Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
looking to gain more knowledge on these particular subjects so I am looking for some good books to read.
William Cunningham's Historical Theology is very useful.

Biographies of Luther also.

L Verdiun's The Reformers and Their Stepchildren is really good.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here I Stand by Roland Bainton and Reformation of Church and Dogma by Jaroslav Pelikan are both good.
Yes, I thought Here I stand, by Bainton was good.

Another good one by Bainton was Erasmus of Christendom.

• Friendly
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
looking to gain more knowledge on these particular subjects so I am looking for some good books to read.
For the Reformation, try Diarmid McCulloch's book, 'Reformation'.

For general church history that is a little more complex, but I believe that there was a series of books issued by Penguin, of which the latest was by a different author and covering the last 50 years or so.

If you want a little more off-the-wall history (i.e. non conformist movements) try Kim Tan's Lost Heritage or David Allen's There is a River

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,977.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
what are some good books on the biblical canon and the council of nicea?

The way to Nicaea by Fr John Behr is a good book for looking at the history of the debate leading up to Nicaea. Then I would read his "the Nicene Faith" which deals with the council and figures more close to that time.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Would you read about the Reformation from a Catholic point of view?
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but if I didn't have a reading list a mile long, I myself would be interested.

It's always good (IMO) to get a full picture of things, and restricting oneself to one side or the other will always lead to a limited perspective.

Some things I wouldn't bother with but in this case both sides are Christian, so I think it would be valuable. I like to understand people. If only more time ... !

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but if I didn't have a reading list a mile long, I myself would be interested.

It's always good (IMO) to get a full picture of things, and restricting oneself to one side or the other will always lead to a limited perspective.

Some things I wouldn't bother with but in this case both sides are Christian, so I think it would be valuable. I like to understand people. If only more time ... !
It was addressed to the generic 'you'. You can Google Steve Weidenkopf, he's a Catholic convert historian. He dives into the Crusades, the Inquisition and the Reformation in 90 minute talks. You can get them at about $11 from www.catholic.com. He has books, too, and the best one is "The Real Story of Catholic History", and it's done by topic.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It was addressed to the generic 'you'. You can Google Steve Weidenkopf, he's a Catholic convert historian. He dives into the Crusades, the Inquisition and the Reformation in 90 minute talks. You can get them at about $11 from www.catholic.com. He has books, too, and the best one is "The Real Story of Catholic History", and it's done by topic.
Thank you.

It may very well become something I need to understand one day, and I have ignorance on some of these topics.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great work!!

upload_2017-11-16_10-45-16.png

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Here I Stand by Roland Bainton and Reformation of Church and Dogma by Jaroslav Pelikan are both good.

Agree with this list. I too would add Diarmaid MacCulloch's The Reformation: a History. MacCulloch is no orthodox believer but I think he tries to be fair and is a fantastic writer.

Upvote 0