1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

purchasing icons, the good, the bad and the ugly

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Hoankan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+1,064
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    My general understanding is that it is perfectly acceptable (at least in the U.S.) to purchase copies of "historic" icons where the author and their immediate descendants have reposed. Most of the Orthodox churches that I have been to have copies of some of the most famous icons, so this is what has led me to the conclusion that this is an acceptable practice. :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the miraculous Hawaiian Myrrh Bearing Icon is actually a copy of a much older icon?

2. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God †

+16,595
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I think it is but I'd have to double check my memory. If I'm remembering right, the one it was copied from streamed myrrh too, and it might be one that a friend told me a story about the caretaker of that one (which the icon is currently lost).

But I might be mixing them up.

3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+18,321
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    yes, the Hawaiian Icon is a copy and a print of the Iveron Icon which was lost when Br Jose Munoz-Cortez was murdered.

4. ~Anastasia~

+16,595
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Thank you. I was wondering if I had it mixed up with another or not.

We should pray for the caretakers of those icons. My friend helps guard the Hawaiian icon sometimes when it travels. He was so kind and sent me two small copies along with some of the myrrh ... it was a comfort I can't describe while I was going through all that cancer stuff ... and still is. I had no idea the kinds of precautions they have to take, and how dangerous it can be.

It's difficult to imagine someone wishing to steal them. Unless it is an enemy? Everything is by the grace of God, and that can't be controlled by people.

5. Phronema

Phronema Orthodox Christian Supporter

+1,405
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Does anyone happen to know if Orthodoxmonasteryicons.com is the same as monasteryicons.com?

6. ~Anastasia~

+16,595
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    They don't appear to be.

The orthodoxmonasteryicons.com says it is connected to the Paracletos Greek Orthodox Monastery in South Carolina. It checks out as being canonical.

I can't find any info on monasteryicons.com - and that's odd. I've never seen a monastery site that didn't tell you about the monastery. They list only a POBox in Ohio that I can find? (They also sell a lot of things that I wouldn't expect an Orthodox monastery to sell.)

I doubt they are connected.

7. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+15,650
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Monastery icons - the folk with a PO Box in Ohio are folk to stay away from. Truly they are. They keep popping up looking OK BUT their past history is most unsavoury - there's a Gnostic link some years back I believe. Irish Melkite did a really good post about them some years back.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. peregrinus2017

peregrinus2017 Active Member

+363
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    So my first experience purchasing icons seems to cover the good, the bad, and the ugly. Maybe I am expecting too much, and would like advice. I ordered these prints in this companies "masterpiece" grade, and am really disappointed.
    The woodwork on the panel itself is rather rough. The front edges were not bevelled like shown on their website,and the finishing was mediocre at best. I am told they no longer bevel the edges, and that it is more traditional without. The print itself is done on "canvas" that they tell me has the most minimal texture available, but seriously reflects light in a way I find most detrimental to the icon . Also the icons have been trimmed crooked to the grain of the canvas. To be fair, they have offered me a refund if I send them back, but I live in Canada, and shipping them back will easily cost a third of what I paid for the icons themselves. I do a fair bit of fine woodworking and carving, and I know I have a very sensitive eye for detail, so maybe I expect too much. I could probably find someone to give them to that would appreciate them. I guess my main concern is if my attitude and expectations are wrong or unrealistic. I think that any icon, even a print, deserves, or even requires thoughtful and careful creation. Below are a couple of pictures to illustrate. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Indirect lighting, no flash
    indirect light.JPG

With flash
    top edge.JPG

Without flash
    top corner.JPG

9. ~Anastasia~

+16,595
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I've never gotten a canvas print - mine are all paper.

I see what you mean about the grain but for an icon it looks nice.

I'm no expert but roughness to the wood seems to be quite common.

I like a certain finish myself, and only the icon my Church gave me when I was baptized has that finish.

I'm sure someone else could say more. But yes, knowing what I know about mounting and finishing work (and I'm no expert) ... icons don't seem to very often have a slick, finished look.

If I could get appropriate prints, I'd rather do the work myself. But everything I have are things like postcards and printed cards, which I love them, but they won't produce a great effect mounted no matter what.

10. peregrinus2017

peregrinus2017 Active Member

+363
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Thanks for the reply. My problem I guess is more with my picky nature than with the icons. I need to appreciate them for the image they bear more than how they are made. Though I will likely keep looking for something else.

11. SaNcTaMaRiA

SaNcTaMaRiA I am a man...who loves our Lady! Supporter

+1,042
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Im no expert. However, I find this icon stunning.

12. JasonV

JasonV Member

+82
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I've purchased several Icons from Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Boston. They are relatively inexpensive and nice looking. https://www.bostonmonks.com

13. AMM

AMM A Beggar Supporter

+1,265
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    Anyone know where to find some icons of Saint Jerome? After a lot of prayer and searching, my priest blessed my choice of Saint Jerome as my patron saint when my chrismation comes. But as a traditionally more "western" saint, I haven't been able to find icons of Jerome on any websites that I've looked.

Also, what should our stance be on non-Orthodox icons? The Roman Catholics have lots of icons, reliefs, statues of Jerome, for example. And one of my good friends bought me a hand-painted icon of Saint Paul from Rome. As I understand it, it shouldn't matter who made the icon -- didn't the Fathers say that icons are holy inherently because of who/what they depict? (Not because of who made them)

14. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+18,321
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    we have some iconographers on here so they might hook you up.

if you get a priest to bless even a Western painting or icon of an Orthodox saint, it can be used for home use provided it isn't heretical (such as Western depictions of God the Father).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. HoleyHermit

HoleyHermit Member

+181
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I’ve bought a number of icons on eBay. There are a few icons of St. Jerome currently available there.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+10,194
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You're not a translator by any chance?

17. AMM

AMM A Beggar Supporter

+1,265
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    Not currently - but I love learning languages and am going to (re)start learning Greek and Latin soon

18. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+10,194
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I wondered, being that St Jerome is considered the patron saint of translators.

19. AMM

AMM A Beggar Supporter

+1,265
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    That was a piece of it. And just that he is the patron saint of scholars, students, etc. in general. He also studied under Gregory Nazianzen whom I did a research project on: St Gregory was the one who showed me that Orthodoxy really was old and its teachings (the ones different from Lutheran teachings) were found in the early church. Without getting too much into the personal details of my life, I also relate to his story quite a bit.

20. Shawn P

Shawn P Member

+45
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    That PO Box is for a fulfillment center that handles online stores, website maintenance, shipping, warehouse storage, and customer service for some 30 or more companies. If you ever order Avon, Nike shoes, Hugo Boss suits or a whole bunch of other things, they will have the same return address as Monastery Icons. I used to work for this 3rd-party company a long, long time ago. Monastery Icons may have no physical presence in Ohio at all. I don't quite remember, and I never directly handled anything to do with their account.

I'm glad I read all the way through this thread. I might have otherwise ordered from them, having a bit of familiarity with the company and not really knowing better about their origins and history.