Priest gets heat for denying lesbian Communion at mother's funeral

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Wrongful acts are always wrong, but thy may or may not result in a sin being committed. Sin is the stain on the conscience, not the activity.

Eating meat in Friday can result in a sin. A sin is not committed every time someone eats meat on a Friday in Lent.

I'm pretty much just making things up as I go, but it makes sense to me.

I called Father, who has his S.T.D. (no jokes, Mike) from the Angelicum, to verify and he stated what I thought, an act would be objectively sinful regardless of the culpability.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I called Father, who has his S.T.D. (no jokes, Mike) from the Angelicum, to verify and he stated what I thought, an act would be objectively sinful regardless of the culpability.

Sounds sketchy to me. I'll check with Canon. My Priest can beat up your Priest.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I am guessing MikeK was referring to Invincible Ignorance.

1793 If - on the contrary - the ignorance is invincible, or the moral subject is not responsible for his erroneous judgment, the evil committed by the person cannot be imputed to him. It remains no less an evil, a privation, a disorder. One must therefore work to correct the errors of moral conscience

If so, it is a matter of whether the person in commiting the sin is guilty or if the evil he/she commited is imputed to them. I hope we all agree that a sin is a sin. But, if a person has "invincible ignorance" will they go to Hell for it being they are not responsible wholely/partially for their sin? Will that sin be judged against them?

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Rhamiel, I am talking from real life experience, and perhaps the rest of you are talking theoretically.

I have seen people driven away from Catholicism by Pharisaical priest go to other parishes and experience healing, have the impediments to their marriages removed, seen spouses baptized, etc., etc.

I have never seen a single individual who was helped by a judgmental priest.

By denying the bereaved Communion, he won a skirmish and lost the war.

What a tactical error.

This kind of thought process makes it clear that you either don't know, or simply don't believe what either the bible or the Catholic Church teach about communion.

To partake in communion in such a state would bring judgment and punnishment on her. As Paul said, for this reason many in the Church in Corinth were sick or even dead, because they took communion unworthily, not discerning the body of Christ.

To give communion to a person in such a state would be a wanton act of cowardice and disregard for that person.

I grant you that it is entirely possible that the priest was mean about it, or handled it wrongly. I wasn't there I don't know. However, the right answer is certainly NOT to give her communion. Unless of course you actually don't care about her at all.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds sketchy to me. I'll check with Canon. My Priest can beat up your Priest.

I hope your priest isn't friends with Chuck Norris.

:D

This is something I hope to hear more on from you and I want to investigate further...

(42) 3 "If—on the contrary—the ignorance is invincible, or the moral subject is not responsible for his erroneous judgment, the evil committed by the person cannot be imputed to him. It remains no less an evil, a privation, a disorder. One must therefore work to correct the errors of moral conscience" (Catechism of the Catholic Church, n. 1793).
"It is possible that the evil done as a result of invincible ignorance or a non-culpable error of judgment may not be imputable to the agent; but even in this case it does not cease to be an evil, a disorder in relation to the truth about the good" (John Paul II, Enc. Veritatis Splendor, August 8, 1993, n. 63).
VADEMECUM FOR CONFESSORS

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I feel so bad for this priest. He has really taken a blow and the real victims are the priest, the Church and the truth.

Thank you much for the link. The Most Reverend Barry Knestout, is it? s a nut. No investigation and seems to be lie - uh prevaricating to boot. I believe this Priest, Fr. Guarnizo. May he be shown to be innocent of anything wrong with this stupid woman and her lover. God bless Father.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Canon law vs. anonymous voices?
At this point, it’s clear that Guarnizo was — to some degree — a controversial figure in the region before the Johnson episode, serving as a leader for conservative pro-life Catholics, in particular. This would make him a controversial priest to the Catholic left, which is a powerful force — to say the least — in Catholic affairs in Maryland and D.

Before getting exercised about the removal of Father Guarnizo, remember this: We don't have all the facts...
Catholic Culture readers are understandably concerned about the status of Father Marcel Guarnizo, the priest who has been placed on administrative leave by the Washington archdiocese after he denied Communion to a lesbian woman. While I fully share that concern...

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Canon law vs. anonymous voices?
At this point, it’s clear that Guarnizo was — to some degree — a controversial figure in the region before the Johnson episode, serving as a leader for conservative pro-life Catholics, in particular. This would make him a controversial priest to the Catholic left, which is a powerful force — to say the least — in Catholic affairs in Maryland and D.

Before getting exercised about the removal of Father Guarnizo, remember this: We don't have all the facts...
Catholic Culture readers are understandably concerned about the status of Father Marcel Guarnizo, the priest who has been placed on administrative leave by the Washington archdiocese after he denied Communion to a lesbian woman. While I fully share that concern...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My 7 year old daughter is approaching the time when she will be receiving her first Holy Communion. She's been patiently waiting her whole life for the moment that's coming up. When I went through a long period of backsliding, I abstained from Holy Communion for that whole long period until I finally repented. Everyone else has to go by the rules before receiving Holy Communion. So I don't know why gay activists think they should be the only ones who don't have to abide by the rules of the Church. People are denied Holy Communion all the time, but only the gay activists make a big stink about it when they are told "not yet".

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So I don't know why gay activists think they should be the only ones who don't have to abide by the rules of the Church.

We all have to abide by the rules, gay activists and Priests alike. In time, we might get the truth about what went down.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We all have to abide by the rules, gay activists and Priests alike. In time, we might get the truth about what went down.
The article, which was written by a gay activist, was totally one-sided, emotional, and condemning of the Church. It's obvious that the writer cared nothing about getting the facts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's Lent, admit your negligent error, repent and seek forgiveness. I'm ready to forgive you for failing to be a good steward of bandwidth, Michie.
I can't tell you how much that means to me. ^_^

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
AND now we have the priests story

Priest: removal from ministry was tied to communion incident :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

Her lover stood in his way so the priest could NOT speak to her after telling him she had a lover...moments before Mass
I AM still suspect she set this up.

So the priest was RIGHT in with holding.
Her reaction alone is a demonstration of the sins of pride, covetousness, and scandal - three of the biggest mortal sins. If she disagreed with the priest there's no reason why she should have gone to the media about it. Someone who is humble and ready to receive Holy Communion would not have reacted the way she did.

Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Her reaction alone is a demonstration of the sins of pride, covetousness, and scandal. If she disagreed with the priest there's no reason why she should have gone to the media about it. Someone who truly is humble and ready to receive Holy Communion would not have reacted the way she did.

The fact that she claims not to want to create a commotion kind of gave her away.

Upvote 0