Pretend I'm an atheist. How would you convert me?

Kutte

Dec 30, 2007
USA
✟31,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Green

The title says it all.

I went to an atheist forum to preach about God and failed miserably. I don't know if they were closed-minded or I was just too much of an idiot to persuade someone of anything. Either way, I want to be someone who is good at debating on the side of my God.

So how would you approach such a situation? What would you tell me to convince me out of my atheism?

Let's say, for example, that I believe in evolution instead of creationism. What would you tell me? (That's just one example of many. Don't focus on it, please.)

Hi Bee_Brian,
Good topic. One cannot convince an atheist with biblical scripture references. The only way I see it is to apply sensible sounding arguments. For instance one could point out that creation from indifferent matter on purpose is real. Matter/energy as such does not create anything on purpose by itself, ergo, it requires an inspired, self-conscious being to do so. Ants have that ability, humans too of course on a much higher level than ants. Who is to say that we humans are on top of the ladder with abilities to be creative on purpose?
God bless

Upvote 0

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a question to all of you... (I'm the OP by the way)

I attempted this thing again at another atheist forum and, again, failed miserably. But it definitely was a more serious attempt on my part. Can I link you all the discussion? Or is that against the rules here?

I wanna know where I went wrong.

Upvote 0

Richard161171

May 7, 2017
london
✟16,467.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

The title says it all.

I went to an atheist forum to preach about God and failed miserably. I don't know if they were closed-minded or I was just too much of an idiot to persuade someone of anything. Either way, I want to be someone who is good at debating on the side of my God.

So how would you approach such a situation? What would you tell me to convince me out of my atheism?

Let's say, for example, that I believe in evolution instead of creationism. What would you tell me? (That's just one example of many. Don't focus on it, please.)
I would tell you God loves you and that The Heavenly Father is very patient and will wait for you.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,070.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Rambot
I have a novel idea. How about you do what you want and I'll do what I want. I'm not telling anyone else what to do and I am not one for being on the defensive very long. I simply responded to the question. If you take offense, that's too bad, but I'm not interested in hearing about it.
My side tof the conversatin has been about trying to understand your logic. You sont need to give up

Upvote 0

Honoluluwindow

Sep 2, 2016
Hawaii
✟17,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Arguing will not work on anyone no matter what their preconceived philosophical prejudice is.

What lifted a real heavy burden from my mind was recognition of what scripture teaches actually causes one to become saved. The Bible teaches that the gospel is like a seed planted that once sown will begin to take on a life of its own. Therefore we as fruitful believers are to sow that seed and water it. The seed is not Christian apologetics or evolutionary arguments. The seed is the clear message that Christ came to save sinners by dying a penal substitutionary death for man and was buried and rose again on the third day.

The very moment a person believes this message they have eternal life.

Our job is to clarify the difference between our faith from every other belief system in our world. That it is a free gift offer that can be owned by mere faith. That sin was punished, law was satisfied and that this unique story of how the God of Abraham can now remain just and righteous while justifying sinful men because He met our need, He paid the penalty for our sin on our behalf. We can now walk out free men and women and can say praise you God I am no longer guilty before you and I no longer stand unrighteous I am willing to follow you to where you would send me, even to the ends of the earth.

Once that point has been made, they're on their own. Screw em. Let the next guy water and so forth and if God has chosen those individuals then that seed will spring to new life.

Upvote 0

Heaven's Child

Sep 15, 2016
california
✟18,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My pastor use to tell me that " your life might be the only bible some people may read." I agree! So. just let your light shine. When the Lord is ready, he'll give the increase. I'm not saying don't try to minister to them. If you do, make sure you are being led by the Spirit and not on your own. When we do it, we mess things up. But, when the Lord is in it, you will know, because an increase will follow.

Upvote 0

TWHladyinLV

May 9, 2017
Las Vegas
✟7,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, only under-educated, delusional fools do not believe in evolution, because they do not believe anything they do not understand.
That depends on the definition of evolution. Plus I didn't say that "no" Christians believe in evolution, I've met many who do not. And then everywhere in between

Upvote 0

TWHladyinLV

May 9, 2017
Las Vegas
✟7,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And vice versa.
Well I've met many atheists who became Christians, but have never once met a Christian who turned athiest. Not a real Christian anyway. And speaking of that, how would that work? I mean, if you truly accepted Jesus into your heart as your savior - then something happens and all of a sudden you say "I'm an athiest", because God is not a liar. God doesn't accept a person into his own and then just because the person has a time of doubt, forsakes them? I've been a Christian all my life, but I went through a period of doubt for several years. If I had died during that period, would God have rejected me, turned his back on me? I don't think so. If God was fickle in that way, there wouldn't be very many Christians in the world

Upvote 0

TWHladyinLV

May 9, 2017
Las Vegas
✟7,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, regarding of the evidence I suggested, I think it's self explanatory as you watch it. I started researching this topic so that I can argue and try to convert some friends of mine. At that time, I didn't had enough background in knowing my faith comparing to what I am currently now (I don't say I know everything up and down but it's still decent). I mean, I've read stuff that I posted here, watched videos I posted and that itself made my faith even stronger than it was. I'm still not expirienced regarding this stuff, still growing in my faith and I think, even if you exclude evidence I listed, I think that there is plenty more to find. Only "debatable" issue by my opinion on evidence I listed is the testimonies, but also, regarding how much of it is available and listening to people saying it, their emotion, expressions, I'd doubt possibility that they are lying.
I'm pleasantly surprised at your reasoning coming from a young person! Its very encouraging!
I agree and have mentioned on this thread that ALL Christians should take a course or courses in apologetics. As in the political arena of ideas it's a MUST to be able to defend your position on any topic, but especially on your faith in God! I've read through most all of these replies and I cannot fathom that Christians seem unable to verbalized why they believe!
I'm also very involved in politics as you may have guessed, since the beginning of 2016 I have argued and won my position on many ideas dealing with politics and morality. I was also berated by Christians!
But as I stated, you will have a big influence on many people in your life, you remind me of my husband who studied at a very young age Christian apologetics's and American Constitutional law. He's an engineer, and has a keen brain for thinking outside the box as it were. He has taught me a LOT! And he has over the years made many converts to Christianity as I'm sure you will also. Of course the Holy Spirit uses him, but this is his life's passion. We desperately need many more young people like yourself in order to keep and defend our country and our faith!

Upvote 0

TWHladyinLV

May 9, 2017
Las Vegas
✟7,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a question to all of you... (I'm the OP by the way)

I attempted this thing again at another atheist forum and, again, failed miserably. But it definitely was a more serious attempt on my part. Can I link you all the discussion? Or is that against the rules here?

I wanna know where I went wrong.
I'd like to see the thread you were on and what was said by all parties. I enjoy a challenge and I've been sharpening my apologetics's skills.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fhaoipteh

May 9, 2017
Preston
✟8,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we get too bogged down in facts/beliefs.
I would say, God loves me and He loves you.
He wants us to love one another and live a loving and civilised life.
Such words will no doubt raise a snigger, but they lodge in the mind
and are recalled later, when alone and that is when the seed grows.
You do not need to win the argument, just scatter the seeds and be happy.
God is the one who waters the seed and reaps the harvest.
Live your life as an example of what it is to know God loves you.

Upvote 0

Fhaoipteh

May 9, 2017
Preston
✟8,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alternatively; try LIFE insurance;
If I do not believe in God, and there is no God, no problem.
If I believe in God, and there is no God, then I live a better life.
If I believe in God and there is a God, the I live on and am happy.
BUT if I do not believe in God and there is a God, then I have lost my life.
It really safest option to believe.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Like I said in my post, I was drawn into the debate thinking the atheist was earnestly looking for the truth about Christianity. I simply gave my best answer based on my Christian experience and on my understanding of scripture relating to the atheist's question. I soon discovered that the atheist totally rejects any truth from scripture.
I allowed myself to become her prey out of my ignorance of their, atheists, motives in posing such questions. I was slow to realize that she was not interested in my Christian "experience," which she called circular reasoning, therefore after several exchanges I saw that I needed to walk away from the debate.
That is what I said earlier. Many times Christians think they are leading an atheist to Christ only to find out that the atheist has their own agenda to lead the Christian away from Christ and convert them to becoming an atheist or at the very least to destroy their faith.

We are to be as gentle as doves, but as smart as serpents.

God's people do not need to do dual with atheists unless they are very, very strong in their faith. It is a game to them.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That icon is NOT glorifying to God. If you want to represent God than represent what a Christian is.

Do you see any icons on CF (maybe one or two) like that that represent us? Or our Lord?

I'm not trying to put you down, just think about if what you are portraying to them is a clear and specific picture of what Christianity is and who our Savior is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I personally would never debate an atheist on a forum because it is not a good communication medium for anything spiritual.

God tells us straight out that those who are not under the Holy Spirit do not understand spiritual things.

If you are in person, a person can hear spiritual things in your words and your non-verbal communication.

Trying to explain spiritual things to someone who doesn't know you at all, using writing as a medium to communicate is pretty futile.

I think they will take more from most of us than we give to them. I DO NOT recommend it.

People believed in Jesus because they saw Jesus, heard and saw Him speak, saw how He lived His life. Heard the love and concern in His voice.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe God is in the business of stuffing heaven with as many people as he can before time runs out. God is a recruiter. He is only looking for the right ones. No culls can apply. That being said, I believe salvation is potentially available to all. We are all sinners who need a savior, but we are not all fit to be saved.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I do not believe God is in the business of stuffing heaven with as many people as he can before time runs out. God is a recruiter. He is only looking for the right ones. No culls can apply. That being said, I believe salvation is potentially available to all. We are all sinners who need a savior, but we are not all fit to be saved.
Disagree.

God wants the coffers to be full. God loves each of us individually and I in no way think that God would love more than anything if every single person alive at this moment would turn to Him and accept His free gift of grace.

When Christ creates a new creature (Romans 4, 5, 6) and writes His Word on a saved person's heart, God is setting that person at that moment apart for Himself.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a potential possibility that I could go to college and eventually become a brain surgeon. But I don't see it happening because I have no intention of doing so. If anyone tried to persuade me I would resist. There's a thing called repentance. And all the ifs in the world make no difference.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well I've met many atheists who became Christians, but have never once met a Christian who turned athiest. Not a real Christian anyway. And speaking of that, how would that work? I mean, if you truly accepted Jesus into your heart as your savior - then something happens and all of a sudden you say "I'm an athiest", because God is not a liar. God doesn't accept a person into his own and then just because the person has a time of doubt, forsakes them? I've been a Christian all my life, but I went through a period of doubt for several years. If I had died during that period, would God have rejected me, turned his back on me? I don't think so. If God was fickle in that way, there wouldn't be very many Christians in the world

The old 'No True Scotsman' fallacy.

Upvote 0