Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone ever read or heard of a book by Phillip Yancey called What’s So Amazing About Grace? It’s a Christian book but I don’t think it’s Catholic. It was recommended on a Facebook book forum. I asked my priest about it but he hadn’t heard of it. He looked it up and said that it seems to focus on the mercy and unconditional love of God for us, which is good but that it seems to eliminate the need for repentance. He also suggested I ask our other priests about the book. He recommended Grace Explained by Fr. Brian Thomas Becket Mullady O.P. but I read the reviews on it and it didn’t sound appealing.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Has anyone ever read or heard of a book by Phillip Yancey called What’s So Amazing About Grace? It’s a Christian book but I don’t think it’s Catholic. It was recommended on a Facebook book forum. I asked my priest about it but he hadn’t heard of it. He looked it up and said that it seems to focus on the mercy and unconditional love of God for us, which is good but that it seems to eliminate the need for repentance. He also suggested I ask our other priests about the book. He recommended Grace Explained by Fr. Brian Thomas Becket Mullady O.P. but I read the reviews on it and it didn’t sound appealing.
Heard of it. Never read it. Might be OK.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read it a few years back. I was not terribly impressed with it myself. I just read this review to refresh my memory.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you remember if it said anything that would eliminate the need for repentance?
No I do not recall anything like that. After all, we are told through Scripture grace does not give one license to sin. We are to produce good fruit and others will know us by them. Quite honestly, I found it quite bland. It did not leave any lasting impression on me.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you or anyone else have any recommendations for good books on Grace, and or deeper relationships with Mary and the Holy Spirit?
@FaithT here is one I have been considering about the Holy Spirit. I have not purchased it yet but it looks like it might be helpful.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
@FaithT here is one I have been considering about the Holy Spirit. I have not purchased it yet but it looks like it might be helpful.

Fr. Mitch Pacwa has other books too. I asked my priests opinion on them. They sound good.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fr. Mitch Pacwa has other books too. I asked my priests opinion on them. They sound good.
He is a good priest. Been thinking about that book for awhile now. If you have a local Catholic bookstore, it might be worth your while to go in and browse and ask around for the topics you are looking for. Another good option is seeing if your parish has a small collection of Catholic books to loan out.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He is a good priest. Been thinking about that book for awhile now. If you have a local Catholic bookstore, it might be worth your while to go in and browse and ask around for the topics you are looking for. Another good option is seeing if your parish has a small collection of Catholic books to loan out.
We do have a Catholic store that sells all kinds Catholic merchandise and a Pauline Books and Media store. My church used to have a library but something happened to the books, and last I heard, it closed. I think it was mold. But that was a long time ago before I left for a few years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We do have a Catholic store that sells all kinds Catholic merchandise and a Pauline Books and Media store. My church used to have a library but something happened to the books, and last I heard, it closed. I think it was mold. But that was a long time ago before I left for a few years.
Well I’m sure the bookstore could direct you in the type of reading you are looking for. :)

Upvote 0