Science claims universe came from nothing at all!

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
We have the part of sincerely asking...coming to Him...believing. I would think that it was wise to assume He answered, and do whatever we could in getting to know Him. It might speed things up.
I have done both.

The lack of response neither confirms nor denies anything.

What do you think the purpose of a test is, the outcome/results or not-yet-determined?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
I tried to point out that maybe it just didn't work the way we thought it should...
And I asked what you meant by 'works', but you seem reluctant to answer.

The question (from Non-sequitur) was for a 'test' for God that would, "demonstrate him, not mentally arrive at a conclusion". This was what didn't work for me when I had done what you suggested ("Ask Jesus in yourself and see if it works"). Now you've suggested it depends what we mean by 'work', I'd like to know what you meant when you used it, if you didn't mean what Non sequitur asked.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
The problem is it predicts after the fact. It predicts based on current earth area realities only. All answers therefore have to fit one way or the other. In other words, it believes. It believes that what happens now in the (limited understanding we have of the quantum world) represents what would have happened in a great nothing void before the universe existed.
When you're trying to figure out how things came to be the way they are you have no choice but to predict after the fact; if you're lucky you'll predict something you haven't confirmed yet - for example, some hypotheses about events during the early moments of the universe predicted patterns in the cosmic background radiation. When they looked for those patterns they didn't see them, so those hypotheses have been discarded. Other hypotheses predicted different features of the CMB, and those features were found, so those hypotheses are still 'in the game'.

They don't really know what even causes these excitations do they? Science just observes them now and here. How would we know what existed or got excited before the universe existed, especially when they claim there was nothing here?
They don't know, they do 'what if' scenarios with various parameters to see what outcomes they get.

Exactly. How it now works. How it now behaves here on earth and our solar system. The issue and question is not how it exists here and now, but whether it existed before the universe did also. You can't run numbers on something here and assume it applies there and then also, unless we know something about there and then. To do otherwise is to have religion...faith.
No, there's no religion or faith; just exploring the implications and outcomes of various hypotheses.

That is circular. 'IF our realities and excitations, and quantum laws and etc etc caused all we see in the universe...THEN our maths should apply there also.
Not really. They want to see if applying the same laws in various circumstances can give rise to a universe like ours. The answer seems to be yes, it can, in a number of ways. We don't yet know if it did, or which of the possibilities is most likely - that requires new discoveries. They've also tried changing the laws - e.g. allowing the speed of light to vary, changing the fine structure constant, etc.

If you do not know how it was, then you cannot include that in the maths. All your maths stem from after the fact earth and solar system realities of today. Any attempt to explain all the universe using these is a statement of faith that what we have here now exactly represents what was here in the 'nothing' epoch.
As always in science, you need to make reasonable assumptions. I've already explained the thinking; if multiple independent lines evidence of the past are consistent with the laws of today having applied, it's reasonable to assume that those laws did apply, until there is some reason to think they did not.

Right, so what happens to particles that get cancelled out? Are they forever gone? Will they reappear somehow sometime? Could they exist in another time or space? Etc etc. With the limits of science and what we can see, how would we know?
What happens to the peak of one wave when it cancels with the trough of another (destructive interference)? the amplitudes sum to zero and they are no more. It's the same principle.

That magic pixie dust of 'enough time'. Then people must also fefine what is probable. With no God, creation is not even factored in. The only things they draw from that could then be probable become absurd and unprovable.
Neither God nor creation are necessary if quantum spacetime is all there is and all there ever was. At present it's all conjecture.

'If there were no God, and no creation, and if there were a big nothing before the universe existed, and if there were excitations of quantum fields such as we have on earth today, and if there were enough time under these assumed conditions, (or any time at all ..if time even existed before the universe..) then it is remotely feasible...'
No, you misunderstand - if all those were true, then it would be almost certain.

It only works in the remotest probabilities, and invoking the pixie of great time and etc. Name anyone anywhere that has ever done math using a different set of rules? Circular. You look at earth rules now, and bend heaven and earth and the universe itself to comply to those rules and attribute it all to those rules, and run math only based on those rules. Sounds like some sort of fetish or obsession.
There is no rational alternative to reasonable assumptions, and we can only apply the tools we have.

But regarding your constant refrain of 'different past states', how far into the past do you think we can reasonably apply the current states we see - a thousand years? ten thousand? a hundred? more? less?

But it is always nice to see some people genuinely try to justify the beliefs of science, rather than the obnoxious blind faith/no support cheerleading that some have resorted to of late on the forum.
I'm not justifying beliefs, I'm trying to describe and explain some ideas scientists are considering. There are no beliefs as such - if a scientist says they believe something, it's understood to be a provisional statement of what they think is the most likely explanation for some phenomenon.

Reactions: Tayla
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you're trying to figure out how things came to be the way they are you have no choice but to predict after the fact; if you're lucky you'll predict something you haven't confirmed yet - for example, some hypotheses about events during the early moments of the universe predicted patterns in the cosmic background radiation. When they looked for those patterns they didn't see them, so those hypotheses have been discarded. Other hypotheses predicted different features of the CMB, and those features were found, so those hypotheses are still 'in the game'.
OK. In the case of the creation remnant background waves that are interpreted as radiation here in the solar system as they enter our space, it is more a matter of interpreting waves rather than predicting what things were like before ever there was a universe.

If wee look at the grid below, and imagine this to be the area of the solar system and area, with info coming in from outside, we might get the idea.

Onde_cisaillement_impulsion_1d_30_petit.gif

Man only ever and always sees waves and all things once it enters. Since it is 'radiation' here, we imagine that represents what we see before it gets here also.

Looking at the time it takes the ripples to move across the grid, for example, we would also assume that a wave that entered the grid here also involved taking the same time to move before it entered our area or grid. If there was no time outside the grid, if time were a feature of the grid, then obviously these assumptions would have no value. All things are seen only in the grid. That is your problem with the CMB. Your problems with the entire universe popping out from nothing are far larger.
They don't know, they do 'what if' scenarios with various parameters to see what outcomes they get.

No, there's no religion or faith; just exploring the implications and outcomes of various hypotheses.
The problem with the models is that only certain beliefs are allowed and used. A belief that there was no creation. A belief that there is a universe that is the same in time and space as here. A belief that the things in the grid represent the universe. A belief that quantum fields would have existed as we know them in a time when there was nothing. Etc.
Not really. They want to see if applying the same laws in various circumstances can give rise to a universe like ours. The answer seems to be yes, it can, in a number of ways.

When you limit all explanations to certain criteria and use that as the sole basis for explanations, the answer has to be yes. The problem is the criteria used. Why should we assume no creation? Why should we assume some nothing happened to contain fields and laws like we know?
As always in science, you need to make reasonable assumptions. I've already explained the thinking; if multiple independent lines evidence of the past are consistent with the laws of today having applied, it's reasonable to assume that those laws did apply, until there is some reason to think they did not.
There is NO independent lines of evidence, there is in the grid assumptions. I sometimes call this fishbowl philosophy....rather than knowledge or science.
What happens to the peak of one wave when it cancels with the trough of another (destructive interference)? the amplitudes sum to zero and they are no more. It's the same principle.
That is a reality of the grid. Looking deeper we might ask if the wave started of fished anywhere outside our frame of reference?
Neither God nor creation are necessary if quantum spacetime is all there is and all there ever was. At present it's all conjecture.
Only if we deny history and human experience with God. Then in addition, we invoke great time...that depends on a plethora of in grid what ifs!
No, you misunderstand - if all those were true, then it would be almost certain.

There is no rational alternative to reasonable assumptions, and we can only apply the tools we have.
When we limit what is called reasonable to a godless set of dreams and beliefs, that actually is not rational.
But regarding your constant refrain of 'different past states', how far into the past do you think we can reasonably apply the current states we see - a thousand years? ten thousand? a hundred? more? less?

On earth, I suspect nature in the past was different. After the flood, about 4400 years ago in the days of Peleg I suspect the change happened. Lifespans, plant growth rates, thermodynamics, biological evolution and genetics, etc.

That has nothing to do with the far universe though, that we know.
I'm not justifying beliefs, I'm trying to describe and explain some ideas scientists are considering. There are no beliefs as such - if a scientist says they believe something, it's understood to be a provisional statement of what they think is the most likely explanation for some phenomenon.

The most likely always has to conform to the set of beliefs they use.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And I asked what you meant by 'works', but you seem reluctant to answer.

The question (from Non-sequitur) was for a 'test' for God that would, "demonstrate him, not mentally arrive at a conclusion". This was what didn't work for me when I had done what you suggested ("Ask Jesus in yourself and see if it works"). Now you've suggested it depends what we mean by 'work', I'd like to know what you meant when you used it, if you didn't mean what Non sequitur asked.

When Jesus is in men, He changes things from the inside. That is the test, that is experienced from the inside out. It is not a test designed to be seen from the outside. However, over time, usually we would hope that a changed life from the inside, would start to be visible on the outside also.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have done both.

The lack of response neither confirms nor denies anything.

What do you think the purpose of a test is, the outcome/results or not-yet-determined?
He always answers the hungry heart. In seeking, we will find. I would think when we try to believe in Jesus, and ask for His gift of eternal life, that we would be doing so from the standpoint that He already confirmed He was God by raising from the dead.
If I buy tickets for a cruse ship, I generally believe there is going to be a ship for the trip. I would not be on the couch worrying about testing if the ship existed or had leaks etc. I might look at the ratings, and see how other people enjoyed that company or etc. We have the ratings from the folks who lived with Jesus, and even folks who have Jesus living in them now.

It is not dependent on feelings, or some amazing weird experiences. It is a matter of Jesus promising a journey, and having paid for the fare.

Since faith comes by hearing the word of God, we should be trying to read or listen to it a lot. In music. In what we spend time drinking in/reading/listening to.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
dad, just because a concept is beyond your understanding does not make it "foolishness". Why don't you ask questions on the parts that you do not understand? People here will help you.
^_^
Me thinks he is a clone of AV1611VET.......

Staff edit

Awww.....thanks sis :hug:
At least my bro Phil, "AV1611VET" joined me on there also :thumbsup: :)

AV1611VET, Christian Forums [2006-Sep-12]
"There are a lot of things I have concluded to be wrong, without studying them in-depth.
Evolution is one of them. The fact that I don't know that much about it does not bother me in the least."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As of right now? 6020 years, 9 months and 9 days.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
Man only ever and always sees waves and all things once it enters. Since it is 'radiation' here, we imagine that represents what we see before it gets here also.

Looking at the time it takes the ripples to move across the grid, for example, we would also assume that a wave that entered the grid here also involved taking the same time to move before it entered our area or grid. If there was no time outside the grid, if time were a feature of the grid, then obviously these assumptions would have no value. All things are seen only in the grid. That is your problem with the CMB.
The CMB signal is consistent with what was expected from the theory developed from prior observations - it was predicted in advance of its detection. It is consistent with the basic laws of physics having applied since the big bang. Other observations of the universe are also consistent with those laws applying as far back as we can see.

Maybe you'd like to point out some inconsistencies? Your misgivings are groundless without some clear contradictions or inconsistencies in those observations.

The problem with the models is that only certain beliefs are allowed and used. A belief that there was no creation. A belief that there is a universe that is the same in time and space as here. A belief that the things in the grid represent the universe. A belief that quantum fields would have existed as we know them in a time when there was nothing. Etc.
There must always be some assumptions, and scientific consensus has it that divine creation is an ill-defined dead end. People who think otherwise are welcome to pursue it, but most are curious to know what we get if we apply the fundamental physical laws that we know.

There are some people who are exploring how universes or metaverses with different physical laws could give rise to a universe of universes like ours, but they have to make some basic assumptions; you have to start somewhere. We know they're speculative hypotheses because we know our physical models are incomplete; so there's no question of belief or faith - except the belief that such things are worth exploring and the faith that exploration has intrinsic value.

When you limit all explanations to certain criteria and use that as the sole basis for explanations, the answer has to be yes. The problem is the criteria used. Why should we assume no creation?
People are free to assume creation if they wish, and there are plenty of creationists out there - so where are their contributions to the body of scientific knowledge?

Why should we assume some nothing happened to contain fields and laws like we know?
I've already explained that the existence of those fields alone is what those hypotheses mean by 'nothing'. If you want to explore some other hypothesis, you're welcome to - and you won't be alone, plenty of other physicists are exploring alternative ideas.

There is NO independent lines of evidence, there is in the grid assumptions. I sometimes call this fishbowl philosophy....rather than knowledge or science.
You have no idea...

When we limit what is called reasonable to a godless set of dreams and beliefs, that actually is not rational.
Feel free to point out some rational and reasonable scientific discoveries based on dreams and beliefs of god(s). Seems to me that the scientific knowledge discovered by even the most religious practitioners is based on godless precepts - but perhaps you know different?

On earth, I suspect nature in the past was different. After the flood, about 4400 years ago in the days of Peleg I suspect the change happened. Lifespans, plant growth rates, thermodynamics, biological evolution and genetics, etc.
Based on what evidence of change?

The most likely always has to conform to the set of beliefs they use.
It obviously has to be consistent with the assumptions and observations made. But you're wrong if you think the assumptions are always the same - experience has shown that some kinds of assumptions are more productive than others.

Reactions: Tayla
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
When Jesus is in men, He changes things from the inside. That is the test, that is experienced from the inside out. It is not a test designed to be seen from the outside. However, over time, usually we would hope that a changed life from the inside, would start to be visible on the outside also.
:doh: Reminds me of the monks at school - ask them a direct question on religious matters and you'd get an evasive, opaque, obfuscatory, non-answer in response.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The CMB signal is consistent with what was expected from the theory developed from prior observations - it was predicted in advance of its detection. It is consistent with the basic laws of physics having applied since the big bang. Other observations of the universe are also consistent with those laws applying as far back as we can see.
I know. It is also consistent with a lot of other things. Creation for example.
Maybe you'd like to point out some inconsistencies? Your misgivings are groundless without some clear contradictions or inconsistencies in those observations.
All observations are in the grid of the solar system where time exists. Therefore all we can see is the waves operating a certain way here.
Onde_cisaillement_impulsion_1d_30_petit.gif
Imagine light coming in from outside this grid from a star. It enters our area where time exists, and then starts to behave accordingly.

There must always be some assumptions, and scientific consensus has it that divine creation is an ill-defined dead end. People who think otherwise are welcome to pursue it, but most are curious to know what we get if we apply the fundamental physical laws that we know.
When we limit our understanding to laws that we know, that assumes that nothing else exists or existed. That seems to be defining the universe from ignorance.
There are some people who are exploring how universes or metaverses with different physical laws could give rise to a universe of universes like ours, but they have to make some basic assumptions; you have to start somewhere.
That is what needs to be looked at, and not really anything else...the assumptions. The bible says men will be ever learning...but unable to find out the truth. They cannot come to any knowledge of reality and creation no matter what they do, they are hooped. Using fishbowl/grid realities to model other universes is actually foolish.

We know they're speculative hypotheses because we know our physical models are incomplete; so there's no question of belief or faith - except the belief that such things are worth exploring and the faith that exploration has intrinsic value.

Physical models are like comic book models. They can only take one so far, and the results may seem impressive, but should not be confused with reality.
People are free to assume creation if they wish, and there are plenty of creationists out there - so where are their contributions to the body of scientific knowledge?

What are anyone's? Knowledge has nothing to do with standard models of the universe, or the far past nature of earth. Knowledge might make a better bridge over a river, or a better computer or plane or rocket. Christians had their share in all that actual knowledge. The issue is so called science that fabricates stories of creation and origins.
I've already explained that the existence of those fields alone is what those hypotheses mean by 'nothing'. If you want to explore some other hypothesis, you're welcome to - and you won't be alone, plenty of other physicists are exploring alternative ideas.
OK, so in the great imagined nothing that the universe popped out of, we had fields. Since we cannot say there even would be fields there at the time of 'nothing' I guess it popped out of 'less than nothing'!!!!!

Feel free to point out some rational and reasonable scientific discoveries based on dreams and beliefs of god(s). Seems to me that the scientific knowledge discovered by even the most religious practitioners is based on godless precepts - but perhaps you know different?
There is no rule that man was supposed to be little gods, knowing more than God! That was the devil's idea. Our job is to believe in Jesus. The wonders of it all will be revealed in good time...far far far far far far far far beyond the little temporary physical only fishbowl realities of modern so called science. God knows everything! He is the way to go to actually find out. To come to any actual knowledge of truth, He must be front and center...no other way.
Based on what evidence of change?
Based on the evidence of the historical and Scriptural record of the ancient world. Also considering the fact science doesn't know either way.

It obviously has to be consistent with the assumptions and observations made. But you're wrong if you think the assumptions are always the same - experience has shown that some kinds of assumptions are more productive than others.
That is all in house/in grid/in fishbowl assumptions you are talking about. Some naturally may work better than others, but NONE really work for the greater/higher realities of creation and the past and future.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:doh: Reminds me of the monks at school - ask them a direct question on religious matters and you'd get an evasive, opaque, obfuscatory, non-answer in response.
In the test tube of my life, I have seen some changes. Inner peace, and wisdom, and miracles and love and understanding, and provision, etc etc. There is no more question it works than if I grabbed a live wire and got a shock. You could argue that it may look like a false shock to you, outside. But I dare you to really grab that Wire.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
... I dare you to really grab that Wire.
I spent 15 years chewing that wire; it never even tingled.

But on the other hand, the mind can play tricks and fool you into thinking something has happened when it hasn't - like phantom vibration syndrome ;)

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Could be - maybe I should have tried Hinduism, or Shinto...
No, what I mean is that to get the power wire, we need to be serious. I don't know your situation, but let's say someone came to Jesus saying they wanted to follow, and we're told to forsake something they did not intend to let go of. I think they would be at a pause in the road till they took care of that thing, like it or not. IF THEY SAT THERE FOR YEARS POUTING that God was not doing His part..it might sound convincing to some.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
No, what I mean is that to get the power wire, we need to be serious. I don't know your situation, but let's say someone came to Jesus saying they wanted to follow, and we're told to forsake something they did not intend to let go of. I think they would be at a pause in the road till they took care of that thing, like it or not. IF THEY SAT THERE FOR YEARS POUTING that God was not doing His part..it might sound convincing to some.
What, for example, might one be expected to 'forsake' (and why the archaic language) ?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What, for example, might one be expected to 'forsake' (and why the archaic language) ?
Ha. Well, I don't want to accuse you of anything, so have tried to talk in generalities. One example of a guy who was unable to progress very far and get some joy and results was this guy in the bible..

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

There may be a mom, for example who is called to love and look after her child. But she might run off and do something else, and so never really be able to get that joy and connection to God she would otherwise have had. There are things in all our lives we may be tempted to hold above God. Since we know His promises are true, when there is some distortion of a connection with Him, there must be some reason.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe Dad is going to forsake all worldly desires, and join a monastery.
Ah, my good friend Les. Hi. The idea was not perfection, the idea was that to get a clear channel and connection and results like peace and joy and faith...we need to mean business.

Upvote 0