Pretend I'm an atheist. How would you convert me?

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alternatively; try LIFE insurance;
If I do not believe in God, and there is no God, no problem.
If I believe in God, and there is no God, then I live a better life.
If I believe in God and there is a God, the I live on and am happy.
BUT if I do not believe in God and there is a God, then I have lost my life.
It really safest option to believe.

It's called Pascal's Wager.

Upvote 0

FrankDux

Dec 12, 2016
USA
✟14,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'd start by pointing out that what you believe you are in disbelief of is probably incorrect to begin with and gained from religious people who claim to have all the answers but are usually wrong about most things they claim

I would throw your entire world into conflict if you let me

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,270.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This strikes me as being an odd thread. The assumption is that I, or any other person, can convert another person. That, actually, is God's work, not ours. We may try to persuade another person and bring him to repentance (literally, a change of mind), but that hardly results in genuine conversion. Judas had a very serious change of mind after betraying Jesus Christ, but the result was not conversion, but suicide. Peter, on the other hand, had the opposite experience. So, why the difference? Was Peter persuaded better than Judas? i think not.

Upvote 0

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I personally would never debate an atheist on a forum because it is not a good communication medium for anything spiritual.

God tells us straight out that those who are not under the Holy Spirit do not understand spiritual things.

If you are in person, a person can hear spiritual things in your words and your non-verbal communication.

Trying to explain spiritual things to someone who doesn't know you at all, using writing as a medium to communicate is pretty futile.

I think they will take more from most of us than we give to them. I DO NOT recommend it.

People believed in Jesus because they saw Jesus, heard and saw Him speak, saw how He lived His life. Heard the love and concern in His voice.
Personally I wouldn't "debate" an atheist or agnostic, period. In my experience, when a atheist is confronted by a Christian in particular directly, they immediately raise their shields. And by shields I'm talking about their preconceived notion of what a Christian is based on the media, popular culture, etc... Typically this is a parody of what Christianity really is, based on a few outliers. This "shield" immediately pigeon holes anyone confronting them into that preconceived idea of what Christians are and overrides any further attempt at discourse. You'd be as equally well served trying to convert your bedroom wall at that point.

Rather IMO the better way to deal with the situation is to simply talk with them in generalities without mentioning Christianity, be an example to them as a person and Christian, etc... Then, when the time is right, you might bring up that you're Christian. I've found this can be quite disarming even to the most hardened atheist. I personally used this with both a very anti-Christian friend and my militantly atheist aunt and uncle. Neither had any idea I was Christian, but have known me for a long time and know who I am... and in the context of a discussion that generalizing about Christians based on those preconceived notions I was able to deflate that balloon by mentioning I was Christian. With my aunt and uncle in particular I was then able to have a somewhat productive discussion.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

The title says it all.

I went to an atheist forum to preach about God and failed miserably. I don't know if they were closed-minded or I was just too much of an idiot to persuade someone of anything. Either way, I want to be someone who is good at debating on the side of my God.

So how would you approach such a situation? What would you tell me to convince me out of my atheism?

Let's say, for example, that I believe in evolution instead of creationism. What would you tell me? (That's just one example of many. Don't focus on it, please.)

You cant convert ANYONE. That is the job of the Holy Spirit. You either sow or reap and in some instances, you do both. But your words (especially to complete strangers) is a MASSIVE waste of time. The most effective way to witness is the testimony of your life that people SEE in how you live your life on a daily basis.

Yeshua did not sup, drink and hang out with sinners and then accuse them and tell them they are going to hell. HE SHOWED LOVE and MERCY.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Personally I wouldn't "debate" an atheist or agnostic, period. In my experience, when a atheist is confronted by a Christian in particular directly, they immediately raise their shields. And by shields I'm talking about their preconceived notion of what a Christian is based on the media, popular culture, etc... Typically this is a parody of what Christianity really is, based on a few outliers. This "shield" immediately pigeon holes anyone confronting them into that preconceived idea of what Christians are and overrides any further attempt at discourse. You'd be as equally well served trying to convert your bedroom wall at that point.

Rather IMO the better way to deal with the situation is to simply talk with them in generalities without mentioning Christianity, be an example to them as a person and Christian, etc... Then, when the time is right, you might bring up that you're Christian. I've found this can be quite disarming even to the most hardened atheist. I personally used this with both a very anti-Christian friend and my militantly atheist aunt and uncle. Neither had any idea I was Christian, but have known me for a long time and know who I am... and in the context of a discussion that generalizing about Christians based on those preconceived notions I was able to deflate that balloon by mentioning I was Christian. With my aunt and uncle in particular I was then able to have a somewhat productive discussion.
Well, If I knew for sure someone was an athiest, I would have to mention God. We are called to preach the Gospel, the Good News. I don't want any atheist going to hell because I didn't warn them. What they choose to do then, is up to them.

I would not back down fearing they would not listen. I am the messenger, they need to heed the message and I'm not going to back down about my faith to placate anyone. The ball at some point is in their court.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Marvin Knox
Upvote 0

Revealing Times

Jun 15, 2016
Clanton Alabama
✟108,106.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

The title says it all.

I went to an atheist forum to preach about God and failed miserably. I don't know if they were closed-minded or I was just too much of an idiot to persuade someone of anything. Either way, I want to be someone who is good at debating on the side of my God.

So how would you approach such a situation? What would you tell me to convince me out of my atheism?

Let's say, for example, that I believe in evolution instead of creationism. What would you tell me? (That's just one example of many. Don't focus on it, please.)

Explain that each man must come to Christ via FAITH, there is no other way, and Faith comes by hearing the word of God. Then tell them Jesus said that any man that seeks God with all of their heart will find him. So if you want to find God, you must SEEK HIM with all your heart and you WILL find Him. Otherwise you have no hope, and no one can convince you.

Abraham was considered as Righteous, because he believed God. I can't believe for you nor convince you with the carnal mind thing you have going on, its impossible, unless a person wants to know God. So either you seek Him, or you will spend eternity separated from God. Its your choice, not mine.

It's your soul at risk, no one else's. If you knew you could see your mom/dad/kids for eternity, wouldn't you at least give it a shot? Why not try for a month or two, just privately ask God in your own time/your own small room, God, reveal yourself to me if you are real, I am going to read your book/Bible and seek you in prayer, please reveal yourself to me if you exist. Then tell them, you don't have to go to Church to meet God, but if you meet God you will then want to go to Church.

Just try it, remember. You are promised nothing with your belief, but LIFE EVER AFTER with Christ Jesus............Seek him out and humble yourself, and HE WILL REVEAL Himself to you my friend.

This is your best shot.........they love mocking others beliefs, you have to reverse it and say, its YOUR SOUL, not mine brother.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jether
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can share them of this, "and whosoever was not found in the Book of Life was cast into the “Lake of Fire”(Rev. 20:14-15) and that "there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matt. 8:12).

Not likely to convince someone who doesn't accept the Bible as the word of a God that they don't believe exists.

Or did you intend to evoke Pascal's wager? Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

JGHorton

Retired and in Ministry - ucanknowthetruth.com
Jul 13, 2011
✟10,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The title says it all.

People have many reasons for rejecting the inborn knowledge of God, but are "without excuse" in God's eyes (Rom. 1:18-20). In short, nobody is 'argued' into the Kingdom of God, but many, if not all (we were all once 'atheists'), first see with their eyes and reason with their minds.

Therefore, my first step (over 35+ years in ministry) in discussing faith, God and Christ with an atheist, is to ask or find-out, "What is the basis by which you will accept something/anything as true?" (aka: "What is your truth standard?"). If they are honest and open, they will soon discover that they have no real basis for many of the things they claim to believe or disbelieve.

Then, one can approach the Bible/Scripture on the basis of empirical evidence ... of which there is a considerable amount: Archaeological, Literary, Prophetic, Scientific, Life Change (One's own irrefutable testimony), Mathematical, etc.. -- After spending a lot of time on online forums being attacked by atheists, I wrote a book titled: "You Can Know the Truth" - presenting the facts surrounding the Bible (outside of the Bible). This is available on Amazon and presented on my website: UCanKnowtheTruth.com).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The title says it all.
I tend to aproach it from the fact that the most universally subscibed to law of the physical universe is the fact that out of nothing - nothing can come. (("Nihil fit ex nihilo" is the famous Latin saying.)

Since the physical universe is something and not nothing (pinch youself and see if it aint:)) - it could not have come from nothing.

Since the universe could not create itself (a logical contradiction) it must have been created by something outside of itself.

Having established that there has to be a "spiritual" realm of some sort for the physical universe to have been created - we are on our way to discussing spiritual things i.e. tings outside of the universe as we know it (assuming they really do want to discuss the subject at all).

If they will not make the quantem leap from the physical to the spirititual - there is no sense in discussing the subject of God with them at all IMO.

Of course when faced with that concept some might try to argue for the eternal existence of the universe. But fortunately that is an arguement that most scientists (atheists or not) would not argue for.

If they do insist on that untenable concept then one could transition to the concept of God without much trouble because they have already made the leap to the concept of "eternity" ---- and that's our turf as it were.

My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I tend to aproach it from the fact that the most universally subscibed to law of the physical universe is the fact that out of nothing - nothing can come. (("Nihil fit ex nihilo" is the famous Latin saying.)

Since the physical universe is something and not nothing (pinch youself and see if it aint:)) - it could not have come from nothing.

Good point.

"the story" of the atheist is that from nothing comes rabbits, birds, horses, and people.

Not a very "scientific story" and no lab on the planet can reproduce/test/confirm it.

Upvote 0

PeopleLove

Feb 20, 2017
Texas
✟8,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I think the best way to 'deal' with the hurdle of ministering to non-believers is prayer. Pray for them, pray for opening and clearing of spiritual oppositions, and pray for yourself, and then talk to them. I think the Holy Spirit will speak to you to guide both of you but often we have to be in daily prayer to hear the promptings of the Father's Spirit of Truth which proceeds from Him.

You have to go in with a quiver of arrows at the ready.

Many atheists NEED to question Christianity. There are underlying personal issues. They have a personal experience with church abuse or maybe they are in sexual sin and need prayer.

Many people are troubled in faith mistakenly believing that God is sending most people to hell. It is important to argue that God is saving most people. Jesus came to "save the world" and "God's command is eternal life."

John 12:47-50 "47 If anyone hears My sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day. For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. 50 I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.”

Saucy made a good point that we can just live as a Christian.
I tried to talk to him about God, but he was never interested. But when I started going and living the Christian life, it started to change him too.
When we give of ourselves, when we serve others, when we serve the poor, it will heal in their mind any of the abuses of religion on this fallen planet.

You can also try to open them to receiving our King Jesus, the Christ, the Son of God by approaching it scientifically because at the core what atheists believe is very faith based.

1. The big bang theory is solely based on the bending of light as it travels from galaxies billions of light years away. Just as the doppler effect makes sound bend as cars drive past, the light from galaxies billions of years old, is slightly stretched away from us. Just as a car's speed is measured by a laser, every galaxy is moving away from us. Or so it appears. But we also see light bending all the time around dense object in space, search gravitational lensing. Also time changes with high gravity, it accelerates. So maybe in the vacuum of space there is so little gravity that light slows down, or maybe the infinite mass of an infinite universe can pull at light in all directions just as with gravitational lensing.
  2. Also search about Young's double slit experiment of quantum physics. Simply looking at an electron changes it. A electron behaves as a wave of potentials, if you could shoot just one electron at a board with two parallel slits. Through the two slits appears a wave pattern on the other side that looks alot like ripples in a pool of water. But if you seek to measure that electron going through one or both slits with an instrument it will behave as a particle. (As if the wave of potentials condensed into a single point) And that is part of the mystery of mathematics of electrons to this very day (sometimes its a wave, sometimes its a particle). Quantum physics is endless speculation or perhaps rather an endless wall of OBSERVATIONS which we attempt to dig into with clever attempts of measuring things beyond small.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The title says it all.

I wouldn't. Only God can convert someone's heart to Himself. Most atheists have heard of Christianity and know the basic beliefs of the religion. They don't believe in God. You can't convince anyone that God is real if they have no experience of Him. Your job is to pray and live by example.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

The title says it all.

I wouldn't try and convert you. That is the job of the Holy Spirit. Our job is to go and make disciples and tell people what Jesus commanded. Once that is done, the Holy Spirit steps in and convinces of sin, righteousness, and judgment.

If he doesn't do that the atheist has not got a hope. Neither has anyone else. Atheists are no one special. Like other non-beleivers, they are deluded and prefer to believe lies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Most of us understand that only God can convince and convert a stubborn mind - be it Richard Dawkins, Stephen Hawking, or Saul of Tarsus.

But we are still called to present the gospel to unbelievers even if they stone us for it.

Praying for them first and during is, of course, the Christian thing to do.

Not wanting to open a can of worms here, at least not in a rancorous way, but I sometimes find it interesting that those who rail the hardest against any kind of election , special calling, or irresistable grace on behalf of anyone by a supposedly nuetral and hands off God are also numbered among those who rightly point to the need for the special intervention of God on behalf of those we pray for.

No one prays "let Stephen Hawking believe on You Lord for salvation". "But, whatever You do, don't You dare intervene by Your Holy Spirit in some special way on his behalf where You have not done so with another person on earth".

I'm thinking that such a prayer was never uttered on earth or heard in Heaven.

Yes - anyone with a smattering of Biblical theology understands both that we are told to preach the gospel in season and out of season and pray that God Himself will provide the increase and ultimately receive the glory in any conversion.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who freely rejects the gospel of Christ should be allowed to do so. If you want to pray for them, etc. that's your business. We are supposed to evangelize, but if we are rejected, shake the dust of them off your feet and leave them behind and move on to others. There is no expectation to make them into a permanent mission objective.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who freely rejects the gospel of Christ should be allowed to do so. If you want to pray for them, etc. that's your business. We are supposed to evangelize, but if we are rejected, shake the dust of them off your feet and leave them behind and move on to others. There is no expectation to make them into a permanent mission objective.

Upvote 0

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, If I knew for sure someone was an athiest, I would have to mention God. We are called to preach the Gospel, the Good News. I don't want any atheist going to hell because I didn't warn them. What they choose to do then, is up to them.

I would not back down fearing they would not listen. I am the messenger, they need to heed the message and I'm not going to back down about my faith to placate anyone. The ball at some point is in their court.
I'm not talking backing down for "fear" they would not listen. I know they would not listen if you tried preaching to them directly.

I'm talking about preaching the gospel to them in a subtle ways, particularly at first, so there is hope they might eventually listen. The direct approach to preaching the gospel is not the only way.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

You say that an atheist raises his shields when an atheist tries to debate him. But would you do any different if an atheist tried to debate you? You are absolutely correct in saying that there are better ways.
That is why I said before that love is the key, not debate.

Upvote 0