Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Learn how to defend the faith with the help of Patrick Flynn, David Bonagura, Brandon Vogt and John Redford.

More than once in recent months, I’ve encountered someone who scoffed at the idea of organized religion. Maybe it’s Christianity that he disdains; perhaps it’s the Catholic faith in particular that doesn’t ring true to his way of thinking.

How can one counter the Office Atheist, using reason and charity to expose the flaws in his understanding of the meaning of life? Just in time, a couple of great books showed up in my mailbox. Recognizing the emerging need, I reached back into my bookcase to revisit a few older titles that share the mission of converting the skeptic. Perhaps you’ll find them useful, too!

The Best Argument for God by Patrick Flynn (Sophia Institute Press, 2023)

The title of Flynn’s book seems to suggest that there is a single primary argument that proves beyond a doubt that God exists, but the book itself presents numerous arguments, each with compelling logic. Flynn counters the claims of atheistic naturalism with charity and clarity, applying philosophy, logic and plain common sense.

How did the world begin? Flynn begins with that classic question, “Why is there something rather than nothing?” He recalls worrying, as a child of just 8 years, whether he might just blip out of existence. And then he helps the reader to see the logic, the manifest necessity, of a Creator who continues to care for his creation.

Continued below.