• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Prominent Southern Baptists are dropping ‘Southern’ name amid racial unrest

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SummerMadness, Sep 15, 2020.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+9,879
    Christian
    Prominent Southern Baptists are dropping ‘Southern’ name amid racial unrest

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Hammster

Hammster I am the wretch in the song. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+19,388
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Sadly, Greear is woke.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+9,879
    Christian
    It's unfortunate when someone sees a move to increase Christian fellowship as "sad."

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+4,100
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I've been impressed with J.D. Greear's leadership. It makes good practical and spiritual sense to acknowledge the past, make appropriate changes, and move forward. I'm not Baptist, but I find this to be very encouraging.

5. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+15,796
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Why is this sad? The entire genesis of the "southern" moniker for the baptist organization was their support for slavery.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  6. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,369
    Anglican
    Married
    “Every week we gather to worship a savior who died for the whole world, not one part of it. What we call ourselves should make that clear.”

If that was meant sincerely, the first thing Greear would dump would be the term "Black Lives Matter."

7. Hammster

+19,388
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    It’s sad when someone who is supposed to be leading caves to cultural Marxism.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Hammster

+19,388
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    We don’t support slavery anymore. We haven’t for a few years now.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,369
    Anglican
    Married
    Let them choose this name and then see how many people reading it conclude that it's some sort of splinter group or cult.

10. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+4,070
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I wasn't aware they were called the Black Lives Matter Baptist Convention.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+3,800
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. royal priest

royal priest debtor to grace

+1,948
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
  13. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,369
    Anglican
    Married
    The truth is that the SBC is willing to do this in order to try to maintain status.

This is not a new idea and the recent riots are not the cause of discussions within the Southern Baptist Convention looking to change the name. Nor is the idea of "fellowship," etc.

For years, this has been under consideration; and the reason was that, in a time when churches, the SBC included, are losing members, it might help to make the name seem less regional. The hope has been that a new name will make a potential joiner think of this denomination as more important and nationwide in scope, especially to people who live somewhere other than in the American South.

• List
  14. iluvatar5150

+15,796
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    It's been too few years since a good chunk of the SBC membership explicitly favored segregation. When the SBTS hosted MLK in 1961, many churches protested and withdrew their support.
    https://sbts-wordpress-uploads.s3.a...acism-and-the-Legacy-of-Slavery-Report-v4.pdf

In 1964, they took a vote on whether or not to affirm that year's civil rights act and the measure narrowly failed.

There's also a lot of cultural baggage associated with the name. For the last 15 years or so, I've been attending churches in east coast urban centers that are affiliated with the SBC, but don't advertise it loudly partly because the typical culture of the SBC (i.e. formal dress, paternalistic, legalistic, culturally isolationist, fire & brimstone preaching, overtly conservative politics) is not the sort of culture one would find in those churches.

15. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,369
    Anglican
    Married
    That's part of what I was thinking of when writing my earlier post. The idea of changing the name began years ago, not just recently, and the first step was not to make a formal name change but to allow congregations to just stop identifying as SBC, even if they were. Now apparently, some think that the time is right to actually change the convention's name.

16. Hammster

+19,388
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Which was how many years ago now?

17. iluvatar5150

+15,796
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    How many years ago was it that they opened segregation academies?

How many years ago was it that the supreme court denied tax exempt status to those segregation academies?

Segregation academy - Wikipedia

18. Hammster

+19,388
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Yeah. How many years ago?

19. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+15,853
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    IOW, “So we Southern Baptists are going to stop being racist and to prove it we’re gonna keep doing the same old crap.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+15,853
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    A little Johnny Reb come lately? The last place racial barriers will break down are in evangelical churches in the South IMHO.