Practical Commentary on Scripture (moved from OBOB)

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
See this post: Ephesians: An Exegetical Commentary (Hoehner) - Logos Bible Software Forums ... for practical commentaries on Malachi, 1 Thessalonians and Jude.
~350 pages a volume, compared to ~250 pages in the Jn commentary I suggested. And it's annoying that they include the full NAB text. Yeah the volume on Mt 8-20 that I suggested is at least twice the size, but I think that when it comes to Mt it's necessary with thicker volumes.

Does it hold strongly to the Q-hypothesis? Would make it tiresome to read
especially if it ellaborates on that.Doesn't look that practical when it has a lot of catechism references.
I'm reading Mary Healy's Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture - Mark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I give 1400 blessings to the next user, anyone, who posts in this thread! But please comment on some of the posts I've made or write a review about something!

I've summarized my Summer, Fall and Winter posts (on other forums), in: I am curious to know How much dollars some one could have invested to logos Bible software. - Logos Bible Software Forums

WarriorAngel, that could be a good budget one-volume sollution. Since it includes the Bible text itself I don't find it all that practical:

Still, other cheap options are the ones in: http://www.christianforums.com/t7641923-post60058245/
...I would prefer UPDV because it's the most critical and has almost everything You need (parts of Sirach missing, but it's anyhow difficult to find commentaries on Sirach).
...supplemented with some of the commentaries I recommend in this thread!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
you'd probably really like the kindle. The iPad might be good too for reading books on the go.

I find it harder to read digital devices, and like I said I REALLY don't like eletronics. Doesn't digital devices wear out much more quickly than printed books and it's hard to make markings and write in digital books?

eh... my kindle broke recently, only had it for 6 months or so -.- :mad::mad::mad: it was easy on the eyes but it was hard to read the little footnotes that most of the types of books I read have. :cry:

sorry i don't have much to say today.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
EDIT APRIL 3. 2015: To go to the newest post by me in this thread: Two OTL volumes free! Use the... from March 31. 2015. Accordance sometimes has a 20% off storewide sale. It's also possible to take webinars and get coupon-codes for 15% off. Discounts can't be combined. Full-time student discount is 10% and allows You to transfer licenses to another user if You would need to (the charge is $25 per transfer and person) unlike the competing software.

YOU ARE WELCOME TO POST REVIEWS IN THIS THREAD! Academic commentaries are preferred. Please post even when it's been a long time since I posted! You may quote something too! You don't have to choose to write only things You think I agree with.

On my CF profile You can also find things like a link to where I specify English Bible versions I use.

A post where I summon which commentary sets, some of the English Bibles and the Bible Study softwares I use, is: 1. The Catholic and Anglican... from March 31. 2015, and I will keep updating it.

Libronix/Logos 3 is still "supported" - I checked this during March 2015: You have to email customer service to get Your digital license file compiled and emailed to You. Go to Your Orders page on the web and download the files for the resources You want from the tab for Libronix at the right. You also first need to ensure that You're on Internet Explorer 8 - You can roll back the Internet Explorer version updates in the Windows Updates if You have updated, and the newest operative system You can use is Win 7 (also works on Vista and XP, the procedure is the same). It's the software with most books available that runs on Win XP, and it's faster for almost all operations and requires much less RAM on Win Vista and 7 than the newer versions. It also consumes only half the HDD/SSD space due to the format of the files, except when it comes to books that consist mainly of images. Even after the support definitely ends You will likely be able to keep and re-install what You had the last time You received a license file. It's 32-bit software. (The current version, version 6 is 64-bit, except if Your Windows system is 32-bit then the software is 32-bit.)

EDIT October 19th 2014: See this post for really cheap software:
cheap software +...
... since not all books in the store are compatible with it (You may PM here or try to get hold of "Denise" on the Logos forums by posting there to find out whether the book You are about to purchase is compatible), especially not new pre-pubs (and new community pricing items) You'll be able to restrain Your purchases. Runs on XP, Vista and Window 7, but You must use no other Internet Explorer version than 8 (which is btw still udated, I just had it updated with Oct. 14. 2014 Windows updates, and at the moment Vista is still somewhat supported and very cheap, but XP is definitely the fastest of the three as it's less disk intense and requires much less RAM). It's also faster than the latest version despite that the corporiation has hired C++ and C# programmers to make the forthcoming version (5.3a, 5.3b or 5.4) faster.

[previous content deleted mid-Oct. 2014]

Previously edited by Unix; 17th October 2014 at 7:07 PM local time. Reason: expired 1½ years ago
Previously edited by Unix; 19th October 2014 at 10:20 PM local time. Reason: Libronix/Logos 3 is right now temporarily supported

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I still hold to all the recommendations I've given in this thread "Practical Commentary on Scripture".
See this new post: What are the Top Ten Intermediate commentary series prioritised in your Logos and justify? - Logos Bible Software Forums

The largest part of the commentaries I have are in Logos.

Someone has offered me a "used" copy of UBS Translators Handbook New Testament in Accordance, I'm thinking of bidding $85. And I want to have Sirach in Logos or Accordance - whichever releases it. But that and some technical commentaries I have don't belong in "Practical Commentaries on Scripture". One of the technical commentaries does however have a point regarding one verse: Hermeneia-series Matthew 8-20, by Ulrich Luz, a 600-page volume, and it tells us that Mt 11:27 was added by the church. That particular verse, not its parallel passage, was used by Arians to refuse Trinity, plus a today's denomination (I ordered their booklet for free). See the page from Hermeneia: p. 164.

When I'm going to college I'm going to be well prepared. I'm going to take classical Gk classes first. I have been buying books which I will have use of for a long time:
Most college courses seem to be designed for dummies who like to take things slow and easy, and then stretch it out for a long time. It is indeed a waste of time and funds and books. But some RC colleges have extensive libraries that are truly magnificent. I spent many hours just browsing through the thousands of books all lined up nicely and just so. The web can't really substitute for actually having a ton of quality material-resources literally in yours hands, Unix.
On the other hand, all the schools of the scribes and pharisees are commited to various sundry traditions that bind their wrists and eyes; and this effectively prevents them from seeing that their particular understanding of scripture is more or less flawed, outdated, obsolete, and/or not up to handling the truth. The sad fact is that the vast majority of believers are certain beyond measure that their particular view or vision of the bible is, of course, the only right one, and therefore the best. You can see this in almost everyone who posts here (and elsewhere).
So it's those readers who don't post who concern me most. What are they thinking, Unix? Well, I don't know, but I do know that if you want to get at the more, shall we say, "reliable" facts and realities concerning the NT, you're far more likely to do this without the dubious "assistance" of many and heavy "mental-chains" ... if you take my meaning. Yes, to free your mind from distractions ... this is the one thing that really matters.
... I would have wanted to keep discussing with cybrwurm.

I have some commentaries as printed matter, I've mentioned most of them here.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The Caird volume on Lk in the quote is really good:

Sidenote: I have Hermeneia on Lk by Bovon, it's definately the best in-depth technical commentary, but it doesn't fall into the "practical commentary" category. Plus I have a good devotional on Lk: Falling in Love with Jesus: Studies in the Book of Luke (I got it as a pre-pub order for $16.95).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Now the Hermeneia/Continental-set finally has "custom" or "dynamical" pricing, see: Attention Hermeneia owners who are missing the Odes of Solomon - Logos Bible Software Forums ... for an explanation. It means that if You own some volumes of it in Logos, You are discounted for those if You buy the set! Search Logos for: Hermeneia or for: Continental commentaries

A note: however, these are technical, a bit too much for the purpose of this thread. But the Hermeneia commentaries provide a lot of verse-by-verse information on the history of interpretation.

Below I've quoted the posts in this thread that are about Hermeneia -volumes:
I added 3 more Hermeneia-volumes, look in:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7644634-post60159103/#poststop
... and click the link Hermeneia Upgrade (3 vols.)
Those volumes are on Mt 1-7, Mk, Acts.

An excerpt from the Mt 1-7 commentary by Luz, Ulrich (2007). (Rev. ed.): © Fortress Press: http://www.christianforums.com/t7664120-post60779969/#post60779969
Here's a review of Hermeneia: Resource: Hermeneia Commentary

Sidenote: I have Hermeneia on Lk by Bovon, it's definately the best in-depth technical commentary, but it doesn't fall into the "practical commentary" category.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
For those who are concerned about weight and battery-life, books in Logos can perhaps be used on tablets soon, see: Requesting user feedback: Send to Kindle feature:
With electronic resources weight is not an issue:
Unix said:
~350 pages a volume, compared to ~250 pages in the Jn commentary I suggested.

EDIT: I've written about what's in my opinion the best option, at: The Revised English Bible on a 7" tablet $154.

Yes, that's what I meant. I agree with You and I wouldn't want to support Amazon (they are not focusing on Christianity and are Logos's biggest competitor, I want Logos to stay in business):
Perhaps you meant "... can be used on book readers soon". Pointless if you ask me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
For those who are concerned about weight and battery-life, books in Logos can perhaps be used on tablets soon, see: Requesting user feedback: Send to Kindle feature:

Books in Logos have been usable on tablets and phones for some time. I use logos, olive tree and book readers on an ipad.

Perhaps you meant "... can be used on book readers soon". Pointless if you ask me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I still hold to all the recommendations I've given in this thread "Practical Commentary on Scripture"!

I recommend to get this one on the Pastorals now for a sale-price of $41.95:
A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Pastoral Epistles!
There's discussion about the set in: Best critical commentary:
I still hold to all the recommendations I've given in this thread "Practical Commentary on Scripture".

(I first bid low, then) I bid and got it for $90 plus license transfer fee $25. Logos is releasing Sirach, it's on pre-pub (that means it's a sale-price) together with some other new volumes from UBS Translator's Handbook for $119.95: UBS Handbook Series Upgrade (6 vols.):
Someone has offered me a "used" copy of UBS Translators Handbook New Testament in Accordance, I'm thinking of bidding $85. And I want to have Sirach in Logos or Accordance - whichever releases it.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Here's another review: I tried to be non-biased. It's a commentary on Philippians. Plus it's based on a Bible version that is one of the very least biased, the 1989 Revised English Bible:
Howard Marshall (1991). The Epistle to the PHILIPPIANS. Epworth commentaries. Epworth Press, Westminster, London. 155 pages.
It has an introduction. It's verse-by-verse. Gk is transliterated. It deals with the main grammatical and exegetical problems, and talks also about how Philippians relates to our days. I would say it's somewhat critical and balanced.
The author has since written more commentaries in other series and seems trusted, this shows and adds to the value of this commentary.
It has excellent cross-referencing to other parts of the Bible, altough there are of course specialized resources with much more cross-references. But the cross-references in this commentary are the ones that are worthwhile to look up, and also cover where something is repeatedly said in the Bible.
It has also historical information from the era of the Bible.
It's paperback only. The print is really good.
All-in-all a quality commentary which pretty much contains what suffices for most users, only drawback being the transliteration, I give it ***** also because it's even throughout in all categories:
With electronic resources weight is not an issue:
~350 pages a volume, compared to ~250 pages in the Jn commentary I suggested:
I'm reading Mary Healy's Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture - Mark.

I would definitely recommend these to people. Especially Thomas Stegman's volume on 2 Corinthians.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
New sale on Hermeneia, entire set, this time in Accordance: Hermeneia Commentary Set (48 Volumes)
Sale price: $649.99. Sale ends: July 24. 2013.
Doesn't include Lk volume 2: verses 9:51-19:27. Logos has recently added that volume, it's from 2013: 560 pages, $44.95 https://www.logos.com/product/33560/hermeneia-luke-2-a-commentary-on-the-gospel-of-luke-9-51-19-27 ... the status of it is "under development" since today. The Lk volumes in Hermeneia are by Bovon and really good!

Accordance is not freeware. The Starter collection costs $49.99.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hermeneia is on a sale again! But it's rare that it's on a sale. About the sale: Get big back-to-school savings from Logos! - Logos Bible Software
0488.hermenia.JPG

2134.hermeneiaspecial.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0