Country
China
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upon His Shoulder

(By: Deborah Durrett

God sent the world His Son, so we could better know God-in a way we could understand better-flesh and blood. Yet at the same time, Jesus - as the incarnate representation of God - wore many hats with the help of the third member of the trinity, the Holy Spirit. I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father wanting to connect to his children, so much that He made a way for us to know him intimately. He put the hope of humanity on Christ Jesus’ shoulder.

“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6 ASV

Big plans call for big numbers. Clearly, the diversity and numbers of people that have inhabited the earth over time makes it necessary at some point to enlist intermediaries and people in various positions of leadership, along with the quiet strength of those working behind the scenes to forge order, to accomplish God’s goals. Without such leadership, chaos and turmoil create further hardship and weaken group efforts. This is not simply an opinion, but clearly shown in history, in some very tumultuous eras of living in many centuries all around the world. God saw the need for authority given on the human level and made provision for it. He wants to help us. We need to remember that nothing is unknown or unseen by Him, either. He knows human tendencies.

“But what can one man do to settle all your quarrels and problems? So choose some men from each tribe who are wise, experienced, and understanding, and I will appoint them as our leaders. They agreed to this; I took the men they selected, some from every tribe, and appointed them as administrative assistants in charge of thousands, hundreds, fifties, tens to decide their quarrels and assist them in every way. I instructed them to be perfectly fair at all times, including to foreigners. When giving your decisions, I told them, never favor a man because he is rich; be fair to great and small alike. Do not fear their displeasure, for you are judging in the place of God. Bring me any cases too difficult for you, and I will handle them. And I gave them other instructions at that time also.” Deuteronomy 1:13-17 TLB

Jesus spent time teaching-even as a child in the Temple (Luke 21:37-38), working as a carpenter with Joseph (Matthew 13:55), healing the sick (Luke 17:12-19), encouraging children (Matthew 19:13-14)-showing the love of God in the community. These examples through the Son are indicative to me of a Father that wants us to understand He wants to be part of our lives, and not a tyrant simply ruling over us for his own pleasure. God wants us to be part of the pleasure He can provide in our lives as we take part in fulfilling His plan. Jesus leads the way, showing us how to walk out God’s plan-should we choose to follow.

“God placed all things under Messiah’s feet and appointed Him as head over all things for His community- which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.” Ephesians 1:22-23 TLV

While in the flesh, it can be an enormous challenge not getting caught up in pain. I know that some pain is about growth and healing, but other pain is just a side effect of living - misunderstandings, saying dumb things, accidents out of our control, and general aging, to name a few. Whenever possible, I press into most pain - knowing it is temporary and what can hurt my body cannot touch my mind and soul. I do not have to be defined by what others may try or even succeed at doing to me. I can learn about myself and others, and focus on what is ahead of me-fulfilling my purpose to the best of my ability and at some point, joining my Heavenly Father in eternity. The battle of the mind is inevitable, but true success comes from knowing who the creator of my soul is, the only true decider of my fate beyond this body.

“And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the one who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna. Matthew 10:28 TLV

He is worthy. He is strong enough. If He took our punishment and the Father authorized it, then what makes us think that corruption at any level is not known and not subject to His correction? God put it on the shoulder of Jesus, to show the way and make known to us that God’s love is real, and His plan is perfect. When I try to do everything on my own, in my own strength-I am reminded of the reason for His authority along with other authority he put into motion so long ago. No, human authority is not perfect. It is often full of glaring flaws. God knows that. But our trust is to be in the long-term aspect of His plan, while we are here doing our short-term fragment of the thread weaving it all together.

“He himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live for righteousness. ‘By his, wounds you have been healed.’” 1 Peter 2:24, ESV

“Submit yourselves to [the authority of] every human institution for the sake of the Lord [to honor His name], whether it is to a king as one in a position of power, or to governors as sent by him to bring punishment to those who do wrong, and to praise and encourage those who do right.” 1 Peter 2:13-14 AMP

“Obey the government, for God is the one who put it in there. There is no government anywhere God has not placed in power. So those who refused to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow.” Romans 13:1-2 TLB

When I was a young girl of perhaps Kindergarten or early elementary school, I can recall an occasion or two that I got to ride up on my Dad’s shoulders. While the specifics of the moments are not clear, I do recall the main reason was so I could see something-likely in a crowd-that otherwise I was unable to see with my small stature. I do remember such a feeling of power, towering over everything with my Dad with him six feet tall. By myself, I was probably between three and four feet tall, but I felt like I was bigger than life, up there with him. God wants us to feel that joy in living life with Him-as extensions of His strength, His faithfulness, and even His sorrow (death of Jesus) leading to joy in the morning (His Son rising again, as we can through repentance and belief in the author and finisher of our faith). His magnificence is available to those who want to follow Him. He shoulders the responsibility, yet we can go with Him-He will carry us. I am living proof.

(D. Durrett 1/28/24)