Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"Cultural Marxism" is just some made-up term that has no meaning.

If, by your definition, "cultural Marxism" means loving our Black neighbor as oneself, count me in.
That’s not what it means. And all terms are made up.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Cultural Marxism" is just some made-up term that has no meaning.

If, by your definition, "cultural Marxism" means loving our Black neighbor as oneself, count me in.

Black neighbor is just a made up term that has no meaning. If by Black neighbor you mean Sarah and Joshua Black why pick out that particular couple to love? Why not love every one of our neighbors?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If we allow ourselves to do so, we could see racism under every rock. So, why would they change only Southern? And if the word southern has the potential to remind someone about slavery, then perhaps we ought to use the word "lower" for every reference below Northern.

Are you familiar with the history of “southern baptists” and how we wound up with northern and southern branches instead if just “baptists”? If not, reading up on it may answer your question.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The truth is that the SBC is willing to do this in order to try to maintain status.

This is not a new idea and the recent riots are not the cause of discussions within the Southern Baptist Convention looking to change the name. Nor is the idea of "fellowship," etc.

For years, this has been under consideration; and the reason was that, in a time when churches, the SBC included, are losing members, it might help to make the name seem less regional. The hope has been that a new name will make a potential joiner think of this denomination as more important and nationwide in scope, especially to people who live somewhere other than in the American South.
My husband and I actually accidentally sat in on a meeting at a church we visited to change “Something Congregational Church” to “New Life Christian Fellowship Center”, or something. The congregation looked taken aback by the announcement, and displeased.

If you erase everything in hopes of pleasing everyone, you’re eventually left with almost nothing.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I actually accidentally sat in on a meeting at a church we visited to change “Something Congregational Church” to “New Life Christian Fellowship Center”, or something. The congregation looked taken aback by the announcement, and displeased.

If you erase everything in hopes of pleasing everyone, you’re eventually left with almost nothing.
And as you're probably aware, studies showed that after the change of name to "United Church of Christ," not only did membership continue to slip but people in general had no idea what the UCC was.

They had known what a Congregationalist was, but UCC just sounded like some' run of the mill' non-denominational effort.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Black neighbor is just a made up term that has no meaning. If by Black neighbor you mean Sarah and Joshua Black why pick out that particular couple to love? Why not love every one of our neighbors?
As you may know there are many Christians and non-Christians that do not adhere to that Commandment. Context is that many Black Americans have not been loved as neighbors by the majority.

Frankly, BLM is not something to me as an organization, but the concept is. The "All Lives Matter" is a disingenuous response, IMO.

And "cultural Marxism" is a wheelbarrow full of manure.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As you may know there are many Christians and non-Christians that do not adhere to that Commandment. Context is that many Black Americans have not been loved as neighbors by the majority.

Frankly, BLM is not something to me as an organization, but the concept is. The "All Lives Matter" is a disingenuous response, IMO.

And "cultural Marxism" is a wheelbarrow full of manure.

According to scripture, there is no black or white, no minority or majority. There are only individual people all unique and all equally loved by God and equally worthy of our neighborly love. Yet according to some everyone is just a representative of a power group. When one speaks of people as if they are just members of some group they are speaking in the patois of cultural Marxism. If you hate based upon group membership, if you love based upon group membership. if you assign blame or innocence based upon group membership, you are participating in cultural Marxism.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to scripture, there is no black or white, no minority or majority. There are only individual people all unique and all equally loved by God and equally worthy of our neighborly love. Yet according to some everyone is just a representative of a power group. When one speaks of people as if they are just members of some group they are speaking in the patois of cultural Marxism. If you hate based upon group membership, if you love based upon group membership. if you assign blame or innocence based upon group membership, you are participating in cultural Marxism.
Thank you for helping me phrase my response...
According to scripture, there is no black or white, no minority or majority. There are only individual people all unique and all equally loved by God and equally worthy of our neighborly love. Yet according to some everyone is just a representative of a power group. When one speaks of people as if they are just members of some group they are speaking in the patois of politically conservative Christianity. If you hate based upon group membership, if you love based upon group membership. if you assign blame or innocence based upon group membership, you are participating in cultural Christianity.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It was a dumb question given the context.
It has to do with this comment.
A little Johnny Reb come lately? The last place racial barriers will break down are in evangelical churches in the South IMHO.

So will a change in the name of the SBC make a difference?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The man who invented the beheading device changed his name to Guiltine...
Like that worked out for him.

A label doesn't matter...
To me, it's like Germany changing their name because of Hitler. Not really going to work. Besides... today if you are Jewish, Germany is a great place to work and live. They will do whatever it takes to make your life wonderful.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has to do with this comment.
Which was deadly accurate.

That is a good question. If real changes aren't made, it will not. If real changes happen, then the name change helps.

I have no doubt that many individual churches are on board. I stopped attending my church in 2016 because I tired of the Trump-promoting and some other issues. The final straw was in a small group --formerly known as Sunday School -- when I dared silence the room with a comment about the Church's inconsistency of the "outreach" to lesbians, gays, etc. i.e, "We love you but you are a horrible person and you are going to rot in Hell and you don't deserve to breath the air here."

Oddly, the "outreach" didn't amount to much. Cannot imagine why.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For those who don’t want to remain ignorant:

change-season-preparation-vegetable-garden-fresh-horse-manure-wheelbarrow-full-manure-vegetable-garden-125034019.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is a good question. If real changes aren't made, it will not. If real changes happen, then the name change helps.
Perhaps we should give the SBC more credit than that. For years now, the SBC has been active among black Christians. It is the SBC which welcomed into membership and financially assisted black congregations to get up and going when the more predictable conventions couldn't or wouldn't.

This is one reason for thinking that the name change idea does not come from a brand new sense, among Southern Baptists, of a need to start paying attention to "fellowship" or racial equality.

• Informative
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obviously you didn’t watch. Your opinion, then, is in that wheelbarrow.
I don't plan on watching an hour-long YouTube on what appears to be another right-wing conspiracy theory.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't plan on watching an hour-long YouTube on what appears to be another right-wing conspiracy theory.

You don’t need to watch it. But it shows that there is such a thing as cultural Marxism. You might call it something else. But that doesn’t mean that it’s not without definition.

Upvote 0