Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let them choose this name and then see how many people reading it conclude that it's some sort of splinter group or cult.
Guess it brings up the opportunity to talk about the Great Commission. That would seem a good thing.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wasn't aware they were called the Black Lives Matter Baptist Convention.
Haven’t you heard of the First Black Lives Matter Baptist Church of Marietta? The FBLMBC for short.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The word Baptist is just as racist as the word Southern. So is the word Church.
I guess you and I won’t need to sit on the same pew. But, sounds like you may not be much into fellowshipping with others.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There is absolutely nothing the least bit essential about the word "Southern". If that reaches more people for Christ, then lose the word and get the people. And if other people have a problem with that, then they can drop the name "Baptist" from their church instead.

• Winner
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I guess you and I won’t need to sit on the same pew. But, sounds like you may not be much into fellowshipping with others.
If we allow ourselves to do so, we could see racism under every rock. So, why would they change only Southern? And if the word southern has the potential to remind someone about slavery, then perhaps we ought to use the word "lower" for every reference below Northern.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
A little Johnny Reb come lately? The last place racial barriers will break down are in evangelical churches in the South IMHO.
And what informs your opinion?

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ROFL...
Sorry but much of this discussion is rather off the wall.

SBC is the acronym for Southern Baptist Convention.

And where there is a president his whole job is to bang a gavel to call the meetings to order. He has no other function or power to do anything. He can appear to be more than that...but everyone that has been around for a while knows that his whole job lies within that gavel.
The only position that has any real sort of some power is the head of the Missions Board. But it's a very short term position and again is subject to the convention.

A convention is just that...a collection of people who "at will" join together for common goals. You can withdraw at any time and by joining in you agree in principle with the already collected together convention.

One major stipulation of the SBC is that there be no definition of the SBC...
No Calvinistic theologies
No Charismatic theologies
No Catholic theologies
No Arminian theologies.

Now individual churches that have joined the SBC may hold to these theologies...but the convention does not.
It's a convention...every last little thing is voted upon and you can just about bet that if a bunch of people don't like the direction of the SBC they are gone. It's not ever going to be a structure with a heirchy. They can't act like one.

Now where you can put lipstick on a pig and call it Buttercup; but how many people are going to kiss it?

The SBC has had issues in the past and currently has issues. Churches come and go all the time. It's a convention... the SBC holds no power whatsoever over member churches. And if the current "president" wants to change the name the next one can change it back. I really wouldn't bother to order new stationary...or a lot of it at least.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we allow ourselves to do so, we could see racism under every rock. So, why would they change only Southern? And if the word southern has the potential to remind someone about slavery, then perhaps we ought to use the word "lower" for every reference below Northern.
“Baptist” is not offensive as it is a relatively generic term.

I tend to equate “Northern” with “lower”, but that’s another thread....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Baptist” is not offensive as it is a relatively generic term.

I tend to equate “Northern” with “lower”, but that’s another thread....

Virginia is the home state of Baptists... maybe that has something to do with it.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And will a name change of the SBC fix that?
It's a symbol of change. If you recall, the Great Commission was not meant to be limited to the southern states of America.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It's a symbol of change. If you recall, the Great Commission was not meant to be limited to the southern states of America.
Was that a yes or no?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It’s sad when someone who is supposed to be leading caves to cultural Marxism.
I didn't see anything in the quote about anyone endorsing the government seizing the means of production. Did you mean to reply to a different thread?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I didn't see anything in the quote about anyone endorsing the government seizing the means of production. Did you mean to reply to a different thread?
And I didn’t say Marxism. I said cultural Marxism. If you need to know what that means, let me know.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I didn’t say Marxism. I said cultural Marxism. If you need to know what that means, let me know.
"Cultural Marxism" is just some made-up term that has no meaning.

If, by your definition, "cultural Marxism" means loving our Black neighbor as oneself, count me in.

Upvote 0