✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,375061,00.html

Some Houston residents are upset after Korans were left on the doorsteps of hundreds of homes in their neighborhood as part of a campaign to educate people about Islam.

By doing thisthey open the quran(mispelled every time in this article), they have to expect the Quaran to be desecrated. Some will throw it in the trash, some will burn it, some might even rip it apart and leave the peices at the Muslim temples.

I have a Quaran, I keep it in a drawer in the kitchen. I requested it from a free sight on the web. These people didn't request one, so they don't have to respect it.

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
By doing thisthey open the quran(mispelled every time in this article), they have to expect the Quaran to be desecrated.
It isn't really a misspelling because there isn't a standardized way to transliterate Arabic using the Latin alphabet. The actual 'q' sound in "Quran" doesn't exist in English except in a few words. Spelling it with a 'k' isn't going to make English speakers pronounce it differently and it would probably stop people from horribly mangling the word and saying something like "Qweran." You could argue that both those spellings are wrong since the 'a' sound is a long one not a short one. This is a distinction that would be easy for English-speakers to hear and reproduce. The best transliteration would probably be Qur'aan.

But that is just pedantic. :wave:

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Big deal. It's actually nice to see a Muslim group actually give out free literature to spread their good news for once. Goes to show that not every Muslim is gonna stand up on your doorstep and try to murder you for the glory of Allah, that there are Muslims out there who actually plan to help Islam actually look more like a religion and less like what the extremists want.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see any reasons for them to be mad.They don't want the book throw it in the trash.They believe their bibles the only true bible and wanted to give every one,so people in the neighborhood can be save or wanted to prove their religion not to a terrorist religion.Anyways why would decent people burn it make seen.They're just as bad if not worse.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Actually, it is "Quran" though it is supposed to be rendered "Qur'an"

Qur'an - Wikipedia, the free encclopedia
Spreading knowledge. I have seen that, so that would probably be right.

My only point on OP was, they(Muslims) are suppose to punish people that
desecrate the Qur'an, some would even threaten to kill for it. And these people are littering peoples yards with them.

And some people do get mad that people leave Christian bibles for people too.
For any religion, I think(IMO) its much better to offer people free bibles on request, rather then leaving them with whole neighborhoods. (Thats how I got my qur'an.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I agree that perhaps this PR move wasn't thought out all that well, but it's still no reason for residents to complain. It's not like they're being left pamphlets every week, or being woken up incessantly on Saturday mornings (I'm looking at you, Mormans).

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My only point on OP was, they(Muslims) are suppose to punish people that
desecrate the Qur'an, some would even threaten to kill for it. And these people are littering peoples yards with them.

And some people do get mad that people leave Christian bibles for people too.
For any religion, I think(IMO) its much better to offer people free bibles on request, rather then leaving them with whole neighborhoods. (Thats how I got my qur'an.
I agree. Most churches (I know there are always exceptions so please don't bludgeon me with them) don't leave Bibles or even tracts behind when no one is home. They might leave behind flyers or pamphlets announcing neighborhood festival events or block parties held at the church, but not literature that some may find offensive. To do so is being a poor witness, implying the people at that home don't know the Lord, or that they should if they don't already (which is true, but people don't like being told that). If the Book of Signs Foundation wants to promote tolerance of Islam, this probably wasn't the best strategy they could have come up with.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

By doing thisthey open the quran(mispelled every time in this article), they have to expect the Quaran to be desecrated. Some will throw it in the trash, some will burn it, some might even rip it apart and leave the peices at the Muslim temples.

I have a Quaran, I keep it in a drawer in the kitchen. I requested it from a free sight on the web. These people didn't request one, so they don't have to respect it.

First of all, you're right about the fact that they are leaving the Holy Quran open to be desecrated. Second of all, Muslims have mosques, not temples. Personally, I think that something should be done to educate people about Muslims but I am not sure that distributing Qurans is the best way to do it.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

By doing thisthey open the quran(mispelled every time in this article), they have to expect the Quaran to be desecrated.
Some will throw it in the trash, some will burn it, some might even rip it apart and leave the peices at the Muslim temples.

First thing I though of was that given the rules for care of the Quaran, how will that jive with just leaving them on doorsteps where more than just a few people will just throw them in the trash.

And I bet even money that some will take the free books to video on Youtube them doing less nice things to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First thing I though of was that given the rules for care of the Quaran, how will that jive with just leaving them on doorsteps where more than just a few people will just throw them in the trash.

And I bet even money that some will take the free books to video on Youtube them doing less nice things to them.

Let us hope not. The Holy Qur'an should not be treated in a manner as that. No book that is sacred to a religion should be treated like that. People need to have respect for other people's religions. I think that the people who set up this Qur'an distribution campaign need to also set up a place or way for the people who don't want the Qur'ans to return them.

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At first glance, I thought this thread was about the distribution of Koreans.

In any case, it's no more or less offensive than the distribution of bibles.

I hate it when people leave Koreans on my doorstep.

They look at me with sad puppy-dog eyes and ask for kimchi.

It breaks my heart when I have to explain that I don't have any kimchi.

:cry:

Reactions: Illuminatus
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hate it when people leave Koreans on my doorstep.

They look at me with sad puppy-dog eyes and ask for kimchi.

It breaks my heart when I have to explain that I don't have any kimchi.

:cry:

I never did get a liking for kimchi.

SoJu on the other hand ;) :D

Upvote 0