NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Anyone else here over 65 (and don't mind sharing it :D)? Do you have any comments or thoughts on being an older Golden Eagle, being retired or anything else?

I loved my 60s and really enjoy retirement. I've just turned 70 and my perspective has changed a bit. I like my age and love talking to others who've been through the same stages of life during the same decades. (Although I enjoy being with younger people too.) I can't believe we're 70 now. It feels like 50 but without having to go to work! :oldthumbsup: :D

A couple of things are different though. I've realised that I have to be a bit more careful health wise. I need to be able to do everything for myself, so having a broken limb would be a real bind, and I'm aware of being slightly more frail than a few years ago.

The other is that Heaven has started to feel nearer. Although I think I have a few years left I find it awesome that before very long I'll be in the place where "...There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain... " (Rev 21 v 4b). Sometimes I worry that I have not done enough, but then I tell myself I'm going to Heaven because I have accepted Jesus as my Saviour, not because of anything I've done (apart from believing in Him).

What are your thoughts/experiences?

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In my view what you said here:
"I have to be a bit more careful health wise. I need to be able to do everything for myself, so having a broken limb would be a real bind, and I'm aware of being slightly more frail than a few years ago."
is the most important thing.

If you do I think you will have little to worry about. And balance too. Falling is prevalent with balance.
God bless and Happy New Year.
Pm me anytime if ever I can help.

Last edited:
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

faithinlife

Feb 18, 2009
USA
✟186,480.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was 66 this year. It is good to exercise, eat healthy foods and work on keeping your mind alert. Currently, working on employment; there may be work at home jobs that would work with the Wi-fi internet connection. A lot of home computer jobs require the Ethernet cable or DSL connection for the computer work. Plan also to do online classes. A good benefit of being 65 and older is the opportunities to take free college classes from different universities. I may try some of those classes or other online courses. Online Bible studies are good also. There are many virtual programs due to the pandemic.

Upvote 0

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟108,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Almost 72
Feeling it a bit, but still very physically active
Living off grid in the mountains for the last five years helped preserve me some

moi 200 large (2).jpg

No complaints

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks everyone for your contributions. :) It's interesting to read about what you are doing. It seems that we baby boomers have quite a few opportunities in our later years and are making use of them.

I may have given the wrong impression when I said that I was slightly more frail than I used to be. What I meant was that, as older bones can break more easily, I've become more careful about some heavier jobs around the home, particularly if they may put strain on the hands. It hit home to me when I had a minor injury which resulted in a few hours in hospital. I was told to go home and rest. Well I couldn't - I had to tidy up, get showered and make some food. So to avoid it happening again I've told myself that I can't do things quite the same as when I was 30 without risking injury!

I love to exercise and have an exercise bike and also like walking, although I was careful not to go out when there was freezing snow on the ground. I did a degree in my early 60s, graduating at 65 (I always was a slow learner! :D), and am thankful that it is finished now. However I'm looking at some issues from it, as well as surfing the net. There is so much to find out on there.

I'm one of the "I don't know how I had time to work" retirees. I am so thankful to have time to do these things, to get the household jobs done, pray and read the Bible as well as having some leisure time. I do enjoy my leisure time! :D

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Foresight is hind sight. As long as you go to a doctor and he keeps up with your well being he will be able to advise you as to what would help.
I think from what you said that you are a step ahead of the future. Google is a big help in finding some contraption that you had no idea was available.
God bless you and feel free to ask if there is anyway I can help with.
I hope your future will be full of blessings and helping hands.

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I will be 80 on Thanksgiving day this 2021. I won't bother you with all the health problems because I asked God "please don't let my mind go bad" and so far, it is still intact.
Anybody here older than myself?
There is one that I know of but he should tell you if he wants to. He's pretty proud of it so if he reads this thread I am sure he will. He's only a little ahead of you
WELCOME TO THE FORUM
I hope you will enjoy it here. A lot of nice Christian and they sure know a lot about His word:)

I sure understand about the mind going, I sort of worry when I can't remember something and usually ask God where it is and I find it after I ask him.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟108,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I won't bother you with all the health problems because I asked God "please don't let my mind go bad" and so far, it is still intact.
Yeah, I'm only 71, but people/places names are starting to escape me
Actually, it's been that way for me for a few years now
I find going thru the alphabet is a help
However, if I get to the letter 'U' with no results, I know I'm in trouble
Three runs thru the 26 letters usually gets me the name

In another life I was a member of a group that made posters
They were opposite of the motivational posters that were popular two or three decades ago

This subject reminds me of one;

not to brag.jpg

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

They were opposite of the motivational posters that were popular two or three decades ago

View attachment 292913
OOOOOh! That makes me madder then anything, I get up to do something and I can't remember what! ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

View attachment 292913
That;s interesting, I hadn't heard that before as a help.
Thanks

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wanted to add - reading "God's Prescription Book" by Dr Avery Jackson, a neurosurgeon and a Christian. So he takes a different look at the impact of Scripture. An example is from the chapter on laughter - Says our bodies can't tell the difference between an authentic laugh or when we make ourselves laugh. But "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine..." (Pro 17:22). Laughter, joy, and exercise affect the same receptors that pain does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟108,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that before as a help.
Thanks
Used it just yesterday
Couldn't recall an acquaintance's last name
The 2nd time thru the alphabet, I camped on 'B'
It felt right (mainly because none of the other letters seemed at all candidates)
Then added letters to that
Stopped at 'U'
Felt right....'it's coming'
'Bullock! His last name is Bullock!!!'

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Used it just yesterday
Couldn't recall an acquaintance's last name
The 2nd time thru the alphabet, I camped on 'B'
It felt right (mainly because none of the other letters seemed at all candidates)
Then added letters to that
Stopped at 'U'
Felt right....'it's coming'
'Bullock! His last name is Bullock!!!'
:clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
These posts are reminding me of the "senior games" thread we had years ago; I'll have to see if I can dig it up from the archives! Also our "senior moments", of which I have many, including going into a room and then asking myself why I'm here, before telling myself that I don't mean in the deep philosophical way, but why am I standing on that precise spot!

Upvote 0