• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

purchasing icons, the good, the bad and the ugly

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Hoankan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+8,151
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    yeah, it's sad folks do that

2. nutroll

nutroll Veteran

+615
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I went through page by page and found each infringement and reported them all. Etsy removed them. The next day I got an email from the owner of the shop apologizing in a way that makes it sound like he will be doing this again because he pays no attention to where an image comes from. This is what bothers me most in these instances. People seem to think that if they find an image online that they own it and can do whatever they want with it. I have been very blessed by God and am not in utter poverty, but I have experienced more difficult times, and still don't live in luxury. To take images and sell things with that image without regard even for the fact that someone worked to make that image is wrong because it really devalues the work of iconographers some of whom are making great sacrifices financially and personally to perform this ministry.

3. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member

+2,238
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    That sounds like one of the best arguments in favor of 'watermarking' images posted online that I've heard in a while.

4. nutroll

nutroll Veteran

+615
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Unfortunately it is. I didn't want to watermark my images because I think it's tacky and I want people to be able to use them in those cases where someone can only afford to print something out and hang it in their icon corner. Now I am in the unfortunate situation of having to go back and watermark a huge catalog of my work. I have been painting icons for 26 years, and even without posting older images, I still have hundreds of images to watermark and re-upload. With a wife, three kids, commission work, and church it can be hard to carve out enough time to do such things.

5. bbbbbbb

bbbbbbb Well-Known Member

+9,070
    Non-Denom
    Collecting icons has become quite popular in middle and upper class households in Russia today regarding of religious beliefs. Icons seem to gaining the appeal that Faberge did in the late twentieth century for collectors.

6. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+9,469
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I've just heard of an Iconographer here in Scotland, having problems with her images being 'lifted' and sadly she is now also having to watermark photos of her work in an attempt to prevent this type of theft

7. ArmyMatt

+8,151
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    ugh, that is awful

8. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+13,203
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Speaking of the ethics of such a thing ...

Do you see anything wrong with using images of older icons? I'm just curious. I'm guessing that is ok, since legitimate icon-selling companies do this. Does anyone know if there is any ownership, or royalties to be paid?

(That said, I had Wal-Mart take my photos of some ancient icons and throw them in the trash, refusing to let me have them, since they were "art" and not my own. They didn't accept that there was no copyright on centuries-old work.)

9. nutroll

nutroll Veteran

+615
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The issue on that would likely have more to do with any rights of the person who photographed the icon since the copyright doesn't survive indefinitely after the artist's death, and since icons are often the work of monks, there wouldn't even be an estate. Of course I once saw an icon of mine on Wikipedia with the note that it was in the Creative Commons because the artist had died more than fifty years ago, which was news to me and my family.

I don't think that kind of situation is what upsets people, but rather when someone collects images online and then has a printing company make up a bunch of junk so they can sell it for a profit. There are other ways to make money than stealing from others.

10. Anhelyna

+9,469
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The Scottish Iconographer is finding her stuff on the same Etsy shop - same seller as you, nutroll, and Julia. She has also time and again reported him.

11. ~Anastasia~

+13,203
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    That makes sense, but in one particular case I told them (truthfully) that I had taken the photo, and that it was like I had taken a photo of the Mona Lisa, and it should be printed. They wouldn't accept that. At the same time, iirc, they also discarded some images of my own that I'd added text to.

I've had trouble before getting images (portraits) I have taken and edited myself, but I can usually convince them it's my own work. I'm not that great a photographer, but editing software does wonders. :)

Wow, you could hope that was somewhere along the line an honest mistake. But wow. (I've read you say that before, but it's still a bit of a surprise.)

That's just so wrong. And the reports aren't doing anything? That's kind of surprising - there has been SUCH a crackdown online (at least some years ago) of copyright violations that I would think a company like Etsy would be concerned enough to do something.

Then again, I used to write and (sometimes) publish articles online as a business, and I would sometimes find my article, complete with photos, lifted and published elsewhere. It was rather frustrating for a while, because one particular person was following me and just copying a lot of my work. It got me temporarily blackballed for a while because they assumed I might be the one copying? I couldn't get it removed because the website was registered overseas. I did a "plant" of a line embedded in the text to discredit the website, they published it unchanged, and then I edited mine.

Sorry for rambling - I would just think Etsy would pay attention to such charges and do something about it. :(

12. ikonographics

ikonographics In patience I waited patiently on the Lord

+427
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Katherine Sanders? She is the one who discovered the problem and told me about it :-(

13. ikonographics

+427
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Etsy aren't concerned at all and that is the most worrying thing about it. You'd think when a seller has had so many items reported they'd shut him down, but now. They basically tell us to deal with the seller and then if he removes the item, they say, "Oh look, you've solved the problem! There is nothing we can do!"

14. ikonographics

+427
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The most annoying thing was that the seller sent Katherine and me friend requests on Facebook!

15. ~Anastasia~

+13,203
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Oh WOW!

And I'm sure you've had conversations with this person?

I wouldn't even know who to approach but I do know US law clamped down so tightly on copyright infringement that involves the internet. I'm not looking to have Etsy shut down (though their behavior is deplorable, and a little shock that motivated them to be more proactive (or at least reactive to complaint) could be good.

But I'm thinking there are very large official channels that could be used? It has had a profound effect on such giants as YouTube, down to most medium-sized online presences. This should not be something you have to deal with on your own - not with a US artist, a US seller, using a US company, at least (and I also know some though not all foreign countries are included).

I wish I could help more. Have you looked into it through larger channels?

16. ArmyMatt

+8,151
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    wow, that's pretty bold

17. Anhelyna

+9,469
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Katherine was at our Liturgy on Saturday - but I didn't get a chance to talk with her.
    This seller is really rather blatant with his disregard of normal conventions

18. ikonographics

+427
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. ArmyMatt

+8,151
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Lord have mercy. people....they're the worst

20. ~Anastasia~

+13,203
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    It's good to be made aware of these.

I have only very rarely bought icons commercially. But I tend to wish for a particular image (there is still one of the Theotokos and Christ that I really want, and have in a printed photo form). And finding someone who sells it probably mostly means they are accessing images from all over - which I am starting to see means stolen images, it seems. Not good to have something so central to the practice of our faith - be stolen.