Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I noticed something last Friday when I was in Walgreens picking up a prescription. Right there next to the prescription window is a book shelf filled with books on god, religion, the healing power of prayer, etc etc.

Is it coincidence that these books happen to be in this particular spot in the store? I don't think it's likely, personally. No, I'm fairly certian these kinds of books are put up for sale there because that's where the most people who are sick will spot them, and likely buy them.

I thought to myself as I was checking out with my medication that this is a low-down marketing tactic. And then I got mad. These companies that publish these books (and Walgreens themselves) aren't trying to help any sick people by showing them the way to god, healing, prayer, or the like. They are simply trying to make a buck by preying on sick people.

Should religion be "for sale?" Am I the only one who thinks that it's a tacky (at the very least) marketing strategy?

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Eh, some stores will just do that, I think. If it's books specifically about prayer and healing, then while I think it won't actually work for people, it's certainly in the right area of the store by intent at any rate.

While I can't say I noticed anything Christian there, there is an aisle in my local Whole Foods that I now insist on referring to as "the woo aisle".

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I noticed something last Friday when I was in Walgreens picking up a prescription. Right there next to the prescription window is a book shelf filled with books on god, religion, the healing power of prayer, etc etc.

Is it coincidence that these books happen to be in this particular spot in the store? I don't think it's likely, personally. No, I'm fairly certian these kinds of books are put up for sale there because that's where the most people who are sick will spot them, and likely buy them.

I thought to myself as I was checking out with my medication that this is a low-down marketing tactic. And then I got mad. These companies that publish these books (and Walgreens themselves) aren't trying to help any sick people by showing them the way to god, healing, prayer, or the like. They are simply trying to make a buck by preying on sick people.

Should religion be "for sale?" Am I the only one who thinks that it's a tacky (at the very least) marketing strategy?
Considering the Bible itself has become a for-profit business venture, does this really surprise you? And let's not get started on multi-millionaire prosperity preachers like Joel Osteen or Joyce Meyer.

When any Conservative Bible Publisher can create a translation and market it to a certain demographic, and the demographic still views it as the inerrant, infallible Word of God, you've got the most successful business scam in human history.

So yes, I agree it's very tacky. Somehow I don't think Jesus' intention for spreading the Gospel was mass for-profit marketing, or televangelism.

Upvote 0

full_of_faith

Apr 9, 2006
✟8,554.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is your opinion that stores are trying to sell books on religion. Perhaps someone walking in may see the book and realize that it was something that they were looking for. Or maybe the book or Bible strikes a chord with them so they buy it. Books, Bibles, etc. are sold all over in bookstores, stores, etc. all the time. If someone wants to buy a book on religion or the Bible, they will. If they aren't interested/don't need it/already have it at home, etc. then they probably won't buy it.

Upvote 0

ranunculus

Aug 21, 2008
✟271,130.00
Country
Luxembourg
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why are you angry that sick people would chance upon a book about God's healing power :confused:
Because there's an element there of "preying on the weak".

Most people who go to pharmacies are having some kind of problem. They may be less able-bodied and in a state of mind where they are susceptible to all kinds of quackery. Like homeopathy for example.

How would you feel if those weren't christian books but instead Dianetics or The Secret or the healing power of chakras?

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Most people who go to pharmacies are having some kind of problem. They may be less able-bodied and in a state of mind where they are susceptible to all kinds of quackery.

Well, even considering that Christian healing may not be quackery, it's undeniable that it's not very reliable. Genuine, verifiable healings aren't anywhere to be found.

Or at least not to any level beyond placebo.

Upvote 0

Daniel25

Mar 1, 2011
✟1,091.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Considering the Bible itself has become a for-profit business venture, does this really surprise you? And let's not get started on multi-millionaire prosperity preachers like Joel Osteen or Joyce Meyer.

When any Conservative Bible Publisher can create a translation and market it to a certain demographic, and the demographic still views it as the inerrant, infallible Word of God, you've got the most successful business scam in human history.

So yes, I agree it's very tacky. Somehow I don't think Jesus' intention for spreading the Gospel was mass for-profit marketing, or televangelism.

Some serious tin foil hatting here. All of the Super-Conservative Prots I know have an obession with the KJV (the catholics have an equally embarassing movement in Douay-Rheims only-ism. EDIT: actually more embarassing. )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Why are you angry that sick people would chance upon a book about God's healing power :confused:

Well, for starters, like ranunculus pointed out, there is an element of preying on the weak (which is sickening enough in and of itself). And secondly, "god's healing power" is snake oil - there's no such healing power. God doesn't heal people, plain and simple.

Upvote 0

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟11,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged

I think the idea is that someone is profiting off of it that is the big problem. If you stood there personally handing out pamphlets for free, no one would be making the same argument.

Upvote 0

hollyda

To read makes our speaking English good
Mar 25, 2011
One Square Foot of Real Estate
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the idea is that someone is profiting off of it that is the big problem. If you stood there personally handing out pamphlets for free, no one would be making the same argument.

This. Last time I checked, Jesus didn't charge the lepers or send Lazarus a miraculous resurrection fee.

Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
People "sell" religion all the time I used to work in a gift store at a hospital and they sold rosary beads for like $15 USD.

That and I seen non religious people get religious during their own death or someone else s death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

You raise a good point -- especially about religion being for sale.

Perhaps,though, these books are not even really meant to gain much profit, in which case it would be more acceptable.

But let us say that you cut your hand and your dog comes up to lick the wound... In no way is it helping, but the dog is doing something with a good intention.

Let us say that you are speaking with a person who truly believes in herbal medicine and recommends that you change some aspect of your diet and take some herbs, you will truly get better, even though herbal medicine is quite questionable and many do not believe in it -- let's say you also do not believe in it...

But what is important about these scenarios, and the one above, is the intention of the person.

They want to help you; make you happy, etc.

So unless they are really making profit off of this... I do not see it as super negative.

I was once instructed to eat kimchi and other spicy food in large amounts, and then was honestly told that I should drink hard liquor to help cure a cold... The general theory this 70 year old dude who probably never graduated the 7th grade had was "the spice and alcohol drives the bad fluid out of you, because with all the spice your nose runs and you sweat; and with all the alcohol you pee more, and then you will get rid of the runny nose..."

Needless to say... This is not good advice at all... But hey, I took it with a smile and a nod.

Upvote 0

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

They have been selling religion for thousands of years.

If only now you have realised it and now are angry, then you have just woken up.

Upvote 0