Practical Commentary on Scripture (moved from OBOB)

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, progmonk for the opinion! Anyone more with an opinion about should I put $ & time into studies?
Well as part of the theology degree I'm wanting to do they highly suggest doing exegesis courses in the original languages. But also I've sort of started to learn and read in the original languages and it's brilliant getting into the scriptures in this way in my opinion.

More about the Logos software:
Online Bible Study Software? - Catholic Answers Forums
Note that there are special Catholic packages to the software, look at this search: http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=catholic+library
I wonder if there's anyone with opinions on the content of those, is it f.e. dated? The Navarre commentary is missing.

Upvote 0

cybrwurm

Spawn of Epicurus
Feb 6, 2012
Skyrim
Visit site
✟15,172.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
On 29March Unix say: Personal opinion wanted! Hi, wurm!
wurm say: Hey, Unix. How goes the battle?
U: I agree with You on a lot of things,
cool :D
U: it's good that You are critical.
Indeed it is, friend Unix. It is good, and it is also very very necessary ...
U: So I would like to ask You of opinion whether I should <snip>
I'm not sure what you should do, because I'm not sure what the Lord would like you to do. However, I've found that the best path is usually the one that is straightest and shortest. Most college courses seem to be designed for dummies who like to take things slow and easy, and then stretch it out for a long time. It is indeed a waste of time and funds and books. But some RC colleges have extensive libraries that are truly magnificent. I spent many hours just browsing through the thousands of books all lined up nicely and just so. The web can't really substitute for actually having a ton of quality material-resources literally in yours hands, Unix.
On the other hand, all the schools of the scribes and pharisees are commited to various sundry traditions that bind their wrists and eyes; and this effectively prevents them from seeing that their particular understanding of scripture is more or less flawed, outdated, obsolete, and/or not up to handling the truth. The sad fact is that the vast majority of believers are certain beyond measure that their particular view or vision of the bible is, of course, the only right one, and therefore the best. You can see this in almost everyone who posts here (and elsewhere).
So it's those readers who don't post who concern me most. What are they thinking, Unix? Well, I don't know, but I do know that if you want to get at the more, shall we say, "reliable" facts and realities concerning the NT, you're far more likely to do this without the dubious "assistance" of many and heavy "mental-chains" ... if you take my meaning. Yes, to free your mind from distractions ... this is the one thing that really matters. This is the best-way to the-Way. This is the wisdom of the Buddha that Zen has not forgotten. A wise believer will respect the truth in the other great world religions ... and even take notes too! :)

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I added 3 more Hermeneia-volumes, look in:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7644634-post60159103/#poststop
... and click the link Hermeneia Upgrade (3 vols.)
Mt 8-20: Amazon.com: Matthew 8 20 Hermeneia Series (Hermeneia: A Critical & Historical Commentary on the Bible) (9780800660345): Ulrich Luz: Books
... goes through every verse a few verses at a time, explaining among other things the development of interpretation and doctrine
Thanks cybrwurm for the opinion!

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm not gonna invest in a sufficient phone, and I want to be able to refer to page numbers. What do You mean by having a vast library? The list price for the whole Hermeneia NT commentary-set, is $599, and for the the OT also $599, few of the volumes can be bought separately
it's the difference between a few carefully chosen texts in a book, and a vast library accessed through a phone I would have to carry anyway.
There's somebody suggesting the Amos and Hosea volumes of the Anchor Bible -commentary-series: Catholic Answers Forums - View Single Post - Which is your favorite Bible?
... they can't be bought as individual volumes to Logos software which I'm discussing in this thread I mentioned previously:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7644634/
... and in this new thread with a new POLL:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7647231/

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
More about the Jn-commentary by Pheme Perkins, ©Franciscan Herald Press, 1978, an interesting detail about who had heart about the author, and an excerpt from it:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7640127-post60346253/

EDIT: New review Dec. 6. 2012: I've read ¾ through it for the 4th time now. I would still give it *****. The author has broad knowledge. Soulgazer has told me in a PM that the Johannites read the Gospel of Peter, and this Jn-commentary has (a) reference(s?) to the Gospel of Peter.
Further; important topics are covered well. It is critical.
Sidenote: a new book by Pheme Perkins, on a different part of the Bible, is now available in Logos: Paideia: Commentaries on the New Testament Upgrade Collection (4 vols.) ... the pre-pub price is lower than the final price and is offered for a limited time only until the books come out in Logos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
April 22. 2012: I'm really not gonna rush into buying this commentary because I have no money whatsoever left right now and because I'm focusing less on Paul (and 1 Pt) now, but I think it's good. EDIT Sept. 12. 2013: now I focus on Paul + I actually got the set on Aug. 10. 2013 for the pre-pub price: Amazon.com: First Corinthians (Paideia: Commentaries on the New Testament) (9780801033902): Pheme Perkins: Books. EDIT Dec. 6. 2012: It's now available in Logos: Paideia: Commentaries on the New Testament Upgrade Collection (4 vols.) (Sept. 11. 2014 this url is now edited to bring it up from archive) ... the pre-pub price is lower than the final price and is offered for a limited time only until the books come out in Logos. EDIT Sept. 11. 2014: Having six Logos Edition volumes of Paideia (did get the pre-pub 4 vols. while that price lasted) has proved to be the right decision. They are great and more academic and exegetical than they seemed at first, which I base both on my personal opinion and having read several scholars list them among such commentaries on Pauline Epistles such as on Ro and 1 Cor. It's important not to buy every commentary there is:
I thought I'd bring up an old thread. I think the best is not to rush into buying commentaries.
I'm not gonna get more commentaries for a long while now
Regarding the Old Testament it's been hard to find commentaries that would be worth having, since the so called Documentary hypotesis is discarded.

Pheme Perkins has knowledge in a few areas that are necessary when writing commentaries to some books of the Bible: 1 Cor, Eph, Jn:
Personally I think the best commentaries include a mixture of many of the facets of the faith instead of just one authors opinion.

As You can see from the following post, 1 Cor is tricky: http://www.christianforums.com/t7645280-post60345676/
(I think GNT is a valuable version, so I suggested that it be made available as Catholic Edition with the Deuterocanonicals, to Logos 4 software). EDIT Sept. 12. 2013: I promote the 2004 Edition now: 1992 GNT-CE 2nd ed. preferably with Anglicized text and 1971 GNB 3rd ed. NT - Logos Bible Software Forums (EDIT: I have since edited the title of the threa).

Previously edited by Unix; 6th December 2012 at 4:21 PM local time. Reason: DECEMBER 2012 add Logos link
Previously edited by Unix; 12th September 2013 at 11:15 AM local time. Reason: got 4-volume set incl. Perkins, Promote 2004 Edition
Previously edited by Unix; 8th March 2014 at 9:26 PM local time. Reason: adjustments

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
To supplement OT -studies, I suggest the Believer's -series (an Anabaptist -series, but if I would be Protestant my beliefs would be closest to the Anabaptists according to Selectsmart.com) volume on Proverbs. It's thematic:
http://www.amazon.com/Proverbs-Beli...2923/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335181703&sr=8-1
Proverbs - Logos Bible Software
Here are some who like the Believer's-series: Recommendation for a single commentary that covers the entire Bible - Logos Bible Software Forums
It has a very interesting style because it is more of a thematic commentary rather than a systematic one verse by verse. It more uses the main verses and then has a commentary regarding the whole book and places where it has an application in life, its relation to the Church and some patristic comments added in. I notice the OT exegesis isn't as deep as the NT one. As there are around an equal amount of pages for each testament, even though the NT is so much smaller.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Have a look at these:
Language and Imagery of the Bible: Amazon.co.uk: G.B. Caird: Books
http://www.amazon.com/SAINT-LUKE-G-B-CAIRD/dp/B000SCARXU/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&sr=1-2
More copies of the Saint Luke -volume HARDcover
I placed an order for them now, both hardcover, from the UK. Some days ago I cancelled a set from Logos.com, the money should be back on my account within the next days, depending on how fast the money comes back, this order goes trough or doesn't, I placed other orders also.
Lots of interesting in info about the author: G. B. Caird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also: Jonathan Knight, 2 Peter and Jude, New Testament Guides -series, 1995
Here's an excerpt from it: http://www.christianforums.com/t7655702/#post60499710
The older the books, the more the wisdom they have one way or the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I think it's brief.
I wouldn't say bits, as the commentary usually takes up half the page and it almost 2 times smaller font than the verses.

In addition to the 1 Clem translation and commentary I've written about in this thread Practical Commentary on Scripture, I've written a suggestion of a good translations of 1 Clem and Ignatius of Antioch, in: http://www.christianforums.com/t6932525-post60781491/#post60781491
The closer we look back, the closer we get back to the apostles and into that golden apostolic era, so yes, I believe a quote from Clement of Rome or Ignatius would have much more weight than Peter Kreeft or Scott Hahn
There's a commentary on Ezekiel, I've read about the author and I would suggest this as one of the best commentary on Ezekiel: Amazon.com: Ezekiel (Interpretation: a Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching) (9780664238636): Joseph Blenkinsopp: Books ... it's in Logos too.

About electronic resources, there's the thread: http://www.christianforums.com/t7644634-post60135891/#post60135891
... in The Catholic Bookshelf. Where I guide through what Logos.com has to offer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Has anyone read this book by TAN? Apparently it was recommended by 14 bishops and I think even a Pope. It was made in 1920, but it is such a good book apparently a lot of people use it today and had 16 editions. And it probably isn't littered with too much historo-criticism like the New Jerome's commentary is. I found one on amazon for 2 bux! You gotta love the older catholic books. They have this kick that the newer ones just don't have. They don't have problems using words like "Sodomites" and "reprobates", lol. Especially comments like this:

"Detest and fear sin, especially sins of impurity. Set hell before your eyes, think of the horrible torments, carefully avoid all temptations to such sins. Say thus" "What will the whole world profit me, if I follow my own inclinations, and suffer eternity in hell!"

You just don't get stuff like that anymore in sermons or books , lol.

A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture: For the Use of Those who Teach ... - Friedrich Justus Knecht (bp.) - Google Books
I just downloaded it for free. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone read this book by TAN? Apparently it was recommended by 14 bishops and I think even a Pope. It was made in 1920, but it is such a good book apparently a lot of people use it today and had 16 editions. And it probably isn't littered with too much historo-criticism like the New Jerome's commentary is. I found one on amazon for 2 bux! You gotta love the older catholic books. They have this kick that the newer ones just don't have. They don't have problems using words like "Sodomites" and "reprobates", lol. Especially comments like this:

"Detest and fear sin, especially sins of impurity. Set hell before your eyes, think of the horrible torments, carefully avoid all temptations to such sins. Say thus" "What will the whole world profit me, if I follow my own inclinations, and suffer eternity in hell!"

You just don't get stuff like that anymore in sermons or books , lol.

A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture: For the Use of Those who Teach ... - Friedrich Justus Knecht (bp.) - Google Books

Literal fear of God's just punishment is part of our prayer...the Act of Contrition.
Should always assess our actions in light of the fact hell exists and we should avoid it.

Indeed - Political correctness and making black and white too grey - has led to so many problems now calling a sin what it is - a sin.

So many things have changes in this generation - this era - and many ppl go to hell - apathy [lukewarmness].

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
There's a sale on Hermeneia and Continental commentaries. It's nearly 70 volumes and includes the Hermeneia Upgrade (3 vols) but not the Hermeneia Upgrade (2 vols), the latter is volumes that have not yet been released in Logos.
Hermeneia/Continental Commentaries at 50% off - Logos Bible Software Forums
I tried to find the coupon code, but haven't found it! EDIT: Here's the coupon-code: Hermeneia and Continental Commentaries digital edition on sale!, posted by Fortress Forum on July 6, 2012 at 9:21am

Here's a review of Hermeneia: http://wiki.logos.com/Resource$3a_Hermeneia_Commentary
I added 3 more Hermeneia-volumes, look in:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7644634-post60159103/#poststop
... and click the link Hermeneia Upgrade (3 vols.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm most probably going to buy 2 Cor 1-7 by Thrall (1994) in the ICC -series as soon as I afford it, and an excerpt from it will be comming in this thread: http://www.christianforums.com/t7672248/. See this about the Thrall -volume: Commentaries - Logos Bible Software Forums
For 2 Cor 8-9 I have Hermeneia.
[...]Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture [...]

I would definitely recommend these to people. Especially Thomas Stegman's volume on 2 Corinthians.
On the same page there is a recommendation for a commentary on Hebrews: Commentaries - Logos Bible Software Forums
... I have it, just like with all the other recommendations I've made in this thread!

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single