Pretend I'm an atheist. How would you convert me?

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The title says it all.

I went to an atheist forum to preach about God and failed miserably. I don't know if they were closed-minded or I was just too much of an idiot to persuade someone of anything. Either way, I want to be someone who is good at debating on the side of my God.

So how would you approach such a situation? What would you tell me to convince me out of my atheism?

Let's say, for example, that I believe in evolution instead of creationism. What would you tell me? (That's just one example of many. Don't focus on it, please.)

introverteen

Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Spirit
✟46,033.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

The title says it all.

I went to an atheist forum to preach about God and failed miserably. I don't know if they were closed-minded or I was just too much of an idiot to persuade someone of anything. Either way, I want to be someone who is good at debating on the side of my God.

So how would you approach such a situation? What would you tell me to convince me out of my atheism?

Let's say, for example, that I believe in evolution instead of creationism. What would you tell me? (That's just one example of many. Don't focus on it, please.)

I hope you receive plenty of replies from mature believers but my two cents worth is WE humans do not convert anyone only the HOLY SPIRIT can convert after GOD THE FATHER has chosen to hover over the unbeliever. We can spend years talking to brick walls becoming disheartened over it but GOD will have compassion on those HE chooses and not everyone is chosen.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

The title says it all.

I am the worst evangelist. :( All I can do okay is offer rides to my atheist/agnostic friends to church. Only they live opposite ways so I'm like aaah what if they both wanted to go and I can only drive one person anyway?

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I hope you receive plenty of replies from mature believers but my two cents worth is WE humans do not convert anyone only the HOLY SPIRIT can convert after GOD THE FATHER has chosen to hover over the unbeliever. We can spend years talking to brick walls becoming disheartened over it but GOD will have compassion on those HE chooses and not everyone is chosen.

Obviously we can't save people but like how would you share the gospel, or evangelise may be a restatement of the question. Like pretend the OP was an atheist how do you 1) defend your faith 2) witness the truth of the gospel?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if they were closed-minded or I was just too much of an idiot to persuade someone of anything.

Of course they are close minded. Bless you for trying, but you may be trying the impossible, all depending on the Atheist.

But maybe someone can give you what you ask for, in order to at least give you the best possible chance at success for what it may be worth.

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I Cor 2:4
4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
Now I was about to say the same thing.
but looks like this young lady said all that needed to be said. FOR my FATHER shall give you a mouth
JUST speak as the SPIRIT gives you words.

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit knows exactly what is needed . as GOD knows ALL things.
we don't know who will hear or wont. we just speak , and God brings his sheep in..........
known unto GOD is who will hear or who wont.
we don't know .............thus we speak to all as the SPIRIT gives us utterance.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've learned a long time ago this doesn't work. I've shared my story before about how I got my atheist dad to start going to church. I tried to talk to him about God, but he was never interested. But when I started going and living the Christian life, it started to change him too.

Some hearts are too hardened. You will never find the right verse to convert them. The bible even talks about laying seed on fertile ground, not ground where it gets wasted. Obviously going to an atheist forum was the wrong move because they prey on people like you.

When God reaches them, they'll start reaching out more, asking questions, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

introverteen

Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Spirit
✟46,033.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Obviously we can't save people but like how would you share the gospel, or evangelise may be a restatement of the question. Like pretend the OP was an atheist how do you 1) defend your faith 2) witness the truth of the gospel?

Well it would be different every time depending on whether they were antagonistic or genuinely seeking.
My go to gospels for unbelievers are Mark and Luke. Although I find Ecclesiastes to be helpful to particularly proud persons.

The important thing they need to know before any real discussion is that we will never fully comprehend GOD and that SCRIPTURE does not include every answer for every specific thing we can think up but that both are necessary for salvation.

So all their intellect and logic whatever they pride their selves on in 'the world' benefits them little when they come to GOD's feet.

• Useful
Reactions: Meek and Mute
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All you can do is preach the Word. Share the gospel of peace and love. Thats all you can do. God gives the increase. 1 Corinthians 3:6 If they dont listen to you then dont bother trying to convert them. The natural man doesnt receive the things of the spirit. 1 Corinthians 2:14

Upvote 0

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you post a link to the thread. I have 30lb red letter edition I can throw at them...might wake em up. :)

But seriously...the thread link? This could be interesting.

I'd rather not... Truth be told, I was trolling them. It's embarrassing on my side. lol

Upvote 0

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well it would be different every time depending on whether they were antagonistic or genuinely seeking.
My go to gospels for unbelievers are Mark and Luke. Although I find Ecclesiastes to be helpful to particularly proud persons.

The important thing they need to know before any real discussion is that we will never fully comprehend GOD and that SCRIPTURE does not include every answer for every specific thing we can think up but that both are necessary for salvation.

So all their intellect and logic whatever they pride their selves on in 'the world' benefits them little when they come to GOD's feet.

The thing with them is that they reject everything the Bible says. They consider it fictional and they flat-out deny Christ's divinity, which is as heretical as things can ever get.

I posed to them about Pascal's Wager and the cosmological argument. It didn't work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The thing with them is that they reject everything the Bible says. They consider it fictional and they flat-out deny Christ's divinity, which is as heretical as things can ever get.

I posed to them about Pascal's Wager and the cosmological argument. It didn't work.
I try to point out flaws in scientific explanations but they'll say just because the Big Bang is flawed doesn't mean God exists. :(

• Prayers
Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Honestly its part of the reason the churches fell so bad in the last few decades.
man tried to use his wisdom on how to grow a church
and if you use wordly wisdom you catch only wordly fish.

Upvote 0

introverteen

Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Spirit
✟46,033.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

Unless GOD hovers over them nothing can be done with them they are spiritually dead walking flesh they cannot understand or collaborate with GOD you can ware yourself out trying.

The best witness you can be to aid the HOLY SPIRIT and conversion of souls is to live a life that emulates CHRIST that is so blessed that it makes unbelievers jealous and come running to you to get what you have.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You could ask them how quantum physics fits in their belief system - a theory of factual truth which reduces everything in existence to energy (spirit) at fundamental level and even life after death is demonstrable.

How Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence l Proof of God l Quantum Theory l Afterlife l God and Science

• Useful
Upvote 0

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We overcome by the blood of the Lamb and (the word of our testimony). Do you have a testimony?

Yes, I do. It's a long story. Wanna hear it?

If you say yes, it'll take a lot of time before I can post it. And to be honest with you, I'd rather you say no. Either way, I'll satisfy your answer.

Upvote 0