• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Progressives furious over Supreme Court Justice Alito comments

Discussion in 'Current News & Events (Articles Required)' started by civilwarbuff, Nov 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+5,428
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    I know you were joking but a lot of men don’t grow up because they think they are just entitled to control women’s lives and they refuse to actually take responsibility other than just ordering women around or oppressing them emotionally, financially or physically . I’ve seen it way too often and not just in my family. I’ve seen complete strangers do it openly and in public . I remember one about 2 years ago an abusive man got street justice when he decided he didn’t like something his wife said and he punched her knocking her down . Another man walked up to him and knocked him out . When he called the police nobody saw anything. There must have been about 15 people standing around but “nobody saw anything” . But they all saw him hit his wife and told the cops that

2. JimR-OCDS

JimR-OCDS God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love

+1,764
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    That was your experience which was NOT the norm where I grew up.

Hitting a woman, wife or not, was considered a cowardly act.

Husbands did not order their wives around as you experienced.

I guess I grew up in a better place than you, which seems to have been hell.

3. Brightmoon

+5,428
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    you would prefer that they hide in fear for their lives and safety like they used to? My late father was a ranting screaming homophobe . A male gay friend in high school almost died because he met someone who thought the way my father did . I had only thought that my father was over reacting over minor things ( he usually did) until that point. I saw where my fathers toxic beliefs lead and I didn’t like it. The fact that the Bible encourages this type of abuse doesn’t excuse it !

4. Brightmoon

+5,428
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    I grew up in an abusive home simply because my father was a patriarchal authoritarian nutcase. His basis for believing his selfish toxic behavior was acceptable was ultimately the Bible . Spare the rod and spoil the child . Women should be submissive. I’m sure you can remember some bible verse about mistreating gays . I refused to accept any of it once I realized that the Bible had been edited over the centuries .

Btw he never hit my mother but he was extremely emotionally abusive to her .

5. section9+1

section9+1 Well-Known Member

+1,129
    Christian
    Married
    Not every male that's opposed to homosexuality is your father. If you believe the bible encourages bad behavior then you are the one with the problem. Don't turn your problem into everyone else's.

6. Brightmoon

+5,428
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    I’m not , remember that I had a gay friend back in the day .And that was the late 60s . I actually didn’t care what my father thought about gays because I didn’t share his opinion about them . What made me become a supporter was realizing that my friend almost died for nothing

2 I’ve got a biology degree, human sexuality is much more complex than just black and white, male and female . The scientific community has understood this for at least the last 30 years . Abusing or restricting people over this is just cruel .

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  7. JimR-OCDS

JimR-OCDS God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love

+1,764
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    I don't recall any verses in the New Testament calling for the abuse of gays.

The Old Testament, which was written with an tribal theological mindset of the Israelites did call for death for homosexuals and adulterers. Jesus presented a different message.

In all, Christianity as all religions which survive, had to evolve. There are more and more people who are opening up to contemplative prayer, which brings them closer to God, who is the source of transforming grace.

People like your father, have an ego-identity attachment to their religion and defending it when question, has more to do with them defending their ego. The same happens in politics and even diets.

I'm a Catholic Christian and follow the teachings of men like Thomas Merton, Thomas Keating and today, Fr Richard Rohr. Also my wife and myself are "Discalced Carmelites, Secular. OCDS, and have followed the teachings of St Teresa of Avila and St John of the Cross. Of course I've been thrown out of Conservative Catholic forums in the past, but I see a transformation, which is slow, but coming. The conservatives there generally don't like Pope Francis.

Anyway, things aren't always as they seem.

God Bless !

8. section9+1

section9+1 Well-Known Member

+1,129
    Christian
    Married
    Abusing people over this is cruel. Drawing lines between right and wrong based upon the authority of scripture regarding this is biblical. Sometimes that results in a restriction. If you don't approve, that's your business. You don't need to. But then you are not the ultimate authority in this.

9. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+1,325
    Catholic
    Single
    i miss the 90's when people would open to have a debate/discussion to invalidate a comment or point of view, now it's all about whining about being offended.

10. civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,061
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    True, but when a person cites their own experience then proceeds to paint the entire picture with the same brush then that is a whole 'nother matter.......

11. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Contemplative Christian Supporter

+6,026
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    But that's what everybody else does, so why pick on her? :)

12. civilwarbuff

+6,061
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Book/chapter/verse please.....cuz I believe that statement is a huge load of garbage.....and walking perilously close to blasphemy.....

13. civilwarbuff

+6,061
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    I am not; I am just pointing out the incorrectness of it.

14. NotreDame

NotreDame Domer Supporter

+2,290
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    Does the Bible in fact encourage that “type of abuse”? Or maybe you are putting too much on the Bible?

15. NotreDame

NotreDame Domer Supporter

+2,290
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    Well a few points, it isn’t accurate to say the Bible “has been edited over the centuries.” Might there be some minor differences? Yes, but there is a body of evidence showing the Bible hasn’t incurred the “editing” you suggest.

Second, I’m sorry for the abuses your father perpetuated but it just may be the case your father twisted the Bible to justify his conduct, whereas the Bible did not in fact justify his actions.

16. Matt5

Matt5 Summary first, then the detail.

+67
    Switzerland
    Christian
    Married
    This intolerance of mostly Christians stems from the rise of equality. Equality means everybody the same and having the same stuff. There is no place for Christianity in a world of equal.

17. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ) Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,017
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Serious question to anyone who has an answer. How do you define "hate speech"?

18. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ) Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,017
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It is far more unloving to lie to an individual to make them feel more comfortable about their sinful lifestyle and watch them burn in hell because you didn't want to offend them. Note: this doesn't only apply to homosexuals.

19. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Contemplative Christian Supporter

+6,026
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    This is a really good question, especially now when a simple statement like "PCOS is a female-only health issue" is considered to be "hate speech" and can get you "cancelled" all over the internet.

20. Redwingfan9

Redwingfan9 Well-Known Member

+1,499
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    "Hate speech" is protected speech under the Constitution. The first amendment right of free speech applies even to those words people may find repugnant, distasteful and hateful. It is troubling that the left wants to banish words that it does not like. That works both ways, which is why the first amendment exists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.