Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
If I opened my front door and saw a Quran on the step I'd immediately get my family out the back way and once we were far enough away, call the bomb squad. Just in case, ya know.

*shudders*

0_o Paranoid much?

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep, "Qur'an" is the accepted transliteration from Arabic.

"Q" is a "K" pronounced further to the back of the throat (put the back of the tongue at the base of the uvula).

The apostrophe is a gutteral sound pronounced a bit deeper in the throat than where the English "H" is pronounced. Think of the glottal stop in the steretypical cockney where a "T" is dropped "Wha' is i'? A ha'.", and make it deeper in the throat.

Two syllables:

Qur - 'an

I believe the stress is on the second syllable.

;)

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
o_O No sense of humor much?

What is so funny about making a connection between the Quran and terrorism? You do realize that the Quran condemns murder right?

“…take not life, which God hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom.”
[Al-Qur’an 6:151]

“…if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people.”
[Al-Qur’an 5:32]

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Accepted by whom? There are several spellings that have been accepted.

It is the accepted scholarly transliteration.

This means it is part of a system by which a person could reconstruct the original Arabic spelling from the English transliteration. And the system is such that a knowledgeable English speaker could produce a pronunciation approximating the standard Arabic just by looking at the transliteration.

Anyway, "Koran" drops an entire letter of the original word (the one represented by the apostrophe in "Qur'an").

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I hate it when people leave Koreans on my doorstep.

They look at me with sad puppy-dog eyes and ask for kimchi.

It breaks my heart when I have to explain that I don't have any kimchi.

:cry:

I haven't had that problem since I put up my Frank-Burns-shaped scarecrow. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Meh, I've been given bibles. I have yet to go into a conniption fit over it. I just toss them away or give them away.

However it's the people who feel the need to wake me up early on a saturday morning to tell me all about how awesome their church is who irritate me. Especially since I told them last week I didn't care.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is so funny about making a connection between the Quran and terrorism? You do realize that the Quran condemns murder right?

“…take not life, which God hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom.”
[Al-Qur’an 6:151]

“…if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people.”
[Al-Qur’an 5:32]
I thought the men believe that if they killed bunch of people during a suicide they would go to heaven get 99 virgin wive or something like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Meh, I've been given bibles. I have yet to go into a conniption fit over it. I just toss them away or give them away.

However it's the people who feel the need to wake me up early on a saturday morning to tell me all about how awesome their church is who irritate me. Especially since I told them last week I didn't care.

I find that answering the door naked tends to keep them from coming back. Especially at this time of year, when I'm still all pale and overweight from the long Canadian winter.

If anyone doubts my word, I can provide pictures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Ah, what was I thinking? :doh:

Of course there is no link between those who pervert the message of Islam and as a result use violence against civilians. Such people don't exist.

I might as well have condemned the girl scouts as terrorists in my non sensical joke and expressed fear of exploding cookies. I am sorely ashamed.

Upvote 0

CGL

Crazy Eight
Jul 4, 2007
Halifax, NS
✟9,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually, it is "Quran" though it is supposed to be rendered "Qur'an"

Qur'an - Wikipedia, the free encclopedia
I always spelled it as "Qu'wrong"
ssst.gif

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thought the men believe that if they killed bunch of people during a suicide they would go to heaven get 99 virgin wive or something like that.

Yes, some Muslim extremists believe that but they are wrong as I showed you what the Quran clearly teaches. It is a major sin to murder.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, some Muslim extremists believe that but they are wrong as I showed you what the Quran clearly teaches. It is a major sin to murder.
So your saying they won't go to heaven and marry 99 wives.So,I guess bummer for them then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So your saying they won't go to heaven and marry 99 wives.So,I guess bummer for them then.

That is exactly what I am saying. I believe they will go to Hell for murdering unless they repent.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And some people do get mad that people leave Christian bibles for people too.
For any religion, I think(IMO) its much better to offer people free bibles on request, rather then leaving them with whole neighborhoods. (Thats how I got my qur'an.
however there are people whose testimony mentipons that they were once given a bible for free without asking and then later have a look through it and become christian. so I would be careful to knock a method that has been used to convert people which is not dangerous or intrusive. Of course if a resident had a no junk mail sign up and a qu'ran or bible was left then I would agree that it shouldn't have been done.

This whole story seems to be a case of lets not give different religions equal treatment which as a christian I disagree with.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How does a Suicide Bomber Repent :confused:
He doesn't want to. He's going to meet 72 virgins.

I've always thought it would be funny if Mohammed "heard" wrong. Instead of virgins, it is Virginians -- Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Carter Braxton, Francis Lightfoot Lee ... etc. ... etc. ... etc.

^_^

Upvote 0