Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

Comparing the light and the darkness, the opposite of E/c2 would be z (absolute zero)/ c (darkness)...

Natural z/d - Nothing, empty space.
Mental z/d - Again nothing but empty space.
Spiritual z/d - z (laziness, coldness, hatred / d (fear, despair, greed, sorrow)

A correct spiritual E/c2 is an important ally to the Christian faith.

"The Blues Had A Baby And They Named It Rock And Roll" - Muddy Waters

Behold the forces of spiritual darkness!

Spiritual z/d - z (laziness, coldness, hatred / d (fear, despair, greed, sorrow)

The blues... Or the despair, or the spiritual darkness. Rock and roll is a child of this and supports Satan's efforts to get us out of the Spirit and into the flesh, darkness, and the things of the devil.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have always been a big fan of rock and metal music. I don't listen to artists like Slayer or Black Sabbath or any band that is anti-God or anti-Christ but I do enjoy groups like Metallica and Alice Cooper. I've never seen a problem with this as the songs I like don't contain anything I would consider blasphamous or offensive. I just wanted to get some Christian opinions on this as I don't have many Christians in my social circle.
Sounds like you have good taste in music.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi Michael
I always liked Alice Cooper since 1975 when the Department of Youth single came out, man, I loved that stuff. I was only a young teen then when "Welcome to my nightmare" album was released.
Missed out on seeing him that year but about 14 years later in '89 he did his Trash tour and went to see him then.

Used to be into the band/party scene back in those days before being saved and nothing much made me afraid but Cooper's gig unnerved my girlfriend and I and we felt a relief driving home. Could not work it out, loved the gig, the songs, the energy, the guy himself but sensed something wrong.

No wonder! Cold Ethyl is a song about nechramancy, (worship of the dead, or talking to the dead, or 'making out with the dead).

"I don't wanna break these chains" was sung in 'poison' as a guy was trapped in a sexual relationship with an aids patient.

Naive Christians, be aware of what we listen to. This is deadly serious.
We are responsible for what we let into our temple, through our five senses. We "chant" those ungodly lyrics and we can let in strongholds. Alice Cooper Aka Vincent Furnier's dad was a LDS minister.

Check out any YouTube videos on 'Alice Cooper on God" and he will never mention our Lord Jesus.

No wonder, the man has demons, remember what Jesus said about " out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks". Cooper will make a joke of it all but at the same time collect millions of dollars with fame whilst dragging unsuspecting naive new converts (if this were possible) to hell with all of his garbage.

Remember dear one, our Lord said this " whoever offends any of His little ones then it would be better for him to have a millstone tied around his neck and cast into the sea."

Be very wise with what you listen to and give your time to as we are approaching that great and terrible day as It draws nearer.

What is your view on Alice Cooper? I find it doesn't make sense he preforms with kesha and marilyn manson, and even was friends with karla lavey a woman who was in a devil cult.

Upvote 0
I have always been a big fan of rock and metal music. I don't listen to artists like Slayer or Black Sabbath or any band that is anti-God or anti-Christ but I do enjoy groups like Metallica and Alice Cooper. I've never seen a problem with this as the songs I like don't contain anything I would consider blasphamous or offensive. I just wanted to get some Christian opinions on this as I don't have many Christians in my social circle.
I like rock music too, but to be frank, rock music is the devil's music. Better be careful, my friends.

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Prove it with Scripture.

He doesn't have to prove anything to you. There's a video on previous page with word for word lyrics that come out of Metallica singer's mouth, which are all one needs to know to decide if that music is "good taste", as you say, or is it something else.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He doesn't have to prove anything to you. There's a video on previous page with word for word lyrics that come out of Metallica singer's mouth, which are all one needs to know to decide if that music is "good taste", as you say, or is it something else.

This is something you can see with all type of music. Even gospel music can be sung with bad/devilish lyrics if the artists decide this, does it mean then that all gospel music becomes music of the devil then? Even in the time during the old testament both pagan as well as God fearing people would play similiar type of music, the only difference between these two were where they put their focus on.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is something you can see with all type of music. Even gospel music can be sung with bad/devilish lyrics if the artists decide this, does it mean then that all gospel music becomes music of the devil then? Even in the time during the old testament both pagan as well as God fearing people would play similiar type of music, the only difference between these two were where they put their focus on.

Have you actually saw the video from previous page? Is there a youtube video of worship song, played in a regular Christian church, with those kind of lyrics?

And, I was not talking about a genre in general or some random band, I was talking about the specific band OP mentioned in first post, the biggest band in it's genre.

Yes, no genre is bad in itself, but the problem is that in commercial setting bands with certain type of messages get big contracts, while others don't. So the result is that most people who listen to certain genre of music actually do listen to some form of anti-Christ music. Not because genre itself is bad, but because what is offered from that genre has to pass a lot of gatekeepers (money people, producers, music labels, etc...) to get media exposure, and those gatekeepers (who are usually motivated with getting and providing fame, fortune and other wordly "riches") set the output.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1. Not all songs that are sung are sincere beliefs.
2. Metallica can at most speak for themselves. Not any other band, let alone an entire genre of music.
3. The chords that one plays speak absolutely nothing to that person's spiritual alignment.

Ergo, that video does nothing to prove his point.

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1. Not all songs that are sung are sincere beliefs.
2. Metallica can at most speak for themselves. Not any other band, let alone an entire genre of music.
3. The chords that one plays speak absolutely nothing to that person's spiritual alignment.

Ergo, that video does nothing to prove his point.

You are not doing yourself any favor with this.

Upvote 0

JohnKing67

Dec 2, 2014
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
✟11,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I don't know. There seems to be plenty of preachers through the years who say that rock music is "the devil's music". I don't see why there can't be rock music with a Christian message though.

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not a musician. I know so little about music that the pastor of my church 10 years ago pulled me aside to test and see if I was tone deaf. But at the seminary where I studied, and in many churches that I visited before going to the mission field, there is the strong belief that music has rules. They hold that rock music breaks those rules making it ungodly. I write this only to express the fact that there are many Christians who disagree with your statement that ¨no form of music of its own self is evil.¨

Christianity is often subject to colonization and culture, and thus you can run into folks who integrate them. Christian's over the ages have held to the following: you can't go to movies, dance, listen to jazz, listen to rock, listen to a pipe organ, use instruments in church, you can't listen to eastern music minor keys are of satan, dim7 chords are evil. Such prohibitions are adding junk to and can easily serve as a distraction from the Gospel.

That being said, some lyrics are far from edifying, some lyrics in the Christian music genre are incredibly errant theology. Discernment in the message presented is really key in all of this. And that does not mean lyrics can't be negative, or even pretty explicit in the right context.

Consider the scriptures, the FCC would hang you out to dry if you played a tune on the radio which included the sexually explicit verses in Ezekiel 23 or Song of Solomon 7. In a similar vein, you will never sell a tune to the prolife crowd if it includes the last verse of Psalm 137.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pilgrim Heir

Feb 10, 2017
Ecuador
✟18,835.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for giving your perspective, but I wonder if you missed my point. It has to do specifically with music theory. Does music have rules? The Christians I previously referred to are not alone in stating the affirmative. Many non-Christians also believe that music has rules. These rules are taught in music theory classes. And this position transcends culture as it has been taught for centuries throughout the world.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I knew an Episcopalian priest who was a good preacher and pastor, one of the most high churchmen I've met among Episcopalians (most I've met were sort of low or broad evangelicals). He played an electric guitar in a rock band as his major hobby. I just could never picture him playing an electric guitar, but maybe that is due to the lack of my imagination.

I've just never personally got into metal, I'm far too sedate and I don't have that kind of energy. I can't say it's wrong, though, for a Christian to listen to that type of music if it appeals to you.

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for giving your perspective, but I wonder if you missed my point. It has to do specifically with music theory. Does music have rules? The Christians I previously referred to are not alone in stating the affirmative. Many non-Christians also believe that music has rules. These rules are taught in music theory classes. And this position transcends culture as it has been taught for centuries throughout the world.

I got exactly what you are saying, but my response was less than clear. My apologies for that.

Music definitely has rules. You have music theory 101 which is the basis for a fair bit of classical music, country western, rock and roll and a good chunk of heavy metal too. The pentatonic scale used in the melody of Amazing Grace is also used in many heavy metal guitar solos. In a similar vein chord progressions used in most metal tunes can be tracked back many centuries in time.

I will also concede that music theory 101 rule breakers do exist, and that such appears more common today, than it was in the music of old. In part, as tunes which break too many rules, generally don't get much of a following, and as such end up not being preserved. Alas, the biggest rule breakers today are not so much in the rock and roll realm, as they are in the modern classical genre. I try to keep an open mind, but some of those compositions are so strange, I find it hard to listen to them.

That being said, culture is also a huge driver of additional conventions (rule sets). Some music uses a totally different tuning structure... which is not compatible with western music theory at all, but it works within a geographically limited demographic. In a similar vein, there are music conventions for commercial success... which is why much contemporary Christian radio hits end up sounding very similar. Rule sets have been developed, and when you have a very risk averse culture like Christian radio, it can be economic suicide to deviate very much from them. There are also genre specific rule sets, such that pop country today is viewed with disdain by many classical country listeners.

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I got exactly what you are saying, but my response was less than clear. My apologies for that.

Music definitely has rules. You have music theory 101 which is the basis for a fair bit of classical music, country western, rock and roll and a good chunk of heavy metal too. The pentatonic scale used in the melody of Amazing Grace is also used in many heavy metal guitar solos. In a similar vein chord progressions used in most metal tunes can be tracked back many centuries in time.

I will also concede that music theory 101 rule breakers do exist, and that such appears more common today, than it was in the music of old. In part, as tunes which break too many rules, generally don't get much of a following, and as such end up not being preserved. Alas, the biggest rule breakers today are not so much in the rock and roll realm, as they are in the modern classical genre. I try to keep an open mind, but some of those compositions are so strange, I find it hard to listen to them.

That being said, culture is also a huge driver of additional conventions (rule sets). Some music uses a totally different tuning structure... which is not compatible with western music theory at all, but it works within a geographically limited demographic. In a similar vein, there are music conventions for commercial success... which is why much contemporary Christian radio hits end up sounding very similar. Rule sets have been developed, and when you have a very risk averse culture like Christian radio, it can be economic suicide to deviate very much from them. There are also genre specific rule sets, such that pop country today is viewed with disdain by many classical country listeners.

You, and others, miss something I think is crucial.

The thing about music you can listen to is not only about music or music rules, but probably more about who gives it to you.

If you take any popular genre, what performers from that genre most people listen to? The ones who are exposed in media. That's how you get to know them - through television, radio, print, concerts. Those who are exposed the most, are known the most, and are listened to the most.

Now, to get exposed there is a chain of decisions that need to be made outside of any perfomer. There are producers, music labels, concert organizers, media people, distributors and other music businessmen. They have money and resources needed to "make it in music" and they choose where to put them, and where not to. To whom to give big contracts, and to whom not to.

So you take any popular genre and it has been filtered. You are not only listening to that genre, but what music and media businessmen think you should. It's a programming of sorts. One can see it, or can be deceived and not see it, or can choose not to see it.

How come there is no big popular performer who performs songs of praise to God and Jesus? Christians are majority in the west, so it makes sense that someone who sings praise to God and Jesus would be a hit. But there is no such perfomer comparable to biggest rock and pop acts.

Couple of reasons for that, but one of the important ones is an agenda of those who invest money and resources to front music to the nation. They just don't want to hear those songs of praise, let alone invest their resources in promoting them.

So, what do we end up getting through those money making genres? A lot of waste. And you don't have to look hard to find it, you start with biggest names in that genre.

Last edited:
Upvote 0