• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Practical Commentary on Scripture (moved from OBOB)

Discussion in 'Bibliology & Hermeneutics' started by StThomasMore, Mar 5, 2011.

1. StThomasMore

StThomasMore Christian Democrat

+90
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Has anyone read this book by TAN? Apparently it was recommended by 14 bishops and I think even a Pope. It was made in 1920, but it is such a good book apparently a lot of people use it today and had 16 editions. And it probably isn't littered with too much historo-criticism like the New Jerome's commentary is. I found one on amazon for 2 bux! You gotta love the older catholic books. They have this kick that the newer ones just don't have. They don't have problems using words like "Sodomites" and "reprobates", lol. Especially comments like this:

"Detest and fear sin, especially sins of impurity. Set hell before your eyes, think of the horrible torments, carefully avoid all temptations to such sins. Say thus" "What will the whole world profit me, if I follow my own inclinations, and suffer eternity in hell!"

You just don't get stuff like that anymore in sermons or books , lol.

http://books.google.com/books?id=4Y...m=4&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Memento Mori

Memento Mori Guest

+0
    Older books are good because they're the ones that were good enough to stick around. Stick around for another 200 years to find out what the good ones from this century were.

3. JoabAnias

JoabAnias Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15 Supporter

+3,138
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Haven't heard of that but did see some books I would like to get here yesterday:
    Ecclesiastical Latin - Books

4. StThomasMore

+90
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat

yea there is some good stuff today. I think Peter Kreeft's stuff will last. John Hardon too.

They have it for 2$ on amazon though. Couldn't pass it up for a book that is almost 900 pages!

Amazon.com: A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture (9780895557575): Frederick Justus Knecht: Books

[​IMG]

5. Virgil the Roman

Virgil the Roman Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .

+1,221
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-American-Solidarity
    I've read it: it's excellent. :)

6. StThomasMore

+90
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat

yea I have been looking it over on google too. It nice to read a commentary that doesn't have too much historical critical in it like a lot of more modern commentaries do. The Collegeville and New Jerome I have heard has become very modernized. The Navarre and Haydock are really good though. Do any of you have any favorite commentaries?

7. JoabAnias

+3,138
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  8. StThomasMore

+90
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
  9. JoabAnias

+3,138
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    YW.

I want that too!

But I just ordered the 1966 Jerusalem and the NABRE!

When I saw it I thought of you though.

10. StThomasMore

+90
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat

just got the book. I really love the cover. It has a very interesting style because it is more of a thematic commentary rather than a systematic one verse by verse. It more uses the main verses and then has a commentary regarding the whole book and places where it has an application in life, its relation to the Church and some patristic comments added in. I notice the OT exegesis isn't as deep as the NT one. As there are around an equal amount of pages for each testament, even though the NT is so much smaller. I still cannot believe it was written in 1920 though before WWII. Its interesting to notice how different the style of theology was back then as today

11. Virgil the Roman

+1,221
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-American-Solidarity
    I noticed it was Thematic; It has certain advantages. It shows the continuity between the Old and New Testaments. :) It does a good job of explaining.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  12. Colin

Colin Senior Veteran

+6,857
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    UK - SNP
    Thank God for that .

13. StThomasMore

+90
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat

the hanzy panzy stuff?

14. Virgil the Roman

+1,221
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-American-Solidarity
    Apparently, We don't get too many sermons on Hell anymore. It'd be nice, I think, to have at least once every four months or so, we need a good Hellfire & Brimstone Sermon; to help aid and keep us out of complacency.

15. JoabAnias

+3,138
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I wish you could attend Mass with the pastors where I go.

They are great preachers!

Every time we get visitors going to Mass with us, good impressions of the sermon are usually their first comment to us.

For us its become so normal that we hardly notice.

16. Virgil the Roman

+1,221
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-American-Solidarity
    It sounds nice! I am going to try attend a Low Mass kindly said by a ICKSP canon our local Latin Mass guild is having to come our area. It's the best I've got for now (otherwise, I try to go to Byzantine Churches.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  17. JoabAnias

+3,138
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    There is always the internet. We have Fathers of Mercy preaching at my Church about twice a year.

We just had a SOLT priest give a parish mission and Michael Voris [who I have learned to take with a grain of salt] is coming to talk about Eucharistic Adoration torward the end of the month.

In the past two years we have had people like Dr. Ray Gurende, Steven Ray, Sisters of Mercy, and Theresa Tomeo and several others speaking too.

Don't know where you live but there are tons of ways to augment your parish. I used to do it with EWTN but nothing beats actually getting involved in the Parish. You should definitely be teaching CCD or something. Does your parish have a youth group? ;)

18. Unix

Unix Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar Supporter

+69
    Anglican
    Single
    I think the best is not to rush into buying commentaries.
    Regarding the Old Testament it's been hard to find commentaries that would be worth having, since the so called Documentary hypothesis is discarded.

Previously edited by Unix; 13th January 2012 at 5:55 AM local time. Reason: accidental DP, replace with general text

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  19. Unix

+69
    Anglican
    Single
    More on what I regard Scripture: http://www.christianforums.com/t7622288-post59490562/#post59490562
    2 Esdras (=4 Esdras or Apocalypse of Esdra)
    http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Eschatology-Including-Resurrection-Messianism/dp/1242720499
    ... I've just ordered, after having scrolled through all the commentaries there is
    Mt 8-20: http://www.amazon.com/Matthew-20-Hermeneia-Historical-Commentary/dp/080066034X
    ... goes through every verse a few verses at a time, explaining among other things the development of interpretation and doctrine. Here's an excerpt from it: Questions about Matthew 10.37 - page 2
    Jn: http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-John-Pheme-Perkins/dp/0819906867
    ... about the author: Pheme Perkins - Theology Department - Boston College
    ... I've just ordered, after having compared on amazon giving a thought to most commentariees there is
    Ro: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0801031893/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1JXFCACBWZLJY
    Jas: http://www.amazon.com/James-Testament-Readings-Richard-Bauckham/dp/0415103703
    ... much on theology and wisdom, among other features meticulously lists scripture references and references to Jewish Pseudepigrapha, Dead Sea Scrolls, Hellenistic Jewish authors, Targums and Rabbinic literature, Other ancient litterature, Early Christian litterature
    1 Clem: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clement-Early-Church-Rome-ebook/dp/B004OEIWGC
    ... I've just ordered, after having scrolled through all the commentaries there is
    I don't think the Sacra Pagina or Navarre or Haydock are necessary, see my above recommendations

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  20. Unix

+69
    Anglican
    Single
    Genesis: http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Berit-Olam-David-Cotter/dp/0814650406/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2#_
    Scripture quotes are from the NRSV-CE unless otherwise noted. Had read during January 2012 about the theology of the Roman Catholic Church in the book: Christianity, A Complete Guide, by John Bowden, Continuum. EDIT DEC. 21. 2014: it's since shipped in Logos/Verbum but is still bundled.

EDIT DEC. 21. 2014: Have a look at my... ... if You want to cover books of the Bible on which You don't need a full treatment (about a two-volume commentary of the entire Bible). I basically don't use any of.... ... is where I list the Bible versions. Practical Commentary on Scripture is the start of this thread, it's always in my signature as well and here You have a more full discussion than a two-volume commentary can provide and reviewers are welcome to post their contributions! All of these posts are maintained, close to a hundred ones and probably going to be several hundred before I'm done a couple of decades from now. :study:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014