Scapula (shoulder balde) Problems

oneiric

redeemed
Jun 27, 2003
✟15,732.00
Faith
Christian
Since I was about 12, I noticed that I could stick out my shoulder blades really far. The problem still hasn't gone away. It doesn't hurt though. But, I find myself having to continually stick them real quick just to feel better. I don't know. It's weird. But is there anyone specialized in this that could help me? Thanks.

great

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟290.00
Faith
Christian
He showed me how to do exercises to improve my posture, thereby improving my shoulder blades. Basically I had to strengthen my upper body, chest/neck/shoulder area. Kind of interesting how it works. His name is George Anderson and his office is in Renton, Washington, if you happen to live near there. He is an incredibly nice man, and a good doctor.

Upvote 0

great

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟290.00
Faith
Christian
Well I can describe to you what he had me do. I don't know it'd work for you, though.

Lay on your back. Hold a soup can in each hand. Lift the cans so that they are straight up in the air, perpendicular to the floor. Then use your shoulders to push them up higher, hold for a few seconds, and then come back down - meaning, your shoulders come back down, not the soup cans. Repeat.

Another thing: Stand in a corner with your back STRAIGHT and your head up. Your hips should be pressing into the corner - not hard, just touching. Take both your arms; bend them at the elbow so that your fingers are pointed toward the ceiling, and your forearm and bicep make a right angle. Move each arm to it's respective wall (since you're standing in a corner). With your elbows and the back of your wrists touching the wall, slide your arms upward and down. Repeat. This one was surprisingly tiring for me!

Again, I don't know if this would work for you. The reason he had me do this stuff was to improve my posture which would THEN improve my shoulder blades. In other words, what I had thought good posture was wrong - the position of my head, neck, shoulders - everything. So even when I made an effort to stand up straight, I looked either like an army officer or a giraffe.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Upvote 0

Acceptance

sugar and spice
Sep 7, 2003
Chicago suburbs
Visit site
✟1,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, I am a physical therapist, and what Great said is true. Although I had a bit of difficulty understanding the second exercise he suggested, the first one is a very common scapular strengthening exercise (it works your serratus anterior muscle). The other thing I would suggest is: work on pushing heavy objects (or pushing against the wall with arms at shoulder height in front of you and elbows straight) but focus on keeping your scapula's down (retracted). Once you start to feel them 'pop out' (protract) ease up just enough to retract them again and maintain that level of pressure for a 10 count, then rest and repeat 10-15 times, 3 times/day.

Other scapula strengtheners include: laying on your stomach on a firm surface (sturdy table, bed is okay but not really ideal) with one shoulder sticking out over the edge so your arm can dangle toward the ground, and with the same soup can (or 1-3 lb. weight) in hand, perform the following movements. Keeping your elbow straight, slowly bring your arm up so it is parallel to your body, then continue to bring it up a bit more as far as you can go. [an attempt to better describe] --> Bring it up out to your side (as if you're trying to make your body a 't' shape), a low position (as if you were walking and naturally swinging your arm back), and a high position (almost up next to your ear, but out to the side on a diagonal a bit) Repeat 10 times in each position, 3x/day.

Upvote 0

Acceptance

sugar and spice
Sep 7, 2003
Chicago suburbs
Visit site
✟1,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Job24 is right, you should of course seek your doctors opinion prior to starting exercises (as is the disclaimer on all fitness machines). But, because of the way you phrased your problem,
Since I was about 12
I'm assuming you're older now and this has been the state of your scapula for quite some time (a chronic problem). Thus you beginning a mild shoulder strengthening program will likely be no more risky than living an active life as a teenager. But yes, I agree with Job24, especially if it causes you pain - get it looked at. And if money is a problem, you can go to a free clinic; you might have to wait longer, but it will be free none the less.

Upvote 0