Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
He doesn't want to. He's going to meet 72 virgins.

I've always thought it would be funny if Mohammed "heard" wrong. Instead of virgins, it is Virginians -- Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Carter Braxton, Francis Lightfoot Lee ... etc. ... etc. ... etc.

^_^

As far as I know, it's never specified that you meet 72 young, straight, female, hot virgins. I'll let your mind wander on its own. ;)

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I've always thought it would be funny if Mohammed "heard" wrong. Instead of virgins, it is Virginians -- Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Carter Braxton, Francis Lightfoot Lee ... etc. ... etc. ... etc.

Ripping off Robin Williams, now, are we? ;)

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
It is the accepted scholarly transliteration.
What a buch of concocted BS. The following are from a brief search on the Koran.

From the Havard Classis Series
Harvard Classics, Vol. 45, Part 5
Chapters from the Koran
source
"The Essential Koran
Thomas Cleary"
["Thomas Cleary – Holding a Ph.D. in East Asian Languages and Civilizations from Harvard University, he is the translator of over fifty volumes of Buddhist, Taoist, Confucian, and Islamic texts from Sanskrit, Chinese, Japanese, Pali and Arabic- including the best-selling Art of War."]
source
The Origins of the Koran:
Classic Essays on Islam's Holy Book
Edited by Ibn Warraq; Prometheus Books, 1998
Summarised by Sharon Morad, Leeds
source
"What the Koran Really Says: Language, Text and Commentary
by Ibn Warraq (Editor), Ibn Warraq (Translator)"
source
My Mercy Encompasses All
The Koran's Teachings on Compassion, Peace & Love
Shah-Kazemi, Reza (COM)
Berry, Wendell (FRW)
source
The Origins of the Koran
Classic Essays on Islam's Holy Book
Warraq, Ibn (EDT)
source
The Encyclopaedia of Islam. Leiden: Brill, 1960--
A comprehensive, scholarly examination of the "Kur`an" covering the derivation of the term "kur`an" itself, Muhammad, the history of The Koran, its structure, the chronology of the text, its language and style, literary forms and major themes, The Koran in Muslim life and thought, and a bibliography.
source
The Koran Interpreted: A Translation
by A J Jarthur John Arberry
This classic, authoritative translation brings the full meaning and power of the sacred book of Islam to Western readers. "Certainly the most beautiful English version, and among those by non-Muslim translators, the one that comes closest to conveying the impressions made on Muslims by the original".--Wilfred Cantwell Smith, Harvard University.
source
And just for kicks, from two newspapers
The Washington Times ;
... accidentally stepped on a prisoner's Koran, copies of Islam's holy text got wet when guards tossed water balloons ... according to the final results of a Pentagon probe. But the investigation ... press about desecration of the Koran here found no credible evidence ... interrogators ever ...

The Washington Post
The U.S. military released new details yesterday about five confirmed cases of U.S. personnel mishandling the Koran at the prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, acknowledging that soldiers and interrogators kicked the Muslim holy book, got copies wet, stood on a Koran during an interrogation and inadvertently sprayed urine on another copy.
source
So, while it may be spelled "Qur'an" in some texts, as well as several other ways, it is by no means "the accepted scholarly transliteration." There is no single accepted scholarly transliteration.

This means it is part of a system by which a person could reconstruct the original Arabic spelling from the English transliteration. And the system is such that a knowledgeable English speaker could produce a pronunciation approximating the standard Arabic just by looking at the transliteration.
Sorry, but there's good disagreement, and from an expert no less.
From Edward M. Cook Ph.D., a doctor of philology, who looked into this very issue
Strictly speaking, a transliteration "Quran" seems at first glance linguistically correct. The root of the word is cognate to Hebrew קרא, and both roots refer to (among other things) reading or audible recitation. The qur'aan is the "reading," that which is read or recited (compare Hebrew מקרא, miqra, "that which is read," the Bible).

Nevertheless, the Arabic sound conventionally transliterated as "Q" indicates a phonemic contrast (to Arabic "K") that does not exist in English. In fact, in English, the grapheme QU always indicates the phonetic sequence /kw/, and English speakers are going to want to import that /kw/ pronunciation into the spelling "Quran," leading to the monstrosity /kwuran/ or the like.

Therefore, to better approximate the actual pronunciation of the word, I wish they would settle on the older standard spelling "Koran." In English, the Arabic /q/ and /k/ are both adequately signaled by English K. And after all, English is what we're speaking here, right? We don't refer to certain foreign capitals as Moskva, Yerushalayim, Bruxelles, or Roma. Nor should we adopt the spelling Quran for the Islamic scripture."
source

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nah.

"Koran" is bad because it drops a letter and implies a pronunciation of ko-RAN. The "R" should be part of the first syllable, and you need that consonant represented by the apostrophe to start the second syllable to get kor-'AN. I suppose if you wanted you could write "korran" as a better approximation to at least get kor-RAN as a less wrong pronunciation. Even better might be "kurran" since the "u" implies the more correct vowel sound, even better would be "kurron" since the "a" is pronounced nearer to the "o" in "on".

"Koran", the way the average American pronounces it, is atrocious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I find that answering the door naked tends to keep them from coming back. Especially at this time of year, when I'm still all pale and overweight from the long Canadian winter.

If anyone doubts my word, I can provide pictures.

I speak for the forum: We believe you. Totally.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I find that answering the door naked tends to keep them from coming back. Especially at this time of year, when I'm still all pale and overweight from the long Canadian winter.

If anyone doubts my word, I can provide pictures.
I speak for the forum: We believe you. Totally.
Absolutely 100% in total convivial agreement with Morcova. We stipulate to the evidence and introduction is waived.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely 100% in total convivial agreement with Morcova. We stipulate to the evidence and introduction is waived.

For some reason I want to jump up and object in a loud and very dramatic fashion.

I'm not sure what I'd object to though.

It must be the residue of too many courtroom dramas in my brain.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For some reason I want to jump up and object in a loud and very dramatic fashion.

I'm not sure what I'd object to though.

It must be the residue of too many courtroom dramas in my brain.

Please don't object, we really don't want to see the evidence. :pray::pray::pray::pray:

Upvote 0

Foolish_Fool

Wanderer
Jun 3, 2006
Here
✟19,855.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if the distributors ever considered that they may be desecrating Qur'ans by leaving them out in the elements or giving them to people who will most likely desecrate them, thus making the distributors guilty as well.

BTW since when is people handing out books news? If somebody hands you a piece of paper with words/pictures that you disagree with just throw it away like a normal person (or recycle it if you're awesome).

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wonder if the distributors ever considered that they may be desecrating Qur'ans by leaving them out in the elements or giving them to people who will most likely desecrate them, thus making the distributors guilty as well.

BTW since when is people handing out books news? If somebody hands you a piece of paper with words/pictures that you disagree with just throw it away like a normal person (or recycle it if you're awesome).

I kind of wondered that myself. I think these Qur'an distributors should have thought out their plan a little more. I think that a better way to educate people about Islam would be to write a letter to the editor in the paper about Islam or to distribute pamphlets about Islam. At least that way the Holy Qur'an would not be desecrated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums