Preterism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris†opher Paul

Based on a True Story
May 8, 2002
Centreville, VA
✟17,404.00
From my limited understanding, it involves the belief that the end-time prophecies have already occured. There is some reason to believe that, since a lot of the symbolism in Revelation is directly refering to the times in which the author was living. I haven't thought enough about it to have a real opinion, though. :)

Upvote 0
Souljah's close, but that's not it exactly...

...cause I believe that much "last days" prophecy was related to the last days of the Old Covenant, within a generation of Christ (as prophecied by Himself)...and, ironically, history verifies this view as having taken place during or prior to the destruction of Jesusalem in AD 70 when the Son of Man came into His power and, having ascended His throne in heaven, passed righteous judgment on the wicked and adluterous generation which rejected their messiah.

But this does not mean that I believe Christ has already returned for those who believe in Him. In fact, Paul admonishes people not to worry about that in an often misquoted section of scripture (2 Thess 2). The Bible tells us that when Christ comes at the end there will be a great trumpet blast that all will hear , and the dead in Christ will rise from their graves, and we will be caught up to meet Him in the air, and He will judge each man according to what he has done(matt 16:27). This idea is what's called post-tribulationism. But...even post-tribs accept that we are somewhat mid-trib also...because "in the world you will have trouble" as the Lord said. So...the prohpecied tribultion has occurred, the temple has been destoryed (if you don't believe me go to Jerusalem and check it out!) and now the only prophecy left is that of the coming of our Lord, after His Church has blanketed the earth (check out Dan 2:44-45 (in context v 24-47)), and Christ will then have put "all dominion, authority and power" beneath Him (1 Cor. 15:24)

But this view is not preterism .

Preterists takes it further...though I don't know how. I also would appreciate an explanation of it's Biblical attributes.

Peace to all who seek it,
<><

Upvote 0

Mike Beidler

Evolutionary Creationist
May 31, 2002
Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain
Visit site
✟7,786.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
Originally posted by Othniel
Souljah's close, but that's not it exactly...

...cause I believe that much "last days" prophecy was related to the last days of the Old Covenant, within a generation of Christ (as prophecied by Himself)...and, ironically, history verifies this view as having taken place during or prior to the destruction of Jesusalem in AD 70 when the Son of Man came into His power and, having ascended His throne in heaven, passed righteous judgment on the wicked and adluterous generation which rejected their messiah.

But this does not mean that I believe Christ has already returned for those who believe in Him. In fact, Paul admonishes people not to worry about that in an often misquoted section of scripture (2 Thess 2). The Bible tells us that when Christ comes at the end there will be a great trumpet blast that all will hear ,<><

If I may jump in here? No were in Revelation do is say the sound of the trumpets would be heard with the literal ear. And the Book of Revelation was fulfilled by AD 70.

Upvote 0

Justme

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2002
western prairies
Visit site
✟6,941.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Parousia70,

parousia70 said:
Boy It's Good to be back up and running!

The Lord indeed works in mysterious ways!

IN fact He is working mysteriouser and mysteriouser, don't you think.

That was a sad comuter problem, the site lost a pile of information.

Justme

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes it was and yes it did.

Thankfully, we have been given a fresh start so to speak. It's not every day that you get the gift of traveling 2 months "back in time".

I look forward to the continuing opportunity to share the truth of past fulfillment.

Agape,
P70

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
parousia70 said:
Yes it was and yes it did.

Thankfully, we have been given a fresh start so to speak. It's not every day that you get the gift of traveling 2 months "back in time".

I look forward to the continuing opportunity to share the truth of past fulfillment.

Agape,
P70

Excuse me p70, aren't you a Preterist? If so you need to read the Urgent message at the beginning of this forum. No Preterists are allowed to post here.

:pink:

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
4Jesus said:
Excuse me p70, aren't you a Preterist? If so you need to read the Urgent message at the beginning of this forum. No Preterists are allowed to post here.

Erwin's message seems to allow those who consider themselves Christians, even if they do not accept all on the Nicaean Creed to post in this forum. This includes Unitarians, Arians, and Full Preterists, and others.

Upvote 0

Justme

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2002
western prairies
Visit site
✟6,941.00
Faith
Christian
Hi all,

The opening post was asking about 'Preterism'. It seems odd to forbid 'preterists' to answer. Would there be any one more qualified than an actual preterist to outline what a preterist is?

Speaking of what a preterist is... is a preterist someone who says 1 Cor 15 is totally over or is a preterist a person who says that the raising of the dead is an ongoing affair?Or other?I have checked Preterist Planet and such and it is never totally cut and dried.

A clearer way of putting it, is when will I be raised...to Heaven or Hell or halfway or wherever I'm going?

Justme

Upvote 0
parousia70 said:
Here's a link to a course outline from a class on preterism at Jerry Fallwells Liberty University.

It is an excellent overview of what preterism is and why it is espoused:

Jerry Fallwells Liberty U. preterism course outline

I tried the link and all I got was the home page of the university. When I did a search for the subject of Preterism, all I got was 0 documents were found on the subject.

Preterism is a Jesuit invention not a Protestant Reformed teaching. Preterism was first advanced in 1604 by Jesuit Luis de Alcasar in his book "Vestigatio Arcani Sensus in Apocalypsi" to destroy the Reformed Protestant teaching that the papacy was Mystery Babylon, the Great harlot and the historical Antichrist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Philip said:
Erwin's message seems to allow those who consider themselves Christians, even if they do not accept all on the Nicaean Creed to post in this forum. This includes Unitarians, Arians, and Full Preterists, and others.

No it doesn't. People excluded from this site are, (in Erwins own words) "Christians" who are also Preterists.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
4Jesus,
Actually, if you look closley to the Erwins post, The "unorthodox theological doctrines" section is the ONLY place on CF where Full preterism is allowed to be espoused.

Full Preterists are indeed welcome to post anywhere, but the must keep views EXCLUSIVE to full preterism confined to THIS section.

So sit back and enjoy this invigorating subject!

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This forum is for the discussion of doctrines held by people who are members of churches and denominations that do not fall within conventional mainstream evangelical Christianity - basically people who hold beliefs;that do not fall within the definition of Christianity as laid out in our Forum Rules, which is based on the Nicene Creed. These people will not be allowed to post in our Christian-only forums.

Examples of these people who fall within this category are "Christians" who are also Preterist, "Christians" who reject the Trinitarian nature of God, or "Christians" who are Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses, and other denominations considered cults or sects by mainstream Christianity.

Here Erwin's post on the matter. While Preterists may not post in Christian-Only forums (or, at least, may not post preterist views there), they are explicitly included among those who may post here.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Justme said:
Hi all,

The opening post was asking about 'Preterism'. It seems odd to forbid 'preterists' to answer. Would there be any one more qualified than an actual preterist to outline what a preterist is?

Speaking of what a preterist is... is a preterist someone who says 1 Cor 15 is totally over or is a preterist a person who says that the raising of the dead is an ongoing affair?Or other?I have checked Preterist Planet and such and it is never totally cut and dried.

A clearer way of putting it, is when will I be raised...to Heaven or Hell or halfway or wherever I'm going?

Justme

Good questions Justme, and there is really is no "unified stance" within "preterists" about that, Just as there is no "Unified stance" among futurists about pre - mid- post- etc....

I personally believe that The raising of the Dead is ongoing, for you have to be first dead to be raised.
"Resurrection of the Living" is simply not taught in scripture, nor is "Resurrection of the Flesh".

I believe the dead were raised out of Hades in 70AD and from then on, nobody "sleeps" anymore when they die, but are either Immediatly clothed in their resurrection bodies and ushered into heaven, or immediatly Judged and cast into the lake of fire. Since 70AD, the wait is over.

Just as Christ's one time sacrifice on the cross continues to have eternal significance and eternal reach and is effective throughout all time, so too the "one time" resurrection in 70 continues to have eternal significance, reach and effectivity.

Once, for all time.
Agape,
p70

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
4Jesus said:
No it doesn't. People excluded from this site are, (in Erwins own words) "Christians" who are also Preterists.

Are you calling me a "Christian" who is also preterist?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.