feeling part of the church). Also, here in NZ the EO churches mostly speak their own language in service (greek, arabic, romanian etc) and unsure how we would be received. We would appreciate any thoughts from members who are in a similar position (seeking the purest form of Christianity) and what their research and experiences have uncovered/revealed. Many thanks and God bless.

Welcome! @Carl Emerson is a good friend of mine

I can assure you there are predominantly English speaking Orthodox churches in New Zealand and my Australian friend @prodromos and the other Orthodox members of the forum and myself will help you find one. I think there is even an Antiochian Western Rite Orthodox parish in NZ. The majority of Orthodox churches are quite welcoming, and generally as long as you were baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost you would not need to be rebaptized. Regarding the veneration of icons, I can understand how this might seem unusual, but we know this practice dates to the very early church, and indeed to Judaism (the synagogue and the house church excavated at Dura Europos in Syria both had iconography, and icons have also been found in other ancient places of Christian worship.

Also, when kissing an icon, one only kisses the incarnate Word of God, our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, or the written word, since every icon will either have a depiction of Christ our True God or the Holy Bible (being carried by a saint). And we kiss the Bible as well, specifically the Evangelion, or Gospel Book, which contains the four Gospels arranged in lessons that are read throughout the church year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

0f850fba0aced026357cca14c3afc50b_(4).gif

Welcome to Christian Forums!

LORD, those who know you will trust in You.
You have never deserted those who look to You.
Psalms 9:10

"Here is what I am commanding you to do:
Be strong and brave.
Do not be terrified.
Do not lose hope.
I am the LORD your God.
I will be with you everywhere you go."

Joshua 1:9

"Judah, listen to me!
People of Jerusalem, listen to me!
Have faith in the LORD your God.
He'll take good care of you.
Have faith in his prophets.
Then you will have success."

2 Chronicles 20:20

Some trust in chariots.
Some trust in horses.
But we trust in the LORD our God.

Psalms 20:7

I haven’t met you before - I have relatives in Oostersund and have been in Goteborg, back when it had the beautiful old blue and white trams.

Upvote 0

Corey P

Dec 12, 2023
Christchurch
✟1,961.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! @Carl Emerson is a good friend of mine

I can assure you there are predominantly English speaking Orthodox churches in New Zealand and my Australian friend @prodromos and the other Orthodox members of the forum and myself will help you find one. I think there is even an Antiochian Western Rite Orthodox parish in NZ. The majority of Orthodox churches are quite welcoming, and generally as long as you were baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost you would not need to be rebaptized. Regarding the veneration of icons, I can understand how this might seem unusual, but we know this practice dates to the very early church, and indeed to Judaism (the synagogue and the house church excavated at Dura Europos in Syria both had iconography, and icons have also been found in other ancient places of Christian worship.

Also, when kissing an icon, one only kisses the incarnate Word of God, our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, or the written word, since every icon will either have a depiction of Christ our True God or the Holy Bible (being carried by a saint). And we kiss the Bible as well, specifically the Evangelion, or Gospel Book, which contains the four Gospels arranged in lessons that are read throughout the church year.
Thank you so much, I would very much appreciate any help to further discover more about the Orthodox Church and am open to better understanding the practices and customs of the church, the origins of those and the baptism process (I would need to be, in due course). Carl has reached out and hopefully we can connect in the new year at some stage to talk further. An English speaking Orthodox Church would be great, if such exists in the Christchurch area. I am also interested in the Baptist Church and am really invested in this ‘discovery phase’.

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Augustinosia

Orthodox Christian
Feb 8, 2012
None
✟118,853.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone,
I am from New Zealand and my wife and I are starting (restarting) on our journey in Christianity (my wife was a Christian in her teens and I was a JW in my teens - family were attending). We are now finding ourselves drawn to Christ (sensing the increase in evil in the world and being drawn in the opposite direction) and wanting to find the purest form of Christianity (as Christ taught) and are working through this process via research, to determine what denomination may be appropriate for us. High level research led me to the Eastern Orthodox denomination (the 'original church', which included what also later become the Roman Catholic Church, after the schism?) but I am little unsure of the kissing of icons, the saints etc and the rigirous requirements to fully enter the church as a member (not afraid of hard work but just seems like barriers to potentially feeling part of the church). Also, here in NZ the EO churches mostly speak their own language in service (greek, arabic, romanian etc) and unsure how we would be received. We would appreciate any thoughts from members who are in a similar position (seeking the purest form of Christianity) and what their research and experiences have uncovered/revealed. Many thanks and God bless.
Greetings and welcome to the forum Corey! As a general rule, Antiochian Orthodox Church services will be mostly in English, while Greek Orthodox Churches will be a blend of about 40% Greek 60% English. In Christchurch there are Greek, Antiochian, Russian and Romanian parishes. I'm not familiar with the Christchurch parishes, but googling Orthodox Church Christchurch will pull up location & contact details.

Don't let the language issue put you off. All parishes should have bilingual service books, and all priests I've met in NZ are approachable & reasonably fluent in English. Contact a priest, let him know of your interest in Orthodoxy & attending a service & go from there.

In Auckland, as well as the Russian Orthodox Church recommended by Ignatius, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Western Springs is also worth trying.

Reactions: Corey P
Upvote 0

Corey P

Dec 12, 2023
Christchurch
✟1,961.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings and welcome to the forum Corey! As a general rule, Antiochian Orthodox Church services will be mostly in English, while Greek Orthodox Churches will be a blend of about 40% Greek 60% English. In Christchurch there are Greek, Antiochian, Russian and Romanian parishes. I'm not familiar with the Christchurch parishes, but googling Orthodox Church Christchurch will pull up location & contact details.

Don't let the language issue put you off. All parishes should have bilingual service books, and all priests I've met in NZ are approachable & reasonably fluent in English. Contact a priest, let him know of your interest in Orthodoxy & attending a service & go from there.

In Auckland, as well as the Russian Orthodox Church recommended by Ignatius, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Western Springs is also worth trying.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, my wife and I will approach a local Orthodox Church in the New Year.

Reactions: Augustinosia
Upvote 0