✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hammster and I agree on something:cool:

I will say this: If I'm completely wrong on this eschatological point and end up "raptured" or somesuch I won't be disappointed:clap:

I agree with that, too. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
H

Hinton90

Going by scriptural evidence, I can't see it being pre-trib. Just based on the scripture, there is no proof.

However, there is proof in mid-trib, saying that after 3 1/2 years, God's wrath will begin. Assuming the first 3 1/2 years are the AC's wrath. (That's just an assumption of course, but it's more scriptually accurate than pre-trib).

If you look at the history of the pre-trib theory, it started in the 1700s, before then nobody even thought about it being pre-trib. I believe it was created by man to make it easier on the mind, thus getting more people to go to church.

Could be post as well.

Either way, I wish it was pre-trib. Would be so great if it was, but wouldn't make any sense. It's stated many times that The Lord wants us to go through tribulation, and I doubt this will be an exception.

I'm not going to vote for anything. I lean towards mid or post, but, no matter what we should be ready for -anything-. If it is mid or post, then people will be left not ready and who knows what will happen to them.

If it's pre-trib, then great! See you in heaven! :D

Wish it were that easy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Historicism up to the Reformation

This broad form of Historicism held sway in Christianity from the 4th century until the Reformation. Prefiguring the revolt that was about to come, the 10th century Catholic bishop Arnulf of Orleans was the first to apply the Man of Sin prophecy in 2Thessalonians 2:3-9 to the papacy.[11][12] The same interpretation was given by the Catholic abbot Joachim of Floris in 1190[11] and the archbishop Eberhard II in 1240.
Out of the Reformation and Counter Reformation, Reformers and Catholics devised different schemes of interpretation, which they each used to claim that the other was the apostate church. From the Reformers arose the historicist paradigm. As such, the pro-Catholic positions took root when the Jesuit Doctor of Theology, Francisco Ribera[13] proposed Futurism in 1590, as well as the Spanish Jesuit Luis de Alcazar who proposed Preterism.[14][15][16][17]

Protestant historicist interpretations

The Protestant Reformation was born in reaction to the Catholic doctrines of works-only salvation and identifying the papacy as the Antichrist.[18] Protestant historicists saw prophecy fulfilled down through the centuries and into the modern era. Rather than expecting a single Antichrist to rule the earth during a future Tribulation period, Martin Luther, John Calvin and other Protestant Reformers saw the Antichrist as a present feature in the world of their time, fulfilled in the papacy. They were unanimous in this interpretation lending emphasis to their reformation. It led them to protest against Rome and it became their rally and battle cry.[19] Isaac Newton was a strong proponent of the historicist approach especially in the work published in 1733 after his death: Observations upon the Prophesies of the Book of Daniel, and the Apocalypse of St. John which has a similar stance toward the papacy of the reformers. He assiduously avoids the temptation to make any predictions based on prophetic literature, taking the view that prophesy when it has been shown to be fulfilled will be proof that God's providence has been imminently active in the world. Nevertheless,although not preterist, this work sees much of the prophesy being fulfilled in the first millennium of the Christian era.
Controversial features of the reformationist Historicist interpretations is the identification of the Antichrist (1 and 2 John), the Beasts of Revelation 13, the Man of Sin (or Man of Lawlessness) in 2 Thessalonians 2, the "Little horn" of Daniel 7 and 8, and the harlot of Babylon (Revelation 17) with the Roman Catholic Church, the Papacy and Papal States, and each successive Pope himself.

Modern historicism

The 19th century was a significant watershed in the history of prophetic thought. While the historicist paradigm, together with its pre- or postmillennialism, the day-year principle, and the view of the papal Antichrist, was dominant in English Protestant scholarship during much of the period from the Reformation to the middle of the nineteenth century (and continues to find expression in some groups today), it was not the only one on offer in the broader pre- or non-critical marketplace.[20] Arising in Great Britain and Scotland, William Kelly and other Plymouth Brethren became the leading exponents of dispensationalist premillennial eschatology.[21] By 1826, literalist interpretation of prophecy took hold and dispensationalism saw the light of day.[22] The dispensationalist interpretation derived from the historicist model of interpreting Daniel and Revelation and the theory that there was a gap in prophetic fulfillment of prophecy proposed by Futurism, but dispensationalism took a decidedly anti-Catholic position.

Upvote 0