Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so did he deny her because she's a Buddhist, or because she's a lesbian or because she's a lesbian Buddhist?
Probably both. No longer practing Catholicism, active lesbian & gay activist. I'm sure he knew what he was doing & why

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Probably both. No longer practing Catholicism, active lesbian & gay activist. I'm sure he knew what he was doing & why

This is how things appear now that we know more facts about what took place. That priest seems to have done a good job with handling the situation.

Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What my post was trying to say is that there is no way the priest could have known, if he met her for the first time and never heard of her before, there wasn't enough to deny her communion. We know what she's like, but we don't have any statement or evidence to say that he knew, definitively, that she was a practicing lesbian Buddhist who has something against the Church, without making an assumption on the word "lover." Because he probably did not know enough, he was acting out on a hunch, something he cannot do. It must be public and well known; a priest can't deny just because he feels the person is in a state of sin- he must know it and it must be publicly known.

The only way it can really work at this point if the priest already knew about her beforehand, which no one has yet to claim.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Because she is a gay activist & she saw an opportunity.

well michie, u are assuming that is why because that is what the well intended bloggers and article writers say.

They need to stop talking and we need to stop listening, IMO. The priest and/or his bishop should just tell every one what really happened.

But even still, we can't necessarily assume to know her reasons.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What my post was trying to say is that there is no way the priest could have known, if he met her for the first time and never heard of her before, there wasn't enough to deny her communion. We know what she's like, but we don't have any statement or evidence to say that he knew, definitively, that she was a practicing lesbian Buddhist who has something against the Church, without making an assumption on the word "lover." Because he probably did not know enough, he was acting out on a hunch, something he cannot do. It must be public and well known; a priest can't deny just because he feels the person is in a state of sin- he must know it and it must be publicly known.

The only way it can really work at this point if the priest already knew about her beforehand, which no one has yet to claim.
Family always works with the priest before a funeral. And often meet & speak with him when a loved one is ill. It is perfectly feasible he knew.

Besides, he did the right thing.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dunno, can a priest deny based on his own connecting of the dots? can a priest do that? assume a person is mocking the sacrament?
Being put in this position myself delivering communion I have discussed this with a priest. No priest wants to do this. They'd rather not know if someone is going to take communion unworthily. But if they do know... they cannot be an accomplice to that.

He knew.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i think it is kind of wild that we think we have a right to question a holy priest on his discernment of the worthiness of someone to recieve communion
he has his Judge and we are not Him

It is shameful and prejudice to judge anyone with out the facts. Scripture asks for witnesses before judgement and even the defendant has a chance. I agree that the priest should not have been criticized with so little information and I see that as prejudice against priests in general, as though priests are bad some how. As a Catholic, that is not something I can accept from myself or anyone who is Catholic because it is plain wrong.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Being put in this position myself delivering communion I have discussed this with a priest. No priest wants to do this. They'd rather not know if someone is going to take communion unworthily. But if they do know... they cannot be an accomplice to that.

He knew.

I agree but he should come out explain it all because she made it public.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have no problem with him denying communion to someone who was a practicing Buddhist and in an active lesbian relationship. I do have a concern at him not going to the grave site. I do think the woman made this and issue and evidence that is coming out looks to me like she timed it with the vote in Maryland on gay marriage and used her mothers funeral to make this an issue. Given her statements and other interviews I really believe this.

And I have buried over 20 relatives Catholic. Many times, in working with the family the priest will ask about communion and is everyone is alright confession wise and in a state of grace. This has become common since there are so many families who are spread out with children who have fallen away from the Church. So such a question is more common than not.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
that is probably why my husband's parents both didn't have Communion but a homily/service... well at least they (the siblings) didn't pretend they were something they clearly are not. practicing Catholics.

But the priest really should come out and explain himself, tell what happened, how he believes she used this for politics and explain the Church's protocall.

Upvote 0

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
i think it is kind of wild that we think we have a right to question a holy priest on his discernment of the worthiness of someone to recieve communion
he has his Judge and we are not Him
I agree. I was surprised to learn that Catholic priests don't have very much pastoral discretion.

In Christ,
Fr. John

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
that is probably why my husband's parents both didn't have Communion but a homily/service... well at least they (the siblings) didn't pretend they were something they clearly are not. practicing Catholics.

But the priest really should come out and explain himself, tell what happened, how he believes she used this for politics and explain the Church's protocall.

If the Diocese told him not to talk on it he can not. Not sure if that happened but I would guess so. Right away the diocese was apologetic to the woman. Now, as more evidence comes out that she is actually an avowed apostate to a non-Christian faith...we will see if they let him speak or issue a statement again. Who knows. But it is obvious she knew she should not go up for the Eucharist (she went to Catholic school and taught art at one) and that she had rejected the Catholic faith (stated publicly she was a Buddhist). But she went up anyway. If the priest knew of either her apostasy or her state of sin; he had every right to deny her Communion. Most priests I know would have told her before hand not to approach. I can not say if he did or did not. But either he did and she ignored it and/or she knew she should not and went up anyhow.

Reactions: Gwendolyn
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
well its my opinion that the silent treatment when accused, is not working out to good.

The masses of ppl can't know why the Church does what it does when they won't say it.

It really should not come from apologists and bloggers because thy are not objective and leave a bad taste in the mouths of many.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If the Diocese told him not to talk on it he can not. Not sure if that happened but I would guess so. Right away the diocese was apologetic to the woman. Now, as more evidence comes out that she is actually an avowed apostate to a non-Christian faith...we will see if they let him speak or issue a statement again. Who knows. But it is obvious she knew she should not go up for the Eucharist (she went to Catholic school and taught art at one) and that she had rejected the Catholic faith (stated publicly she was a Buddhist). But she went up anyway. If the priest knew of either her apostasy or her state of sin; he had every right to deny her Communion. Most priests I know would have told her before hand not to approach. I can not say if he did or did not. But either he did and she ignored it and/or she knew she should not and went up anyhow.

/thread.

All right, folks, show's over. Move on out.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
On a semi-related note, my dad once got a call from someone who said that he was a practicing Buddhist, but his dog died, and so he was wondering if he could receive communion.

My dad says that it's one of the stranger phone calls he's gotten as a priest.

Yah - really odd.

Because she is a gay activist & she saw an opportunity.

Thats what i have been saying.
If she didnt have a purpose - she would not have brought in the LGBT and media.

This is how things appear now that we know more facts about what took place. That priest seems to have done a good job with handling the situation.

:) I agree. He more than likely knew - but he cannot come out and say anything - it would be like gossiping against a person and it would go against Church policy.

Somehow they would have to figure out protocol in this regard how to explain why the priest had no other option.

I have no problem with him denying communion to someone who was a practicing Buddhist and in an active lesbian relationship. I do have a concern at him not going to the grave site. I do think the woman made this and issue and evidence that is coming out looks to me like she timed it with the vote in Maryland on gay marriage and used her mothers funeral to make this an issue. Given her statements and other interviews I really believe this.

And I have buried over 20 relatives Catholic. Many times, in working with the family the priest will ask about communion and is everyone is alright confession wise and in a state of grace. This has become common since there are so many families who are spread out with children who have fallen away from the Church. So such a question is more common than not.
I agree. Been saying she set this up. She had a motive - her actions say this loudly.
:wave:

Some witnesses say she had her lover of 20 years stand between them as Barbara took off.
She knew if he told her she could not go up - it would be in her hands - so she set it up so he would refuse her - which is his duty - and she could get sympathy towards the gay marriage act.

Seems like a whole of ploys are out against the Church - such as the 'student' speaking against Georgetown insurance for the HHS mandate. Still trying to figure out how college offers student insurance.
Another set up - indeed. Not to digress.
Just giving an example of how bad it is getting to attack the Church.

Upvote 0