Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
These posts are reminding me of the "senior games" thread we had years ago; I'll have to see if I can dig it up from the archives! Also our "senior moments", of which I have many, including going into a room and then asking myself why I'm here, before telling myself that I don't mean in the deep philosophical way, but why am I standing on that precise spot!
Sounds like fun, maybe you can recreate it?

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Sounds like fun, maybe you can recreate it?
I've found it, but it's closed for further replies (probably too old). You could read it here: Senior games | Christian Forums

BTW does anyone else find that buying household items gets really complicated these days? Washing machines, irons, TVs - Smart or not, Smart meters and now telephone handsets! I was up all night choosing one: corded/non-corded; answer machine/no machine; call barring/non call barring; etc, etc. and why does anyone want 30 ring tones? :scratch:

In contrast, buying my computer had been easy - I just took the receipt for the old one to the shop and asked for a new equivalent. The nice young (well middle-aged, but young to me) man was extremely helpful, and I played up the older lady, not used to technology, needs everything explained to her image I presented. It worked, but I can't do that during lockdown, so I had to choose the phone on the internet and eventually bought a basic model because I don't have decades left to work out what to do with the features I don't want! I do appreciate the options our modern technology gives us, but I wish someone would explain what they mean and not just assume we know. :mad: :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just don't buy anything with "smart" in it.
UM, goodluck with that, lol

If only I could find an honest and reliable plumber.....

I hope that means you will start a new one?.(it usually means someone said something they shouldn't have, lol)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Anyone else here over 65 (and don't mind sharing it :D)? Do you have any comments or thoughts on being an older Golden Eagle, being retired or anything else?

I loved my 60s and really enjoy retirement. I've just turned 70 and my perspective has changed a bit. I like my age and love talking to others who've been through the same stages of life during the same decades. (Although I enjoy being with younger people too.) I can't believe we're 70 now. It feels like 50 but without having to go to work! :oldthumbsup: :D

A couple of things are different though. I've realised that I have to be a bit more careful health wise. I need to be able to do everything for myself, so having a broken limb would be a real bind, and I'm aware of being slightly more frail than a few years ago.

The other is that Heaven has started to feel nearer. Although I think I have a few years left I find it awesome that before very long I'll be in the place where "...There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain... " (Rev 21 v 4b). Sometimes I worry that I have not done enough, but then I tell myself I'm going to Heaven because I have accepted Jesus as my Saviour, not because of anything I've done (apart from believing in Him).

What are your thoughts/experiences?
A few comments, as if I haven't said enough.
If you can, get familiar with shopping on line. I would be lost without it. Seriously, if I can't get to the store the only alternative is delivery and I have a big problem with some of the baskets to fill and how to fill them on line. Some are much easier then others. I am soon going to try Walmart for small shopping as they don't require an amount to spend before they deliver. If you wait til you need them it will be an extra burden on you in short notice. I like the way you talked about getting closer to heaven and how its not how much you do, etc. Also, I rely on lyft and the other one for transportation so getting familiar with what it available in your neck of the woods if you are on foot.
As to the phone, I used to be tech smart but as you know that field changes faster than anything else. My advice is to get as simple as you can and even that isn't that simple. A lot of sellers will spend time with what you personally need if You are willing to go to their shop and listen.
God bless you.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes buying items is a big pain. It doesn't matter that I all I need/want is a machine with an off/on switch, they're not available. Same with simple items as well. Dr said take probiotics and gave 3 recommendations. Googled a selection and yielded 20 variations of the 1.

Finding where items are manufactured is important to me.

Definitely thankful for online shopping. But their availability info is not always accurate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟101,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
our "senior moments", of which I have many, including going into a room and then asking myself why I'm here, before telling myself that I don't mean in the deep philosophical way, but why am I standing on that precise spot!
I usually have to go back to where I just came from, then it dawns on me

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I like the idea of Senior Eagles. I will be 72 next month, so there is a considerable age gap between me and the 50 year olds in the forum. Indeed, potentially, I could have baby sat them!

Up until July last year life was busy enough, with three adult children on the autistic spectrum with two of them having additional health problems and one having problems at work. In July my husband was added to the list when he had a stroke which has left him with aphasia - that's the new name for dysphasia - and I've had to take over many of his roles. He's actually the hardest to care for of the four of them! Thankfully I have a sister who takes me away for a weekend every few weeks to give me a break, and our eldest looks after things here while I'm away.

I've had senior moments for quite a few years now and I also forget sometimes what I was going to do or say until I go back to where I came from.

Physically I'm not as fit as I was and when we got a Siberian Husky pup three and a half years ago I wondered if I would still be walking her when I'm 80. No, since hubby had the stroke I haven't had time to walk her, apart from a walk round our yard in the morning after breakfast. Even that is becoming difficult for me as she doesn't want to come back in again and I have to tug on her lead to make her come with me, which leaves me out of breath and panting for a couple of minutes after we get back in. The two sons I mentioned are now responsible for her walks.

Gillian

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
@rebornfree
If you don't have an animal and can have one I would suggest a dog. Men should have dogs. They keep you from being lonely and they love and adore you. They are great company and they keep you busy. Many have saved their masters in dire straights.:)
Hope you are faring well, haven't seen you for a while.
You haven't posted in the thread you re created, lol.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I like the idea of Senior Eagles. I will be 72 next month, so there is a considerable age gap between me and the 50 year olds in the forum. Indeed, potentially, I could have baby sat them!

Up until July last year life was busy enough, with three adult children on the autistic spectrum with two of them having additional health problems and one having problems at work. In July my husband was added to the list when he had a stroke which has left him with aphasia - that's the new name for dysphasia - and I've had to take over many of his roles. He's actually the hardest to care for of the four of them! Thankfully I have a sister who takes me away for a weekend every few weeks to give me a break, and our eldest looks after things here while I'm away.

I've had senior moments for quite a few years now and I also forget sometimes what I was going to do or say until I go back to where I came from.

Physically I'm not as fit as I was and when we got a Siberian Husky pup three and a half years ago I wondered if I would still be walking her when I'm 80. No, since hubby had the stroke I haven't had time to walk her, apart from a walk round our yard in the morning after breakfast. Even that is becoming difficult for me as she doesn't want to come back in again and I have to tug on her lead to make her come with me, which leaves me out of breath and panting for a couple of minutes after we get back in. The two sons I mentioned are now responsible for her walks.

Gillian
Sounds like you have your hands full, thank you for your sis. God bless you and your struggles and I pray life will be easier for you soon. It's hard to enjoy life when you are overwhelmed.
Nice to see you here:)

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I will be 80 on Thanksgiving day this 2021. I won't bother you with all the health problems because I asked God "please don't let my mind go bad" and so far, it is still intact.
Anybody here older than myself?
Hi Blest1. :wave: I haven't seen you on GE before. I hope you enjoy the fellowship here. I've been a member for 13 years, and have found this a very friendly forum; I hope you do too.

Gillian
Thank you for your encouragement about the Senior Eagles Gillian. I know what you mean about the age gap! :D

I was wondering how your husband was, since you mentioned him in the prayer thread, and am praying for you and your family. You certainly seem to have your hands full. I'm glad that your sister can give you a break from time to time. :)

@rebornfree
If you don't have an animal and can have one I would suggest a dog. Men should have dogs. They keep you from being lonely and they love and adore you. They are great company and they keep you busy. Many have saved their masters in dire straights.:)
Actually I'm a cat person, although I understand how people can love their dogs. I've loved my cats in the past but haven't got time for a pet now. We're fairly communal here and a neighbour has a beautiful cat whom we all love; his visits are sufficient.

I've been very busy this week; usually I try to post a couple of times a week. However I'm really pleased to see how the thread has taken off and thank everyone for their contributions. :)
Yes buying items is a big pain. It doesn't matter that I all I need/want is a machine with an off/on switch, they're not available. Same with simple items as well. Dr said take probiotics and gave 3 recommendations. Googled a selection and yielded 20 variations of the 1.

Finding where items are manufactured is important to me.

Definitely thankful for online shopping. But their availability info is not always accurate.
Yes, I shop online a lot and like you sometimes just want a simple machine. :)

After hours of choosing phones, cancelling one order and sending another back I've found out that the problem was with my master socket and ADSL filter, so I'm now DIY shopping for those and using the test socket (on the advice of my phone provider) and a neighbour's spare ADSL in the meantime. A week ago I didn't even know there was a test socket! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
@rebornfree
BTW I'm female!
Re the other thread - it's not taken off, so it's probably just better to let it die! I've been here long enough to know that some things work at some times and not at others! :D

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
BTW I'm female!
Re the other thread - it's not taken off, so it's probably just better to let it die! I've been here long enough to know that some things work at some times and not at others! :D
OOp's, sorry, lol. That must have been an assumption?
What other thread? Did I goof somewhere else? lol

• Friendly
Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
OOp's, sorry, lol. That must have been an assumption?
What other thread? Did I goof somewhere else? lol
No problems re the gender. Lol! Yes, an assumption although I did mention being an older lady in #22. It's so easy to miss things though and make assumptions because we don't know and see the people we're talking to. However my posts have been written from a female perspective so maybe they'll seem different to you now. Lol :)

The thread is this one Senior Games (Round 2) | Christian Forums which I recreated because the original one was closed.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I knew I'd seen it somewhere - if we click on a person's username it usually gives the gender and also where they are from. One of my senior moments knowing that I'd seen that information but couldn't remember where! :doh::D

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I knew I'd seen it somewhere - if we click on a person's username it usually gives the gender and also where they are from. One of my senior moments knowing that I'd seen that information but couldn't remember where! :doh::D
Yes, I usually don't check that out unless I am curious about the person.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
A few comments, as if I haven't said enough.
If you can, get familiar with shopping on line. I would be lost without it. Seriously, if I can't get to the store the only alternative is delivery and I have a big problem with some of the baskets to fill and how to fill them on line. Some are much easier then others. I am soon going to try Walmart for small shopping as they don't require an amount to spend before they deliver. If you wait til you need them it will be an extra burden on you in short notice. I like the way you talked about getting closer to heaven and how its not how much you do, etc. Also, I rely on lyft and the other one for transportation so getting familiar with what it available in your neck of the woods if you are on foot.
As to the phone, I used to be tech smart but as you know that field changes faster than anything else. My advice is to get as simple as you can and even that isn't that simple. A lot of sellers will spend time with what you personally need if You are willing to go to their shop and listen.
God bless you.
Yes, I've been grocery shopping online for years. Do you have a minimum spend for the baskets at your online grocery store? We do, but I easily fill it as I shop every two or three weeks and do extra bits in between, either in town or when I'm out walking. I hope that your Walmart shopping has worked out okay.

We're in lockdown in the UK so I can't go into the phone store, but as it seems to be the filter which is the problem I might not need to buy one. Can anyone tell me whether ADSL filters are specific to brands of phones or whether they can be used with any, please? Also does anyone think that it's better to spend a bit more money and get a good one?

Regarding what I said about getting nearer to Heaven. For all of us who have accepted the Lord Jesus as our Saviour it is going to be wonderful, even if we have many years before getting there. Sometimes when life can be hard the thought can help get us through. :)

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's worth doing so we know something about who we're replying to. :oldthumbsup:
If on occasion I have looked I found it lacking in much info and I would rather not be forewarned, lol ..I guess to each her own.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Am I being a nuisance here? What about making this 60+?
Because I can't join in the 50's.
And unless you allow me here, I can't join in
:(
I am 62. The worst of it is I keep forgetting my actual age, no I don't make myself younger, but for some bizarre reason I keep thinking I'm 64o_O

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Am I being a nuisance here? What about making this 60+?
Because I can't join in the 50's.
And unless you allow me here, I can't join in
:(
I am 62. The worst of it is I keep forgetting my actual age, no I don't make myself younger, but for some bizarre reason I keep thinking I'm 64o_O
WHAT? All this time I thought I was in the 60's plus, lol.
I think that is a great idea. More like just a senior thread and anyone thinking they are seniors can post. After all, it still isn't clear what age a senior is, is it? So do you petition the staff? Maybe where you request a new thread you would also ask for a change in an existing thread? I am backing you Heaven:)

Upvote 0