Science claims universe came from nothing at all!

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Ha. Well, I don't want to accuse you of anything, so have tried to talk in generalities. One example of a guy who was unable to progress very far and get some joy and results was this guy in the bible..

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

There may be a mom, for example who is called to love and look after her child. But she might run off and do something else, and so never really be able to get that joy and connection to God she would otherwise have had. There are things in all our lives we may be tempted to hold above God. Since we know His promises are true, when there is some distortion of a connection with Him, there must be some reason.
Well frankly, I don't know any Christians who have sold up what they hadst, great possessions or not; nor, for that matter, that kept all the commandments. In the days when it was my concern, I had very few possessions anyway.

But I eventually found peace and joy in the absence of faith.

So, yeah, but no.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well frankly, I don't know any Christians who have sold up what they hadst, great possessions or not; nor, for that matter, that kept all the commandments. In the days when it was my concern, I had very few possessions anyway.

But I eventually found peace and joy in the absence of faith.

So, yeah, but no.
I think that the guy needed to be willing. Put God first. Like Abraham was willing to kill his son. Not that he would have to do it.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,542.00
Faith
Atheist
I think that the guy needed to be willing. Put God first. Like Abraham was willing to kill his son. Not that he would have to do it.
I was willing - for a while. There came a point when I shrugged and went on with life. Again, I saw few of those of my contemporaries who became believers making any particular effort to 'put God first' - most just swallowed what they were told without question or apparent curiosity.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"People have wrestled with the mystery of why the universe exists for thousands of years..

However, in recent years a few physicists and cosmologists have started to tackle it.

Their admittedly controversial answer is that the entire universe, from the fireball of the Big Bang to the star-studded cosmos we now inhabit, popped into existence from nothing at all. It had to happen, they say, because "nothing" is inherently unstable.

Why is there something rather than nothing?

What foolishness.

You need to read more.

https://www.amazon.com/Universe-Nothing-There-Something-Rather/dp/1451624468

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was willing - for a while. There came a point when I shrugged and went on with life. Again, I saw few of those of my contemporaries who became believers making any particular effort to 'put God first' - most just swallowed what they were told without question or apparent curiosity.

I would suggest that reading the word of God is what helps us grow in faith. Listening to good music also is good. If we stick a young plant in a pot and it gets no water, then no matter how good a seed it started with, it doesn't do well. In the case of people who got saved, I believe in once saved always saved. So sometimes later in life that little ember of faith gets lit again.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From your link..

" new theories that demonstrate not only can something arise from nothing, something will always arise from nothing. "

And, from wiki, some comments on that book..

"
Commenting on the philosophical debate sparked by the book, the physicist Sean M. Carroll asked, "Do advances in modern physics and cosmology help us address these underlying questions, of why there is something called the universe at all, and why there are things called 'the laws of physics,' and why those laws seem to take the form of quantum mechanics, and why some particular wave function and Hamiltonian? In a word: no. I don't see how they could."[8]

The physicist George F. R. Ellis, when asked whether Krauss has "solved the mystery of why there is something rather than nothing", noted that the "belief that all of reality can be fully comprehended in terms of physics and the equations of physics is a fantasy ... Krauss does not address why the laws of physics exist, why they have the form they have, or in what kind of manifestation they existed before the universe existed (which he must believe if he believes they brought the universe into existence)."[9]

The mathematical physicist I. S. Kohli also analyzed the main technical arguments in Krauss' book, concluding that "many of the claims are not supported in full by modern general relativity theory or quantum field theory in curved spacetime".

There...I read more.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
By asking 'where' infinity is you are showing that you do not understand the concept. Also, please provide your evidence for stating without reservation that the universe is finite.

Common sense. Infinite past is impossible, otherwise we could never get here.
Same with infinite future. Same with infinite anything.
There is a theoretical infinite, never a physical one.
Time had a beginning and will end
Matter had a beginning and will end
Energy had a beginning and will end.

Where does that leave God? Outside space, time and matter, as the creator.
Eternal and unchanging, all-powerful.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,542.00
Faith
Atheist
I would suggest that reading the word of God is what helps us grow in faith.
I was brought up Christian and educated in an abbey school; no shortage of bible reading and 'religious instruction' there. I guess some of us simply find it impossible to believe in such undemonstrable fantasy, particularly when reasonable questions to the supposedly knowing are answered with evasive hand-waving and opaque platitudes.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Common sense.
Common sense is a poor guide to areas outside everyday experience (and often misleading within them). Every major advance in science was contrary to the common sense of the day, yet was demonstrably a better model of the world than what preceded it.

• Agree
Reactions: Tayla
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was brought up Christian and educated in an abbey school; no shortage of bible reading and 'religious instruction' there. I guess some of us simply find it impossible to believe in such undemonstrable fantasy, particularly when reasonable questions to the supposedly knowing are answered with evasive hand-waving and opaque platitudes.
I would think Scripture is what is knowing. Not abbyspeak. From what I hear many people under the care of the religious organizations suffered from cruel and evil hypocrisy and abuse of various kinds. The boring stream of supposed wisdom from teachings in those places, that is thrust on people sometimes against their wishes, is little more than cruel and unusual punishment. Jesus told the religious people that He knew that they did not have 'the love of God in them'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
From your link..

" new theories that demonstrate not only can something arise from nothing, something will always arise from nothing. "

And, from wiki, some comments on that book..

"
Commenting on the philosophical debate sparked by the book, the physicist Sean M. Carroll asked, "Do advances in modern physics and cosmology help us address these underlying questions, of why there is something called the universe at all, and why there are things called 'the laws of physics,' and why those laws seem to take the form of quantum mechanics, and why some particular wave function and Hamiltonian? In a word: no. I don't see how they could."[8]

The physicist George F. R. Ellis, when asked whether Krauss has "solved the mystery of why there is something rather than nothing", noted that the "belief that all of reality can be fully comprehended in terms of physics and the equations of physics is a fantasy ... Krauss does not address why the laws of physics exist, why they have the form they have, or in what kind of manifestation they existed before the universe existed (which he must believe if he believes they brought the universe into existence)."[9]

The mathematical physicist I. S. Kohli also analyzed the main technical arguments in Krauss' book, concluding that "many of the claims are not supported in full by modern general relativity theory or quantum field theory in curved spacetime".

There...I read more.

Wow. You don't even bother reading it before you dismiss it. And you decide that since the issue has not been fully explained by science, it's not worth knowing about. I at least have actually read the Bible, you can't even be bothered to do anything except make excuses why you shouldn't read it.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow. You don't even bother reading it before you dismiss it. And you decide that since the issue has not been fully explained by science, it's not worth knowing about. I at least have actually read the Bible, you can't even be bothered to do anything except make excuses why you shouldn't read it.
Explain to us in your own words how there was nothing yet time and physics existed, and out popped the universe then. Ha.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Explain to us in your own words how there was nothing yet time and physics existed, and out popped the universe then. Ha.

No.

Because my ability to explain something is not how to determine truth. Why don't you just admit that you have no idea how science works?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No.

Because my ability to explain something is not how to determine truth.
Your inability to explain what you defend blindly helps us know that trying to debate it with you is about as fruitful as asking a cow to fix the lawnmower.
Why don't you just admit that you have no idea how science works?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why don't you just admit that you have no idea how science works?

That's another irony meter gone bust, thanks to Dad. Reading his posts on here is really getting a bit expensive. After all, irony meters don't come cheap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's another irony meter gone bust, thanks to Dad. Reading his posts on here is really getting a bit expensive. After all, irony meters don't come cheap.
She had, as you do, every opportunity to explain how the universe came from nothing. You have the extra opportunity of explaining how you think you know time exists in the far universe. Hoo ha

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
She had, as you do, every opportunity to explain how the universe came from nothing. You have the extra opportunity of explaining how you think you know time exists in the far universe. Hoo ha
I think a more interesting title would be, "Dad claims to understand science!"

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think a more interesting title would be, "Dad claims to understand science!"
I understand enough to know that they do not understand. Kylie at least should try to post her little conceptions of how she thinks the universe came from Nothing. For you, well you best just continue to snipe a little and try to sound like you secretly know something.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Ah, so we are back to not knowing that time exists in deep space, days after you were forced into admitting that it did exist. Ho hum.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I understand enough to know that they do not understand. Kylie at least should try to post her little conceptions of how she thinks the universe came from Nothing. For you, well you best just continue to snipe a little and try to sound like you secretly know something.

My big toe knows more about science than you do, Dad.

Upvote 0