• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions about iconography...

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Michael G, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Lepomis

Lepomis New Member

+0
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I’ve been looking for an icon of Nathan the Prophet. But I’ve never been able to find one. Do any exist?

2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+5,335
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    probably, although since he doesn't have a book, you might find him in the dome around the pantokrator

3. ikonographics

ikonographics In patience I waited patiently on the Lord

+396
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I've painted him in a wedding icon for a couple.

4. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+9,949
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    @ikonographics -

You have St. Xenia! And you sell prints! I might have to be contacting you soon. My current icon of St. Xenia is about 1/2 x 3/4 " paper glued to aluminum, but I love her so she rides in my car with me. :)

I wanted to ask about one of your icons? I think it's the Archangel Michael, and it looks like he's holding a swaddled infant (a soul?) in his right hand, a sword in his left, and it looks like he's standing in water with a bottle with a piece of paper in it floating by his feet? Can I ask what that is depicting? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. Thanks!

5. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+810
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    This question popped into my head earlier whilst I was working.

How do iconographers create icons of saints from which we have no known images or records of how they appeared during their time on this earth?

6. ~Anastasia~

+9,949
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    (I don't know the answer from an iconographer's point of view, but I know sometimes they have been given faces through dreams.)

7. ikonographics

ikonographics In patience I waited patiently on the Lord

+396
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Strange I replied to your post yesterday and it disappeared...so I'll try again...

If you're interested I make pendants/ keyrings/ magnets etc on Zazzle. If you're interested in a particular icon on something let me know and I can make it.

That icon is a copy of the miraculous icon of Archangel Michael Panormitis on the island of Symi. You can throw a bottle into the sea anywhere in the world, with names and a "Tama" (vow) and it will reach the monastery. That is why I painted the bottle in the icon. He is holding a soul in his hand because he is known to help at the hour of death.

8. ~Anastasia~

+9,949
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Oh I like Zazzle. If I remember right it's the invitations that come printed on nice paper.

Thank you for the info about the icon. I've never heard that story before. I think I'm going to have to read more. Very interesting!