Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think we may be safe here unless someone objects, what do others here think?

It seems silly to start a new thread for 60-65 year olds doesn't it?

Alllivesmatter the thread is 65+;)
I guess its kind of nice being too young for something, its been a long time since that's happened to me!
Well even though I'm in Australia, I am glad your elections are over because all we have had on over here is the US elections, sport, and Covid19 in that order.
I have to say this country is obsessed with sport to the point of almost religious with many .
What has made me quite cross is that here in Victoria we had pretty much beaten Covid (well as much as you can, because its here to stay ) and our government has allowed the Australian Open tennis to go ahead and yesterday we had 10 cases from those who had come in internationally.Of course its also the entourage travelling with the players as well.
Everyone is into quarantine for 2 weeks beforehand with separate times out to practice. Some who have been positive or travelling with someone who is, have to stay in their rooms. They have been provided with gym equipment etc to help them but some have been kicking up about it, moaning about meals etc.
One very well European one said they should be put up in private houses with tennis courts!!!!
I think all international events should be postponed for this year and limited to each ones countries.

When I see what is happening in the UK and other countries and medical staff in tears, it just breaks my heart.

Our Summer so far hadn't been too bad but its come with a vengeance, tomorrow 36C rising upward to 42C on Monday with hot nights. I don't like Summer at anytime so not looking forward to it.
I am fortunate to have air-conditioning and fans. Even the animals feel it, the dogs are laying on the bricks rather than carpet and my cat is on a chair directly under a fan.:)

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Am I being a nuisance here? What about making this 60+?
Because I can't join in the 50's.
And unless you allow me here, I can't join in
:(
I am 62. The worst of it is I keep forgetting my actual age, no I don't make myself younger, but for some bizarre reason I keep thinking I'm 64o_O
Hi Heavenhome, I appreciate your point about not being able to post on a 50s thread, although I don't think they've done one yet and if they did they could make it 50-64 :).

As the OP I can change the title of this thread from my computer, and will think about lowering the age-level. However the reason for making it 65+ is that Golden Eagles is a very wide age group with at least 30 years between the oldest and youngest members. As my perspective on life changed in my late 60s, with retirement and ageing, and 65 is the normal retirement age (I believe) in most places, I thought 65 would be an appropriate lower age of the Senior Eagles thread. I nearly made it 70+ but thought that there might not be enough people to post on it. However if I lower it to 60 there will be at least 20 years between the oldest and youngest posters on here. I'm a bit reluctant to do that as it can feel isolating to have a great difference between members' ages on a life stages forum, and this is only one thread. There is the rest of the forum for us all to share and I know that you are a regular and valued contributor there. However I don't think that there would be a problem in younger 60s popping in here, as long as the thread retains its focus. :)

Lol about thinking you are 64! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Heavenhome, I appreciate your point about not being able to post on a 50s thread, although I don't think they've done one yet and if they did they could make it 50-64 :).

As the OP I can change the title of this thread from my computer, and will think about lowering the age-level. However the reason for making it 65+ is that Golden Eagles is a very wide age group with at least 30 years between the oldest and youngest members. As my perspective on life changed in my late 60s, with retirement and ageing, and 65 is the normal retirement age (I believe) in most places, I thought 65 would be an appropriate lower age of the Senior Eagles thread. I nearly made it 70+ but thought that there might not be enough people to post on it. However if I lower it to 60 there will be at least 20 years between the oldest and youngest posters on here. I'm a bit reluctant to do that as it can feel isolating to have a great difference between members' ages on a life stages forum, and this is only one thread. There is the rest of the forum for us all to share and I know that you are a regular and valued contributor there. However I don't think that there would be a problem in younger 60s popping in here, as long as the thread retains its focus. :)

Lol about thinking you are 64! :D

Please don't go to the trouble of trying to change the age of the thread. I understand the reasons that you made it 65+ now, thank you for explaining:)
It makes a lot of sense.
I will pop in occasionally if that's alright, you are a lovely group of people and your views and wisdom, I appreciate greatly.:heart:

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Please don't go to the trouble of trying to change the age of the thread. I understand the reasons that you made it 65+ now, thank you for explaining:)
It makes a lot of sense.
I will pop in occasionally if that's alright, you are a lovely group of people and your views and wisdom, I appreciate greatly.:heart:
Thank you Heavenhome; that was a very gracious reply. I don't want anyone to feel excluded, but I'm glad you understand my reasons for making it 65+. :) (Maybe I should just have called it "Is anyone else 65+?" Lol!) And yes please pop in; you are a very valuable contributor, and thank you for your nice comments about us. :)

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I have to say this country is obsessed with sport to the point of almost religious with many .
What has made me quite cross is that here in Victoria we had pretty much beaten Covid (well as much as you can, because its here to stay ) and our government has allowed the Australian Open tennis to go ahead and yesterday we had 10 cases from those who had come in internationally.
Oh gosh yes! I mean - well done in beating Covid :oldthumbsup:, but to allow the tennis championships! I can understand your feelings. I don't know why anyone is travelling at the moment. There was something on the News here about one of the British airports - probably Heathrow - and it was full of people! I don't know whether they were coming in or out, but either way it seems crazy to me in this pandemic. :scratch:

Our Summer so far hadn't been too bad but its come with a vengeance, tomorrow 36C rising upward to 42C on Monday with hot nights. I don't like Summer at anytime so not looking forward to it.
I am fortunate to have air-conditioning and fans. Even the animals feel it, the dogs are laying on the bricks rather than carpet and my cat is on a chair directly under a fan.:)
Cats seem to have the knack of finding the most comfortable place, I think! You conjure up a lovely picture with your pets. :) I hope you cope okay with the heat (I don't like it hot either, but we don't reach those temps!) and you must be glad of the air con!

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
(Just on CF for a second).Watching Bill Engvall on YouTube Dont know what he's doing these days Had forgotten how funny he was! Anyone else like him?
I've never heard of him tturt. Maybe because I'm across the Pond! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A thread for 65+ is a good idea ... my DIL just turned 50 ... and we have quite different views about a lot of things ... I guess we are all products of the age we grew up in to a certain extent ... though our relationship with Jesus Christ brings us all together. PIL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
A thread for 65+ is a good idea ... my DIL just turned 50 ... and we have quite different views about a lot of things ... I guess we are all products of the age we grew up in to a certain extent ... though our relationship with Jesus Christ brings us all together. PIL
Yes, I suppose it's unity with diversity. I think our oneness in Christ transcends everything, but on more superficial issues we can feel differently to younger people, and have seen life from another perspective (i.e. growing up in an earlier generation). I love being around youngsters, and 50 seems young to me now, but enjoy some time with those who are at a similar stage to me and can remember the things I can.

On that note what are the earliest memories any of you can remember: world events, TV shows, anything in the public arena? I can just remember The Suez Crisis, although I didn't know what it was at the time, and TV shows include I Love Lucy, The Lone Ranger, Popeye, What's My Line and Crackerjack. How about you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TV was a bit slow reaching my corner of the world ... in 1959 we would take little collapsible stools to sit on the sidewalk to watch the first episodes of Bonanza in the store window.

When TV did reach our home I remember they would sign off every evening with The Epilogue where a Christian minister would give a very short homily.

The first time I took notice of world news was the Cuba missile crisis in 1962 ... we saw Bert the turtle "duck & cover" ads on TV ... which are now on Youtube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like you have your hands full, thank you for your sis. God bless you and your struggles and I pray life will be easier for you soon. It's hard to enjoy life when you are overwhelmed.
Nice to see you here:)
Thank you for your kind words and prayers.
Gillian

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I kept dropping things so my daughter got me one of those pick-it-up things (what do you call them?) ... trouble is I keep dropping the pick-it-up gadget so the back's still aching ... it reminds me of the old man who said "these days when I bend down to pick something up I look around for what else I can do while down there".

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
TV was a bit slow reaching my corner of the world ... in 1959 we would take little collapsible stools to sit on the sidewalk to watch the first episodes of Bonanza in the store window.

When TV did reach our home I remember they would sign off every evening with The Epilogue where a Christian minister would give a very short homily.

The first time I took notice of world news was the Cuba missile crisis in 1962 ... we saw Bert the turtle "duck & cover" ads on TV ... which are now on Youtube
I love the idea of your collapsible stools on the sidewalk. :) I remember Bonanza and also the Epilogue. Also the Cuba missile crisis, although I wasn't really aware of what it was. I don't remember the "duck and cover" ads, but I've just had a look at them on YouTube and it was sad to see the real risk we were under. Also strange were some of the cynical comments, presumably from younger people, who didn't seem to understand the world at the time. They seem surprised that children would obey adults and didn't seem to understand that adults wanted to keep kids calm even if the measures taken would not provide much protection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love the idea of your collapsible stools on the sidewalk. :) I remember Bonanza and also the Epilogue. Also the Cuba missile crisis, although I wasn't really aware of what it was. I don't remember the "duck and cover" ads, but I've just had a look at them on YouTube and it was sad to see the real risk we were under. Also strange were some of the cynical comments, presumably from younger people, who didn't seem to understand the world at the time. They seem surprised that children would obey adults and didn't seem to understand that adults wanted to keep kids calm even if the measures taken would not provide much protection.
What were you doing when you heard Kennedy was shot? It seems most people are able to recall the moment, it was so shocking. I was on a bus at night coming home from a party with some friends - in those days we used to carry around little transistor radios with us and played them rather loudly to annoy the older folks ... now I am one of the grumpy older folks :)

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your encouragement about the Senior Eagles Gillian. I know what you mean about the age gap! :D

I was wondering how your husband was, since you mentioned him in the prayer thread, and am praying for you and your family. You certainly seem to have your hands full. I'm glad that your sister can give you a break from time to time. :)

Thanks for your prayers, Reborn. My husband is managing a little bit better with speaking, but sometimes gets stuck mid-sentence. A friend who was here recently remarked that he seemed a lot better, which encouraged my husband greatly.

My sister and I haven't been able to go away together since November due to lockdown restrictions, but we keep in touch regularly.

Gillian

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks for your prayers, Reborn. My husband is managing a little bit better with speaking, but sometimes gets stuck mid-sentence. A friend who was here recently remarked that he seemed a lot better, which encouraged my husband greatly.

My sister and I haven't been able to go away together since November due to lockdown restrictions, but we keep in touch regularly.

Gillian
I'm glad that your husband is improving Gillian - praise God - and I'm praying for him and you. Yes, lockdown has prevented people going away, but I hope that you are managing okay. :)

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
What were you doing when you heard Kennedy was shot? It seems most people are able to recall the moment, it was so shocking. I was on a bus at night coming home from a party with some friends - in those days we used to carry around little transistor radios with us and played them rather loudly to annoy the older folks ... now I am one of the grumpy older folks :)
I was 12 and I remember it vividly. I had been out for a walk with my father - it was evening here in the UK - and we'd just come in when Mum, who had been watching the television, told us that Kennedy had been shot. Even now I can remember her expression of shock and surprise.

That seemed to be the "What were you doing when....?" question for many years but now there are relatively few people old enough to remember it. I think younger people refer to 9/11, but it occurs to me that there are people, now adults, who are too young to remember 9/11. Where did all the years go? :eek: :D

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0