Tamaqua
✟13,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Normally, I've been listening to Christian music, with the exception of a few secular oldies songs like Lean On Me that I know are good. Just last night, I had a slip-up. I haven't found any Christian heavy metal bands that sound like Lacuna Coil, Delain, or Within Temptation yet, but some of the songs from those bands I used to listen to popped into my head. Last night, I looked up the lyrics of those songs to see how bad they were and I did not hear any cusses, hear anything sexual, hear anything violence, hear anything about drugs, or hear about any other sins (that I know of) and I didn't hear them glorifying Satan at all. I remember the first verse of Breakdown by Lacuna Coil said something about being numb to whatever pain they were feeling and no longer hurting. Then, the chorus said, "it's not too late to take control I embrace the pain that breaks me down". The other lyrics to the other songs I looked up just talked about their failed relationships and their pain they felt trapped in. Yes, I admit that song and the others I liked were a little dark because they're metal, but I didn't think those lyrics were really that bad, unless maybe I'm missing something or don't understand what those lyrics mean. Anyway, I thought I won't listen to those songs all the time, but maybe it'll be alright, if I listen to them once in a while, since I don't think the lyrics are that bad. Well, Breakdown by Lacuna Coil was the first song I listened to. I only listened to it for a little bit because as soon as I turned it on, I didn't enjoy it like I used to and I just felt really scared. I felt as if I was a kid and my parents told me not to do something and didn't say why, but I wanted to see for myself what would happen, if I did it and as I was doing it, I got scared because I didn't want them to find out, but I knew they would, except I know God knows what I do. I'm confused because I did ask God for forgiveness for listening to that song a little bit just in case and I put my Christian music back on, but I don't know, if my feeling scared was God convicting me and telling me I shouldn't listen to those metal songs because they're bad even though I don't hear anything bad in them or if it's just me being scared of making God angry and putting too much pressure on myself to be perfect? What do you guys think? All thoughts are welcome. I apologize, if I put this in the wrong topic, I know questions should go in the Request for Advice topic, but the issue is I did actually have a testimony and that's why I put it in this topic.

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Been there! Not judging your situation, but offering myself as an example of the potential danger of one little compromise back to secular music...

First it was the 'harmless' rock. Then over time a little heavier. Then back to full-blown metal. Ultimately all I was listening to was secular again. Not so coincidentally, for this and other reasons, also quit going to church, reading my Bible, and praying only when I needed something. My worldview became darkened again. No wonder that the mental food I was dining on eventually led me back to sin in other areas. Years of pain and loss ensued - all due to one little compromise at a time - the enemy's favorite tactic.

Thankfully, God drew me back to fellowship, re-affirmed my identity in Him, removed strongholds and cleaned me up. Top of the list was throwing out ALL the old secular music. My mind has been clean, my walk is sweet, and I'll NEVER compromise again!

The kicker? I actually asked a brother way back when if he thought Christians could listen to secular music. He graciously replied, "Well I know I couldn't". MAN, I wish I had listened to him. I figure that was the Holy Spirit's attempt to intervene since I wasn't listening.

So from a guy with the scars to testify, I highly encourage you to ask the Spirit to confirm His nudging. I commend you for being sensitive to His voice. It could save you a world of hurt, friend.

God bless!

Reactions: Nmeckert
Upvote 0

Nmeckert

Mar 5, 2024
Tamaqua
✟13,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Been there! Not judging your situation, but offering myself as an example of the potential danger of one little compromise back to secular music...

First it was the 'harmless' rock. Then over time a little heavier. Then back to full-blown metal. Ultimately all I was listening to was secular again. Not so coincidentally, for this and other reasons, also quit going to church, reading my Bible, and praying only when I needed something. My worldview became darkened again. No wonder that the mental food I was dining on eventually led me back to sin in other areas. Years of pain and loss ensued - all due to one little compromise at a time - the enemy's favorite tactic.

Thankfully, God drew me back to fellowship, re-affirmed my identity in Him, removed strongholds and cleaned me up. Top of the list was throwing out ALL the old secular music. My mind has been clean, my walk is sweet, and I'll NEVER compromise again!

The kicker? I actually asked a brother way back when if he thought Christians could listen to secular music. He graciously replied, "Well I know I couldn't". MAN, I wish I had listened to him. I figure that was the Holy Spirit's attempt to intervene since I wasn't listening.

So from a guy with the scars to testify, I highly encourage you to ask the Spirit to confirm His nudging. I commend you for being sensitive to His voice. It could save you a world of hurt, friend.

God bless!
Thank you for your advice and your testimony and don't worry, I did not think you were judging my situation, I know you weren't. I never thought that one compromise like listening to one secular song could lead you back to living in sin, but I will definitely keep that in mind, now. I will also do like you said and keep asking the Spirit to confirm his nudge and always go to him when I'm not sure of something. I know I certainly don't want to go back to living a sinful life and living in the dark. God bless!

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0