30 year old woman dies from blood clots because doctors ignore her symptoms.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I was going to post this in the News and Current events section but since the story i have is mostly about me and only contains a few comments about what happened to the woman in the news article i decided to post it here. Anyway, I decided to post about this story because it reminds me of what happened to me two years ago the day after our dog passed away. I've shared this story on CF before both while it was happening and about a year later but i want to post it again because it truly is a remarkable story. Anyway, my dog had passed away 2 nights before in the very middle of the night and my doctor discovered that I had edema in my right leg and wanted to check out my heart and ordered an echocardiogram.

A few days later I got the test done, went home and about a few hours later I heard the results. I was shocked and didn't believe it, they told me that they were pretty sure that there was a giant blood clot in my heart and they needed me to schedule more tests asap. The next day was when my dog passed away and we had to bury him in the snow because the ground was too hard to give him a proper Burial as it was the last day of Janurary at the time.

The very next day on Feb 1st I went to the hospital for more tests and they found that not only did my heart have a blood clot nearly the size of a baseball in it but that I also had a pulmonary embolism in both of my lungs and a giant DVT in my right leg which is the leg where my doctor discovered the edema. My wife and I were told to go the ER right away.

The ER later admitted me to the hospital that night and the next day they took more pictures of my heart. Then the doctor came in with even worse news. It turned out that there was a hole in my heart that doctors never knew about that's been there since birth (and is still there I never got surgery for it) and the blood clot was trying to move through the hole into the other side which the doctor said was very dangerous because if it got on the other side because it likely would lead to a stroke and more than likely, death. So i needed to have open heart surgery to remove the blood clot as soon as possible and our hospital was too small to deal with such an urgent medical problem plus we lacked the surgeons to actually do the surgery.

So that night I took the ambulance to a giant hospital in New Hampshire where they were going to do the surgery. My surgery was scheduled for the next day because by the time I got to New Hampshire it was already morning and they had no surgeons who could do the surgery that day. So they put me under the next day and were going to do the surgery and this is where the story gets to be unbelievable but I swear it's true. When I woke up from the anesthesia there was a nurse in my room and I asked her how the surgery went. I had automatically assumed I was fine because well, I woke up and she gave me truly shocking news that mafe my jaw drop. I'll make it as short as possible but basically she said that the surgeons couldn't find the blood clot in my heart. They apparently had looked everywhere and checked my brain first since it was the most logical place it could have went it wasn't there. So they checked everywhere else and had to admit defeat. The blood clot was supernaturally gone and there was no scientific explanation as to where the blood clot went. It was just gone. I've since recovered from all of my blood clots they have all dissolved and obviously being in such a serious situation I'm still here today which to me provides definitive proof that the doctors were right and the blood clot in my heart just mysteriously disappeared.

Im sorry i included a story about myself and its truly sad that this woman with lesser symptoms than me passed away all because doctors ignored her symptoms. Had my doctor not decided to investigate my heart and had not the grace and divine healing of God not been placed upon me, I wouldn't be here either. And it makes me very grateful to God and very grateful to the doctors for quickly diagnosing what was wrong with me and trying to get me the help i needed to save my life. I truly hope that this woman's family sues the doctors who ignored her symptoms and ultimately caused her death. Not every blood clot story ends positively like mine and its just sad just how many people die from blood clots every year and just how silent of a killer they are. Because when I had blood clots everywhere I had no symptoms at all and had my doctor not investigated another problem I 100% would not be here today either, the blood clots would have definitely killed me. But I like this story because it not only cements my faith in God but it proves that God still heals and his plan is still present and active in the world today.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Shame what happened to this lady.

Your story is quite inspirational though.

Thank you and yeah it's a shame what happened to her. I really hope her family sues the doctors who ignored her symptoms. Just completely horrible.

But yeah my doctor at the time couldn't believe how lucky I was to have survived that and was very grateful that he had thought to check my heart because if he didn't I 100% would have died. There would have been 0 chance for survival because my clots had absolutely no symptoms. I literally had clots everywhere but in the most dangerous spot and it likely would have gone to my brain if I had not received treatment.

A cardiologist that I saw about 6 months after I came home from New Hampshire asked if I suffered a stroke because of the clot in my heart alone and I said "no" and he was like "a vast majority of patients that I've had over the last 30 years that had a clot in their heart the size of yours, suffered strokes as a result of them and many of them died." He said I was very,very lucky to not only escape with my life but that I had suffered no stroke at all. It's basically as if the blood clot was never there.

And on top of that, my other blood clots could have went into very dangerous places as well this woman suffered from a PE in one lung and died because PEs are VERY dangerous, i had them in both of my lungs and i likely had the clot in my leg for at least a month. I mean when my family heard about how many clots I had and the size of the one in my heart they expected that I likely wouldn't have left New Hampshire except in a body bag. It's a medical mystery what happened to me because I should have died or at the very least have gotten open heart surgery to remove the most dangerous clot and survived that surgery and then need to be in the hospital for several weeks. I was in New Hampshire for about a week and a half and i was in the ICU for about a week. I should have been in the ICU for weeks.

Doctors weren't concerned about the other clots because they were going to dissolve over time they found them in time before they did anything super dangerous but the one in my heart should have put me on deaths door and yet, I'm alive. Just... unbelievable and quite a remarkable story that God continues to heal even today. Just... I don't know. When it happened I thought the nurse was joking and when I told my wife she didn't believe it either. She immediately emailed our Elder because he also recognized the graveness of my situation and even he couldn't believe it. He ended up dedicating virtually an entire sermon about me and about how God continues to heal people even to this day while I was in the hospital and I wish I could have seen it. The story is absolutely unbelievable but, happened. He has checked up on me a lot during the last two years wondering about how my health is doing and aside from being morbidly obese and having difficulty walking and moving around (the only damage still left over from my ordeal), there's nothing medically wrong with me. As far as I know anyway, maybe there will be another silent killer. I really hope not because the beginning to 2022 was traumatizing enough lol.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
they told me that they were pretty sure that there was a giant blood clot in my heart and they needed me to schedule more tests asap.
They should have been able to do an ultrasound. I had an abrasion and the doctor found a blood clot so they put me on blood thinner and that got rid of the blood clot.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
They should have been able to do an ultrasound. I had an abrasion and the doctor found a blood clot so they put me on blood thinner and that got rid of the blood clot.

Yeah they used one to try to find it before they went to cut me open and they couldn't find it anywhere. That morning it was still there but when it came time to do the surgery at about 1 in the afternoon the clot was gone and they were dumbfounded because a clot that large doesn't dissolve in a less than 6 hour timeframe.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
clot that large doesn't dissolve in a less than 6 hour timeframe.
About 3% of the time miracles happen and they call them spontaneous remission,
which in and of itself means nothing other than it went away.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
They stated they never seen anything like it and they were a very large hospital equipped to handle any medical situation. I loved how they were basically like "this just cannot be explained". They kept me for an extra week to make 100% sure I was ok and then released me.

I also just got tested for blood clots yesterday morning when i spent about 6 hours in the ER. All clots are gone and have never returned in close to 3 years. The PEs i had in my lungs did a lot of damage to my lungs but otherwise i'm ok.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah they used one to try to find it before they went to cut me open and they couldn't find it anywhere. That morning it was still there but when it came time to do the surgery at about 1 in the afternoon the clot was gone and they were dumbfounded because a clot that large doesn't dissolve in a less than 6 hour timeframe.
As a general rule people just accept whatever the test results are.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had the opposite experience. My leg got banged up in a car accident. And while I didn't think there was any serious damage, I decided to go over to the clinic to get it looked at. A PA examined it and told me to go straight to the ER for an ultrasound to check for blood clots. Which I thought was unnecessary. And I was a bit annoyed over the whole affair when they found that my leg was fine.

But I think it's better for a doctor or PA to over react rather than be dismissive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums