RICHMOND
✟19,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You keep stating this but they are different words so how can he demonstrate the second definition of apostasia when apostasia is not in that verse? It's aphantos which means non-manesfested/vanished out of sight which I already stated. That's the word that's in Luke 24:31, not apostasia.

For any kind of proof apostasia would have to be the word in Luke 24:31 and it's not. To even suggest the Lord has any part in apostasia is absurd to begin with.
Jesus demonstrated definition #2 of apostasia.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apostasia has five definitions.

Apostasia’s second definition is “departure; disappearance.” Therefore, “departure” means “physical departure.”
But the word apostasia is not in Luke 24:31. So you can't use that verse as an example. Apostasia would have to be in that verse for you to use it as an example and it's not. Are you not understanding that? Just because the version you're reading reads "disappeared" does not mean that translates to apostasia. It does not. I along with others have pointed that out.

The word in Luke 24:31 is aphantos. You need to use have a version on hand that can be translated back to the Greek text to check things like this out at times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Apostasia’s second definition is “departure; disappearance.” Therefore, “departure” means “physical departure.”

In Luke 24:31, Jesus demonstrated a physical departure.

That's not how this works.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jeffrey Bowden

Dec 25, 2023
RICHMOND
✟19,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the word apostasia is not in Luke 24:31. So you can't use that verse as an example. Apostasia would have to be in that verse for you to use it as an example and it's not. Are you not understanding that? Just because the version you're reading reads "disappeared" does not mean that translates to apostasia. It does not. I along with others have pointed that out.

The word in Luke 24:31 is aphantos. You need to use have a version on hand that can be translated back to the Greek text to check things like this out at times.
Julie, in all due respect, I am going by Liddell & Scott Greek-English Lexicon. What appears in Luke 24:31 is “disappeared,” the past tense of the verb form of “disappearance” in apostasia’s definition.

Julie, the second definition of apostasia is in Luke 24:31, in past tense of its verb form:

Luke 24:31 (NIV): Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Disappeared” is the past tense of the verb form of apostasia’s second definition.
Again, the word is not in the Greek text. You are using the English translation from a newer version. It has nothing to do with Liddell and Scott' definition of apostasia. Which is is still not a physical departure.
But if you want to use Liddell and Scott -look up aphantos. That's the word in Luke 24:31.
Christ aphantos (vanished) out of their sight.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
“Disappeared” is the past tense of the verb form of apostasia’s second definition.

Listen, it's very clear that you are unable to make a defensible argument. The sort of straw-grasping you are currently engaged in simply won't convince anyone with common sense, let alone anyone with a rudimentary understanding of things like textual analysis and how languages work.

You are digging yourself into a hole here, and it would be prudent to stop.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

Jeffrey Bowden

Dec 25, 2023
RICHMOND
✟19,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, the word is not in the Greek text. You are using the English translation from a newer version. It has nothing to do with Liddell and Scott' definition of apostasia. Which is is still not a physical departure.
But if you want to use Liddell and Scott -look up aphantos. That's the word in Luke 24:31.
Christ aphantos (vanished) out of their sight.
Julie, apostasia is a noun, and disappear is a verb.

Additionally, Strong’s will never publish the second definition of apostasia (departure; disappearance). They only publish the first definition (defection; revolt) and thereby justify all their limitations on researching apostasia.

There has been a prohibition on giving apostasia its due in 2 Th 2:3, in particular, since the KJV, inexplicably, caused a sea change in 2 Th 2:3 by using the first definition of apostasia. Why won’t KJV answer as to why they made that super-significant change? They won’t answer to this day, and neither will Bible Gateway and Geneva Bible. They’re forced to remain silent. I have good reason to believe Roman Catholics were behind the arm twisting back in the late 1500’s and early 1600’s. They were actually the first to monkey with 2 Th 2:3 in their Douay–Rheims Bible starting in 1582. And, we all know, the Roman Catholics are vehemently against the pre-Trib rapture.

There’s evil lurking behind the scenes in Bible publishing and/or distribution, related specifically to keeping apostasia’s first definition in use, only.

This isn’t conspiracy theory. These are unfortunate facts of a steak of evil in Bible publishing and/or distribution.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Julie, in all due respect, I am going by Liddell & Scott Greek-English Lexicon. What appears in Luke 24:31 is “disappeared,” the past tense of the verb form of “disappearance” in apostasia’s definition.

Have you ever done that thing using Google Translate or Babelfish or whatever where you type a word in one language and translate it into a second, then take that translation and put it back into the original language to see how close it was to what you originally wrote? You can get some pretty interesting results doing that. For instance, if I put in the English word "bare" into GT and translate it into Russian, the first definition that pops up is голый (goliy). Then, if I put голый into GT and translate back it into English, the definition I get is "naked". I'm pretty sure we can all see why you wouldn't want to treat "bare" and "naked" as 'the same word', since that's obviously not what they are, and doing so could result in some pretty odd misunderstandings ("Don't touch it! It's a naked wire!").

That's kind of what you're doing right now.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There has been a prohibition on giving apostasia its due in 2 Th 2:3, in particular, since the KJV, inexplicably, caused a sea change in 2 Th 2:3 by using the first definition of apostasia. Why won’t KJV answer as to why they made that super-significant change? They won’t answer to this day, and neither will Bible Gateway and Geneva Bible. They’re forced to remain silent. I have good reason to believe Roman Catholics were behind the arm twisting back in the late 1500’s and early 1600’s. They were actually the first to monkey with 2 Th 2:3 in their Douay–Rheims Bible starting in 1582. And, we all know, the Roman Catholics are vehemently against the pre-Trib rapture.

There’s evil lurking behind the scenes in Bible publishing and/or distribution, related specifically to keeping apostasia’s first definition in use, only.

This isn’t conspiracy theory. These are unfortunate facts of a steak of evil in Bible publishing and/or distribution.
How about this. Take the English versions out of it and whatever conspiracy theories you're thinking of and focus on the fact that apostasia itself is not in the actual Greek text in Luke 24:31. That is a fact. ἄφαντος -aphantos. Why do you keep ignoring this word?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeffrey Bowden

Dec 25, 2023
RICHMOND
✟19,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever done that thing using Google Translate or Babelfish or whatever where you type a word in one language and translate it into a second, then take that translation and put it back into the original language to see how close it was to what you originally wrote? You can get some pretty interesting results doing that. For instance, if I put in the English word "bare" into GT and translate it into Russian, the first definition that pops up is голый (goliy). Then, if I put голый into GT and translate back it into English, the definition I get is "naked". I'm pretty sure we can all see why you wouldn't want to treat "bare" and "naked" as 'the same word', since that's obviously not what they are, and doing so could result in some pretty odd misunderstandings ("Don't touch it! It's a naked wire!").

That's kind of what you're doing right now.

How about this. Take the English versions out of it and whatever conspiracy theories you're thinking of and focus on the fact that apostasia itself is not in the actual Greek text in Luke 24:31. That is a fact. ἄφαντος -aphantos. Why do you keep ignoring this word?
Disprove this definitive proof of the pre-Trib rapture:

God’s wrath in the Trib begins no later than the 2nd seal.

1 Th 1:10 (NKJV): and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.

"Delivers us" in this context, means we are snatched away (raptured): "The second usage of deliverance refers to the Acts of God whereby he rescues his people from danger. The key words nasal [l;v"n] ("draw out, snatched away")," --- Source: Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology.

God's wrath begins in the Trib no later than the 2nd seal. Here's the 2nd seal: Rev 6:4 (TLB): This time a red horse rode out. Its rider was given a long sword and the authority to banish peace and bring anarchy to the earth; war and killing broke out everywhere.

Wars are a form of God's wrath: Ezekiel 14:21 (NLT): “Now this is what the Sovereign Lord says: How terrible it will be when all four of these dreadful punishments fall upon Jerusalem—war, famine, wild animals, and disease—destroying all her people and animals.

What Paul was saying in 1 Th 1:10 is we will be raptured before the Trib, because God's wrath starts on day 1.

Upvote 0