Earth
✟1,462,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Would it be heretical to write an icon of the three wise men from the east as: Buddha, Lao Tzu, Zoroaster?

it would not be an icon, unless you had them clearly foreshadowing Christ.

• Informative
Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟279,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
An icon of the Nativity of Christ is not the place to make an overt statement like that. By depicting the magi we do show the fulfillment of all good things contained in pagan religions and philosophies and the definitive statement about the falsehoods contained therein. But we do that by depicting them as they have traditionally been depicted. It was after all a historical event and not an allegorical one.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philip Bryant

Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
✟15,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
hospitality-of-abraham icon.jpg
mystical supper icon.jpg
sinful woman icon.jpg

So in many versions of certain icons - with a table - there is this red crop (it almost looks like a carrot). Does anyone know what this crop is and its significance in the iconography? I was thinking it might be bitter root which, would tie to Exodus and 4 Ezra but that's just my intuitive guess.

Upvote 0

Didaskomenos

Voiced Bilabial Spirant
Feb 11, 2002
GA
Visit site
✟18,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Good thread, thanks. I've got a question of my own.

What is the "copyright" for icons?

I realize that most living iconographers are professional and wouldn't want their icons copied or sold without their permission. But every now and then I find lovely images of icons that I know have been in existence for a long time and so there is no issue of stealing from the iconographer. Do you think it is ok to reproduce this type and ask one's priest for a blessing to sell them?

Sometimes it's not at all obvious where an icon came from and they don't seem to be reproduced or sold in any known store currently. Do you know of any good ways to find out about an icon's provenance?

Upvote 0

SalemsConcordance

Oct 5, 2020
Westcoast
✟28,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Would you buy icons from a canonical affiliated monastery site which attached Pope Francis below?

Would you purchase icons or Liturgical books from a schismatic associated monastery?

Attachments

• Pope Francis.png
    Pope Francis.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟470,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
a canonical one? yes. schismatic? I would try not to unless they are the only one that has what I am looking for (or the best of what I am looking for).

Indeed, Holy Transfiguration Monastery historically has had huge marketshare for its service books among parishes that use Byzantine Chant, and the best Pentecostarion is published by St. John of Kronstadt Press, whose owner was affiliated with the same schismatic break away from ROCOR that the owner of the Iveron icon in Las Vegas is associated with.

However, there are alternatives for all of the above.

Increasingly you can get Byzantine Chant texts with musical notation in the Byzantine or Western style, even for the Divine Liturgy of St. James, which I had hoped to attend this morning but I was extremely ill and unable to get up - perhaps if God wills it I can find a ROCOR parish that will be celebrating it using the new Liturgikon published by Jordanville, but this year the feast of St. James falls on a Sunday, but it had occurred to me with a doctors note I might be able to persuade one to do it on a weekday along with Holy Unction, since I am genuinely concerned I might not be around next year to see it. Or perhaps if I went to Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville.

By the way is there a way to offer to pay for the costs of serving an unscheduled liturgy and Holy Unction without inadvertently appearing to attempt to suborn simony? I know it is de rigeur for the married couple to pay the church for weddings and so on and Roman Catholics have mass stipends, but I thought I’d ask before requesting a Holy Unction and an unscheduled liturgy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0