Questions about iconography...

A

AlwaysForget

Question 1:
I have heard that if icon (mounted print or the original one) gets damaged beyond repair you are suppose to burn it and spread ashes over the water. Is it correct?
What if the varnish is toxic? or I don't have a place to burn it?

Question 2:
What about electronic images? If I'm deleting an image of an icon from my HD am I destroying it sort of the same way the shredder does when destroying icon paper print?

Question 3:
I've heard of a few myrrh-weeping icons that are actually prints mounted on the board.
We move more & more toward digital images.
If the image of the icon is displayed in the digital frame can it be venerated the same way as the printed images?

Upvote 0

Steinbeck

Sep 28, 2013
Wisconsin, United States
✟7,658.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Digital images of icons are not like even a printed .jpg file because, I guess, the digital file is not, how to say, material. We don't venerate computer screens. We don't put up LCD iconostases. There is a greater value, I think, in the icon that is lovingly made by hand--whether it be painted or a printed photo glued to a board.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The last post, by Steinbeck made me wonder. Is it acceptable, if one has absolutely no money to spend (like myself), to print off an icon and decoupage it onto a board?

Thanks.

since God knows the heart, I would say that would be okay. I know I have some prints from icons on my corner.

Upvote 0

MayDay3

Apr 26, 2013
✟7,612.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Painted. Don't get me started on how difficult that translation is and how misunderstood it is by the general Orthodox world.

As for the style, it looks like a rather generic Russian style.

Looks more Coptic to me, but I'm no Iconography expert.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟61,094.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Digital images of icons are not like even a printed .jpg file because, I guess, the digital file is not, how to say, material. We don't venerate computer screens. We don't put up LCD iconostases. There is a greater value, I think, in the icon that is lovingly made by hand--whether it be painted or a printed photo glued to a board.

There have been times when my cell phone has served as portable icon, so in that sense it has been venerated ;)
An act of violence against a screen depicting an icon would be much the same as one toward an icon made of wood and paint.
The physical materials of painted/written icons are a vehicle for the depiction and for as long as the image can be discerned it should be honoured.

Apologies if this seems facetious.

Every sacred image we encounter is holy in its presence.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The icon is not the wood or the paint. According to the Father's and in particular St Theodore the Studite, the icon is the form of the person depticted, so no matter if it is on wood or on a screen, no matter what technique is used to paint it, the form of Christ (or the saints) is the icon.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Who are these saints on the left and right of the Pantocrator? Picked this print up at a thrift shop the other day, but I don't read Cyrillic.

Also, question about veneration -- I live in a dorm room most of the year, but I started to create a small icon corner to do my daily prayers. Only thing is that I'm not allowed to have an actual candle in the dorms, so is it acceptable to use electric votive candles, or should I use no candles, or...?

Attachments

• IMG_6562.JPG
    IMG_6562.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟277,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to make out for sure from the picture, but it appears to be Alexander Nevsky on the left ( he took the monastic Schema just before his death) and his son Daniil of Moscow on the right and Jesus Christ, Lord Almighty in the center.

Upvote 0